BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Wonderful start to my morning

02-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #67
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxs1687 View Post
Would anyone with this wheel and tire insurance mind sharing how much it is? Also, can you get it after owning the car for a while? I assume they'd do a wheel/tire inspection first, if you can buy it later.
I paid about $2000 for wheel, tire, and paintless dent repair coverage for 5 years. Got it at the time of delivery from the BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #68
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Anyone bought a decent wheel and tire insurance package after the fact?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #69
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

You guys won't believe this.

Freaking happened again. Now a front right tire.

About to lose my mind.

I really don't want to go back to runflats, but maybe I should? Any one have a preference on runflats?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #70
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

All three were sidewall blowouts.

Here's the latest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:20 PM   #71
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Sucks man. Maybe gotta go 19s next time around.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:28 PM   #72
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

My new-to-me 540i came with Continental SSR's. Even though they put a square set-up on my m-sport, the ride is much better than the Michelin Primacy's on our 2014.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:22 AM   #73
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have wheel and tire insurance through BMW and they BMW dealer has straightened minor bends and replaced major damage to rims and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
I was second guessing getting W&T insurance but this makes me feel more comfortable. I always get the insurance, but this car doesn't see winter, so was second guessing. One of these episodes pays for it.

The dealer won't straighten wheel or recommend it because it compromises the integrity of the rim, according to them. BUT, you can get them straightened outside the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:28 AM   #74
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I’ve never been able to buy this after the expiration of the original policy from other than the selling dealer.

You just called around to various finance departments ?

When you make a claim do you do it through a dealer or a tire shop on your own ?
Now I just go to dealer or get towed to dealer drop car off get loaner and pick up when fixed. Usually takes 1-2 days and painless for me once car is at the dealer that is.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
You can purchase it after owning the car for a while and there is no wheel inspection needed. At least this has been true in both cases I've purchased such policies. On my CPO Mercedes I purchased it from a dealer out of state for what was next to no money in today's world ($800 5y/ unlimited claims w/ cosmetic) and never had an issue using the coverage (it was OEM MB). I recently purchased a policy on my 530xe w/ 22K miles on it ~2.5y after owning it. Again no inspection required and from an out of state dealer.

The policy was slightly more than the policy I did buy with the car, but subsequently cancelled (cancelled within a week of taking delivery). That policy was $2300 for 5y after negotiation and this policy was just shy of $3K for 5y. It is possible the pricing was adjusted to account for that time and mileage delta, but I can't say for certain. This policy has some other coverages that the policy I cancelled didn't have. It covers W&T, PDR, Windshield, an Interior Damage to leather (cuts, tears, burns, etc.) with no claim limit and no deductibles. It does lack Trip Interruption though which is nice to have.

I hit a nasty pothole the other day that has me vibrating so I'll try to use the protection next week at my dealer. That's the only reason I haven't shared more details on it. I don't want to advertise the warranty or anything else if it is trash. I am lucky enough that the warranty is still very new (< 60 days) so if they prove to be trash I can walk the deal back.

Will I recoup my costs on the policy? The roads have gotten a lot worse so we'll see. I have had 2.5y of relatively problem free ownership, but I decided to just opt for pure convenience and seeing where this all settles out. Just drop it off at the dealer for a new tire and/or wheel repair and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #75
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

My two cents on Wheel and Tire...

My 640 GC over the course of the 1.5years I owned it had 5 new tires and a rim. Cost was around $2k for the insurance. The wheel alone was $2k and tires were around 400-5-- each. When I sold the car, I got a check back for around $1400 b/c they pro rate the insurance and send you the unused premium back if you sell/trade.

My M550i, I've had 3 new tires in about 1.5yrs so far, at 400 per tire that match is working our great so far.

Wifes new X7, same thing, 22inch wheels, tires are crazy expensive on the vehicle, needed a new tire after about 4k miles, and I think that tire was like 600-700.

I'm a huge fan of wheel and tire and will always get it.

Someone asked if they can fix a bent rim and the answer is yes, if its just a mild bend there is a machine that can fix that, had to have that done on the M550i twice b/c the wheels were bent but still holding pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #76
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SctsOut06 View Post

About to lose my mind.

I really don't want to go back to runflats, but maybe I should? Any one have a preference on runflats?
Damn bud, that sucks !
What tire manufacturer did you put back on ? Was it a Winter only set ?
Your potholes must be just as bad as they are up here in NH/MA !
Which is why mine is hibernating in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:54 AM   #77
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Quote:

About to lose my mind.

Damn bud, that sucks !
I had just switched from summer PZero runflats to Conti DWS 06 plus in November.

I don't know what I'm going to put back on now. Asked the dealer to also look for something with a bit taller sidewall to give me a little more piece of mind.

