F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > £22-£30k - What would you buy...
ARMA SPEED

12-30-2022, 10:56 AM   #45
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Wouldn't surprise me going through a set of fronts in 10k miles. I bet to meet the extensive approved used checks they dropped what ever front tyres they had in stock on. I bet rear brake pads are getting low also if it's been driven hard.
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      12-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #46
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

My experiences with "Approved Used" have been generally poor. The worst was one I agreed to buy remotely on the basis that an approved used with only 8k miles much be good only to arrive and discover it had been well and truly ragged. Lots of scratches (nothing deep but seriously bad car washing. Tyres that were really worn on extreme edge on one side (obviously had been tracked). Interior had been barely cleaned at all and in spite of my expressly asking not for it to be sprayed with product reeked of fake new car smell. Actually nauseating. I just rejected it there and then and had learnt my lesson to not take any of this stuff on trust. See the car in the flesh and inspect it as if it hasn't really been inspected at all.

As for your experience. Not much of that is really a cause for serious objection I suspect except the boot struts. Ask them to return it to stock. Then ask the searching questions - what has or has not been checked and confirmed. Ask to see the actual paperwork because missing dust caps, remnants of stickers etc. all point to a car that has not been properly prepared at all.
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      12-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #47
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
They left a caffeine cruise sticker on the back glass.
The boot struts have been replaced with some sprung contraption that almost takes your chin off if you stand too close (https://emeraldstruts.com/)
It has Michelin PS4's on the rear and, seemingly new, Bridgestone Potenzas S005 on the front (previous owner burned through a front set in 10k miles it seems)
There are no dust caps on the TPMS valves on the front
Had 160 miles added in delivery (dealer to me is 100 miles)

It's giving me a niggle that the previous owner modded it a fair bit and there may be more stuff I'm not aware of/seeing etc. I love the car, but this buying experience isn't sitting well with me.

How on earth did such things get through the 'extensive approved used checks' (joking aside I really wonder what they checked).

Thoughts welcome!
If you have doubts tell the supplying dealer in no uncertain terms and even reject the car if you are not happy. There are others!

I presume the car was expensive; especially as it is "BMW approved used". To my mind you shouldn't have to have any 'niggling doubts' with a car like that.

"Approved used" is easy for them on an 18 month old car as there is another 18 months of manufacturer-backed warranty on it. They get good rates from BMW if warranty work is needed too in that time.

From the clues you have given sounds like a 'younger' person bought that car on PCP, or lease, for a couple of years then handed it back after a year or so after using and abusing it. Difficult to prove, admittedly, but wouldn't sit well with me I'm afraid.

I spend a lot of time on various BMW forums and see far too many people buying cars from dealers (approved or not) and having major issues within a week or so then battling to get them addressed. Most then give up and pay for the work themselves.
We put up with poor service from the motor industry too often IMO. No incentive for them to get better.
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2022, 12:44 PM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

New tyres on a powerful front driver in 10k miles, not unusual or hard. And maybe a sign of a lot of manoeuvring....

Does having a cruise sticker mean he drove it hard, or that he was a petrol head and looked after it? And where does driving it hard end and ragging it senseless begin? My brother, a mechanic, would definitely say there us a lot to be said for the Italian tune technique, and a car driven harder will be better than one laboured and never revved.

Does the rear parcel shelf and boot look good as the more powerful struts might have been needed for a system instal?

What I am saying is those few things don't mean anything on there own. But cruise sticker may mean you can get some history from the cruise insta or FB page...?

The 60 miles extra wad probably mainly a pre delivery road test, perhaps to get tyres fitted before delivery too....
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      12-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #49
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

The struts are a popular mod on babybmw for that auto boot fully open instead of the boot just popping unlocked.
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      12-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #50
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
Wouldn't surprise me going through a set of fronts in 10k miles. I bet to meet the extensive approved used checks they dropped what ever front tyres they had in stock on. I bet rear brake pads are getting low also if it's been driven hard.
Thanks for the heads up, ill give it a look in the morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
My experiences with "Approved Used" have been generally poor. The worst was one I agreed to buy remotely on the basis that an approved used with only 8k miles much be good only to arrive and discover it had been well and truly ragged. Lots of scratches (nothing deep but seriously bad car washing. Tyres that were really worn on extreme edge on one side (obviously had been tracked). Interior had been barely cleaned at all and in spite of my expressly asking not for it to be sprayed with product reeked of fake new car smell. Actually nauseating. I just rejected it there and then and had learnt my lesson to not take any of this stuff on trust. See the car in the flesh and inspect it as if it hasn't really been inspected at all.

As for your experience. Not much of that is really a cause for serious objection I suspect except the boot struts. Ask them to return it to stock. Then ask the searching questions - what has or has not been checked and confirmed. Ask to see the actual paperwork because missing dust caps, remnants of stickers etc. all point to a car that has not been properly prepared at all.
I don't see me rejecting it, its a great spec at a great (albeit high-ish) price. Maybe if they just ship me the stock struts I might be a bit more accepting of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
If you have doubts tell the supplying dealer in no uncertain terms and even reject the car if you are not happy. There are others!

