BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Lane assist has started to behave erratically

11-14-2023, 05:55 PM   #45
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i MHD+XHP Stg 2/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael911 View Post
SOLUTION from DE forum:
Reset EPS and DSC control unit
Disconnect battery for 10 minutes.

LKA works as new. For someone disconnecting battery is enough.
This miraculously worked for me!

I disconnected the battery last night for 20 minutes and reinstalled. Did 100 mile round trip today and the difference was night and day. The system held its lanes incredibly well and even stayed locked in on slight bends going 80mph. If the car didn't make you put your hands on the wheel I almost would have trusted it to drive itself for most of trip on the straighter stretches of highway.

Unbelievable how much better the system is after such a simple solution. I did a deep dive into that German forum and many users in Europe replaced their whole Kafas systems, windshields, and other various electronic units in the car with virtually no improvement whereas the battery disconnect seemed to be a better solution than replacing hardware since I believe this is a software issue.

I was unsure how I felt about the car given this feature but after trying it today, definitely made me fall in love with the car again, I frequently go on roadtrips so this will be a lifesaver for fatigue on those longer boring stretches of roads. Thanks so much for the odd but effective solution.
Appreciate 1
Spyder366.00
      11-15-2023, 12:50 AM   #46
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes lane assist is perfectly useable on the pre LCI as long as you cater for its inadequacies.
Those in my experience are often choosing the exit lane of a motorway when in lane 1 , a nudge on the steering back to lane 1 is all that’s required to get it back but once you know that, you can predict it and be ready for it in those circumstances

Bad road markings can throw it off

I used it at night on the motorway and found it to work under those circumstances aswell

So yes perfectly useable.

The LCI does improve matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:52 AM   #47
alwino
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i EDE

Even though I own a G32, i always look up the G30 solutions since the popularity of G32 is very low.

Anyway, i just came here to report that taking off the negative pole miraculously worked and I am damn pleased about it. My LKA would always let go off the lanes far too soon and far to quick. It would also only pick the lanes up after I keep the car perfectly straight for some time, making the whole thing useless.

After this fix LKA kept engaged for my whole highway trip of 300 kilometers. Such a delight, I love the system again.

Oh and it improved my parking assistant system too! Ow it recognizes parking spots again blazing fast whereas before it would not see the parking spaces so quick
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 02:04 AM   #48
AP
Major General
Rep

Great that it is fixed
Technical curiosity though as to why this fixes it?!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 04:56 PM   #49
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM40i View Post
This miraculously worked for me!

I disconnected the battery last night for 20 minutes and reinstalled. Did 100 mile round trip today and the difference was night and day. The system held its lanes incredibly well and even stayed locked in on slight bends going 80mph. If the car didn't make you put your hands on the wheel I almost would have trusted it to drive itself for most of trip on the straighter stretches of highway.

Unbelievable how much better the system is after such a simple solution. I did a deep dive into that German forum and many users in Europe replaced their whole Kafas systems, windshields, and other various electronic units in the car with virtually no improvement whereas the battery disconnect seemed to be a better solution than replacing hardware since I believe this is a software issue.

I was unsure how I felt about the car given this feature but after trying it today, definitely made me fall in love with the car again, I frequently go on roadtrips so this will be a lifesaver for fatigue on those longer boring stretches of roads. Thanks so much for the odd but effective solution.
if i have 2 batteries do i need to disconnect both batteries?
Appreciate 1
Spyder366.00
      06-03-2024, 02:31 PM   #50
Spyder3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
if i have 2 batteries do i need to disconnect both batteries?
Same question here. My car has 2 batteries; one under the hood/bonnet and another below the trunk floor.

Which battery should be disconnected to reset the Lane Assistance feature? One or both?

Thanks!
      07-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #51
TheAlphaGeek
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340ix xdrive

Garage List
I also have 2 batteries and a high voltage battery, as it's a hybrid model. Worse case, I'll try the one in the trunk. If that doesn't do anything I'll do both.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 03:45 PM   #52
Spyder3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder3 View Post
Same question here. My car has 2 batteries; one under the hood/bonnet and another below the trunk floor.

Which battery should be disconnected to reset the Lane Assistance feature? One or both?

Thanks!
FYI as my 2018 540i has two batteries, I disconnected both of them for about 20 minutes. Now the lane keeping assistance works as new. Do it.

Also, I did not lose any coding or radio presets or anything like that. I'm a happy camper.
      07-18-2024, 05:20 PM   #53
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder3 View Post

Thanks!
the answer is no, i disconnected the trunk battery and the entire car is dead. so the second battery i have no idea what it's for.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 05:41 PM   #54
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Great that it is fixed
Technical curiosity though as to why this fixes it?!
One thing we can be certain of is that it is volatile memory that clears. Meaning that it is not firmware or protected memory. All cars these days have something called KAM (keep alive memory) which is cleared when power is removed. This must be of that type. Similar to when a battery is disconnected and the car must be put through drive cycles again before it can be emission tested. All parameters get refreshed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 06:09 AM   #55
CGH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BWM 740i

I have a 2017 740i and it is doing the same thing. Ping ponging all over the road to the point where it is dangerous.

The dealer, at first said that's the way it operates - until they took it for a drive and viewed a video I had taken. After several weeks in the dealership they replaced the kafas camera's but still not working properly.

I'm pleased to finally come across your post. I will speak with the dealer again and ask them about the control unit.

One thing that annoys me is when the dealer says "we've never heard of that before". All they have to do us google and read a few threads from the rest of the world.

As an aside. We have a 2019 Golf GTI and the lane keeping is PERFECT! The LKA is one of the reasons I purchased the 740. Hopefully the dealer will be able to address this to the point it's usable.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 07:25 AM   #56
AP
Major General
Rep

Hopefully that battery disconnect reset works for you
Same year as my previous 5 so maybe it’s the same hardware?

Nothing to lose by doing this.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 07:12 AM   #57
CGH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BWM 740i

Hey Major General, I've sent you a message as well but I cannot believe this actually worked!

I've been searching for an answer to this for over 2 years. However, only yesterday did I search the topic without 740i and found this thread.

BMW Australia reported to me that they had no knowledge of the situation and their global database had no details of this issue. They did however replace the kafas camera's for the cost of labour only, as a way of trying to rectify the ping-pong effect but this didn't fix the situation.

They couldn't understand my frustration that an AUD $260,000 car behaved in such a manner where my $50,000 GOLF had better lane keeping than a BMW.

I was going to sell the BMW and go back to a Lexus LS 500 but now I'll keep it for a while longer.

Wish I could buy you a pint or a vino or shot of something to say thanks.

regards from Australia

SORRY BLUESTREAK 2018, I've gone back and realised this was your work. Many thanks.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture976.50
      Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #58
Respect
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlphaGeek View Post
I also have 2 batteries and a high voltage battery, as it's a hybrid model. Worse case, I'll try the one in the trunk. If that doesn't do anything I'll do both.
Hi TheAlphaGeek. I also have a 2018 BMW 530e with the same problem. Were you able to solve the problem by disconnecting the batteries? I'm afraid of disconnecting the batteries and then getting a bunch of errors on the dashboard. thanks
Appreciate 0