I presume the car was expensive; especially as it is "BMW approved used". To my mind you shouldn't have to have any 'niggling doubts' with a car like that.

"Approved used" is easy for them on an 18 month old car as there is another 18 months of manufacturer-backed warranty on it. They get good rates from BMW if warranty work is needed too in that time.

From the clues you have given sounds like a 'younger' person bought that car on PCP, or lease, for a couple of years then handed it back after a year or so after using and abusing it. Difficult to prove, admittedly, but wouldn't sit well with me I'm afraid.

I spend a lot of time on various BMW forums and see far too many people buying cars from dealers (approved or not) and having major issues within a week or so then battling to get them addressed. Most then give up and pay for the work themselves.
We put up with poor service from the motor industry too often IMO. No incentive for them to get better.
I know it was a fairly young guy, had equity in it and cashed out for a diesel. I guess I am alright for the first 14 days (they have a return guarantee as long as I don't do lots of miles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
New tyres on a powerful front driver in 10k miles, not unusual or hard. And maybe a sign of a lot of manoeuvring....

Does having a cruise sticker mean he drove it hard, or that he was a petrol head and looked after it? And where does driving it hard end and ragging it senseless begin? My brother, a mechanic, would definitely say there us a lot to be said for the Italian tune technique, and a car driven harder will be better than one laboured and never revved.

Does the rear parcel shelf and boot look good as the more powerful struts might have been needed for a system instal?

What I am saying is those few things don't mean anything on there own. But cruise sticker may mean you can get some history from the cruise insta or FB page...?

The 60 miles extra wad probably mainly a pre delivery road test, perhaps to get tyres fitted before delivery too....
Good point on the social side, ill have a dig around. No install in the car (the boot is hardly used, and has HK anyway). The 60 extra miles are pure delivery - the dealer gave me the mileage at handover to the driver this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
The struts are a popular mod on babybmw for that auto boot fully open instead of the boot just popping unlocked.
Yeah can see why, but the sheer fact they are there (its handy to pop the boot open, not so much if you try and close it merely pulling the internal handle. I suppose part of me likes them and part of me says if they go wrong the warranty won't cover it (gas struts aren't too expensive though which is one saving grace).

I guess it just comes down to the lack of care in the prep - especially annoying as they had an extra week to get it right because they couldn't deliver any earlier.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 05:56 AM   #51
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

It looks like your car is on 19” alloys, which would more than likely come with Bridgestones as std, although a very small amount were shipped with Goodyear if I remember correctly. Michelins were only available on 18” wheels as a no cost option as 19” star marked weren’t available. Looks like someone re-shod it in Michelin and the dealers fitted star marked Bridgestones.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 07:24 AM   #52
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
So its arrived and after a proper wash ill get some decent pics up.

Initial impressions are its a absolute hoot (well it would be, I've been driving a Kia during lockdown )

Car has the 50 year badges/hubs on - which I knew about and was fine with as they suit the white/red combo well. But. All is not that good and need a bit of advice on what I should do.

They left a caffeine cruise sticker on the back glass.
The boot struts have been replaced with some sprung contraption that almost takes your chin off if you stand too close (https://emeraldstruts.com/)
It has Michelin PS4's on the rear and, seemingly new, Bridgestone Potenzas S005 on the front (previous owner burned through a front set in 10k miles it seems)
There are no dust caps on the TPMS valves on the front
Had 160 miles added in delivery (dealer to me is 100 miles)

It's giving me a niggle that the previous owner modded it a fair bit and there may be more stuff I'm not aware of/seeing etc. I love the car, but this buying experience isn't sitting well with me.

How on earth did such things get through the 'extensive approved used checks' (joking aside I really wonder what they checked).

Thoughts welcome!
I’m not a fan of modded cars, and like you i would suspect there is other less obvious stuff and maybe a map that has been removed. For me (and I stress, for me) I would reject. But I’m very particular about stuff like that.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Pond1923.50
      12-31-2022, 07:35 AM   #53
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hyundai i30n manual from that list
      12-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #54
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hyundai i30n manual from that list
Still got the Kona N Chris? Or moved on from that already!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #55
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Still got the Kona N Chris? Or moved on from that already!
Nope still have it, love it. Perfect work, family do it all car for me.

If anything else comes in for 23 it woudl be the weekend compliment car. I see the Kona had a revamp and the N won’t make it through onto the next gen of a lot of their models. I genuinely couldn’t recommend the Kona N high enough. £35k with every option I need, it genuinely sounds excellent too. I’m scratching my head as to how and why ‘H’ are able to get their little 2L sounding like this when most other exhausts are so quiet.

Anyway yes, Fri your original post is highly recommend an i30N manual or DCT. (The DCT box is fantastic).
      12-31-2022, 10:52 AM   #56
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Don’t think there are any remaps out there for the 128ti, so he should be fairly safe on that front
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #57
speedski
Major
Rep

I am rapidly losing patience with this car already.

The 60 miles excess delivery was because the first driver was finishing his day so had to divert 60 miles to the hub to give it to another driver - yet collected the car at 9am. It doesn't make sense.

Apparently fitting non matching tyres is okay, not part of the approved used check (even though everytime I have sold a BMW I get stung on non * tyres requiring replacement as it can't be an approved used without).

Struts are okay as they are of good quality, condition so wouldn't fail approved used check - they go on to say the same would be with non genuine alloys, if they are in good condition they would be acceptable as approved used?!

Anyone got any detail on what actually is checked in the approved used check?

As it stands I've stopped driving it and considering returning it under the money back guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:46 AM   #58
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

The 60 miles excess delivery was because the first driver was finishing his day so had to divert 60 miles to the hub to give it to another driver - yet collected the car at 9am. It doesn't make sense.

Apparently fitting non matching tyres is okay, not part of the approved used check (even though everytime I have sold a BMW I get stung on non * tyres requiring replacement as it can't be an approved used without).

Struts are okay as they are of good quality, condition so wouldn't fail approved used check - they go on to say the same would be with non genuine alloys, if they are in good condition they would be acceptable as approved used?!

As it stands I've stopped driving it and considering returning it under the money back guarantee.
I think given that feeling, you are best just to send it back, not sure they could do anything now that would rescue the car and it would always be tarnished....

If its AUC, you should have been given a list of the checks done when you reserved / it was delivered.... or they should be available on dealers website. Part of the contract terms.
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      01-05-2023, 12:17 PM   #59
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

The last paragraph. You’re never going to love it, send it back. It’s not worth having misgivings over a car you’ve bought to enjoy.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      01-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #60
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Sadly I agree. It’s over. Your post pretty much tells us you know it’s over too. Send it back and start again I say. You should never have to be putting up with such issues when spending a lot of money on a new, to you, car from a main dealer under their AUC.
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      01-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #61
speedski
Major
Rep

So here's the thing. I don't dislike the car at all. I love it. I only stopped driving it so I have an element of option.

I just need it to have the paperwork and confirmation it is what it is and does what it does.

I didn't event get a single piece of AUC paperwork - I am starting to think, as it was never advertised, that it isn't an AUC. Its just been sold on given it has the original warranty. So I guess I should at least insist on seeing the paperwork or proof.

The tone of the reply wasn't even remotely apologetic. And they might be fine to take it back - I can't get the same anywhere else in the UK for less than £3k more.

So although returning is an option, its very much an option without alternative 128ti.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #62
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Quote:
So here's the thing. I don't dislike the car at all. I love it. I only stopped driving it so I have an element of option.

I just need it to have the paperwork and confirmation it is what it is and does what it does.

I didn't event get a single piece of AUC paperwork - I am starting to think, as it was never advertised, that it isn't an AUC. Its just been sold on given it has the original warranty. So I guess I should at least insist on seeing the paperwork or proof.

The tone of the reply wasn't even remotely apologetic. And they might be fine to take it back - I can't get the same anywhere else in the UK for less than £3k more.

So although returning is an option, its very much an option without alternative 128ti.
I think you should trust your instinct and the advice being given here. Nagging doubts will not evaporate. There are things about this car that are questionable. Walk away. There are plenty more cars out there. You suggest the car is £3k cheaper than the alternatives. It is being sold by a dealer. They are not going to throw away £3k. Maybe someone has taken the view it is only worth that because of issues and they want shot of it.
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      01-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #63
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

It's good that dealers do this money back guarantee thing. But surely another owner goes on the log book so the dealers are probably not so keen on this.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
speedski552.50
      01-05-2023, 06:25 PM   #64
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
1. Bmw dealers have salesmen that can sell non approved cars in the premises of the bmw dealership (local Arnold Clark outfit does that).
2. If its not a bmw AUC car then if there are further mods/maps etc that aren't apparent now but bmw know of them when there is a problem that 18 month warranty won't cover it.
3. In a non xdrive car having matching tyres across the same axle I think is the standard.
4. Good spec and price etc are secondary. If there are hidden issues underneath this can turn out to be a headache quickly and since you have the right to reject you're in control now.
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2023, 05:01 AM   #65
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
It's good that dealers do this money back guarantee thing. But surely another owner goes on the log book so the dealers are probably not so keen on this.
If the money back guarantee encourages BMW dealers to only put the best cars out there as Approved Used then it's working in my view. Any slightly questionable cars should be auctioned off or go for trade sale to be sold elsewhere.

I've always been happy to pay a premium to buy cars (new or used) directly from BMW dealers, and similarly to pay a premium to have them maintained there. In return for this premium, I expect them to take responsibility for the cars being exactly as they should be.

In the OP's case, this car should not have been an AUC in my view. I'd use the money back guarantee.
Appreciate 3
      01-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #66
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

100% hand it back...... if you are not happy with the car at the purchase stage it is highly unlikely you are going to be happy with it 12 months down the line.
Appreciate 0