I think next step is driving a beater back and forth to downtown Philly. Which might also keep me safer for other reasons 🤣
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:22 AM   #78
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think next step is driving a beater back and forth to downtown Philly. Which might also keep me safer for other reasons 🤣
YES ! That's a great idea for sure.
Unfortunately with this car BS going on, prices on even beaters are high. But i'm sure you can find a nice used SUV or something for $5-6k
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:25 AM   #79
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

About to lose my mind.

Damn bud, that sucks !
I had just switched from summer PZero runflats to Conti DWS 06 plus in November.

I don't know what I'm going to put back on now. Asked the dealer to also look for something with a bit taller sidewall to give me a little more piece of mind.

I can say I just trashed my second DWS06 this Monday in a year. To the defense of the tire I hit major PA road craters both times. Well, one was technically MD but either way. I have been running DWS06's for as long as they have been on the market and in my opinion won't find a better AS tire for a performance car. Keep in mind, if you blow the sidewall out of a RFT you still aren't going the 50 miles at 50 mph without the tire coming apart. The RFT portion is mainly for a loss due to puncture. No tire is going to hold up with a compromised sidewall. My suggestion, note where the craters are and try hard to avoid them. Don't sacrifice the performance of your car.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 1
SctsOut06271.50
      02-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #80
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

About to lose my mind.

Damn bud, that sucks !

I can say I just trashed my second DWS06 this Monday in a year. To the defense of the tire I hit major PA road craters both times. Well, one was technically MD but either way. I have been running DWS06's for as long as they have been on the market and in my opinion won't find a better AS tire for a performance car. Keep in mind, if you blow the sidewall out of a RFT you still aren't going the 50 miles at 50 mph without the tire coming apart. The RFT portion is mainly for a loss due to puncture. No tire is going to hold up with a compromised sidewall. My suggestion, note where the craters are and try hard to avoid them. Don't sacrifice the performance of your car.
This is a great reminder. I don't honestly think a 19" rim would hold up against some of this man sized potholes in the city.
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      02-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #81
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I’ve never been able to buy this after the expiration of the original policy from other than the selling dealer.

You just called around to various finance departments ?

When you make a claim do you do it through a dealer or a tire shop on your own ?
Now I just go to dealer or get towed to dealer drop car off get loaner and pick up when fixed. Usually takes 1-2 days and painless for me once car is at the dealer that is.

Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Since I didn't have a W&T plan to start from when I purchased my plans after taking delivery of my cars. I assume that's what you mean though and not the expiration of a W&T plan...

On my Benz it was the MBUSA plan and I purchased it alongside my extended warranty from an out of state dealer at a steep discount over what the local dealer wanted. I purchased it a few months or so after taking delivery. I'd have to look at the paperwork to determine the delta, but it wasn't immediate.

For the BMW I purchased a policy that was being advertised by a dealer on another forum. So it is a third party policy, as I noted, but purchased from a dealer after taking delivery of my car. I took delivery of my car in October 2019 with 11 miles on it and it is now Feb 2022 w/ over 21K miles on it. The contract notes the purchase date and mileage at the time I purchased the policy.

I haven't yet had a chance to use the policy as I had to push my W&T service appointment into March as I need to tend to some personal trips that I'd prefer to do in my car instead of a loaner. I'll definitely update the group when I use it to see if I have any issues at all... My appointment is minor vibration and curb rash meant to help me figure out if the policy would be hard to use so I can unravel it within the 60 day window the policy allows without incurring any fees...

I had skipped it for a long time since I have 18" wheels on my G30. That was an intentional decision to try and reduce the likelihood I'd end up needing to replace tires or wheels during my ownership. I have had numerous BMW loaners with 19" wheels that have bubbles in them and as shown by OP 20" wheels have a rough time staying whole. Philly roads are just plain horrific. So far, that has worked out reasonably well. I decided to buy it this far after the fact though as I liked where I was when I had my Benz W&T. I could just drop the car off to the dealer for bubbles, etc... I confirmed I can drop it off to any BMW dealer or tire shop for coverage both with the company administering the plan...

I mentioned the company earlier, but I'm not yet sharing the selling dealership or the company too much as this one is a third party plan and not an OEM plan so I'm not able to yet say I have successfully used it. Only that I've successfully paid for it and that's never the hard part. Would suck IMHO suggesting it and someone picking it up only to find out they had a problem using it and unraveling it was a challenge. We're all internet strangers so we have to take everyone's opinion on anything with a grain of salt, but I prefer to suggest things I have had success with.

I feel for OP with those 20" wheels though. They are going to be a real challenge in this area... Those are really much better in the South... When I drove to BMW in SC for MX1 weekend last year driving down there I forgot what a pothole was...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #82
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

Good thing I get to pay the Philly non-res tax for the "Privilege" of working in the city. Clearly it's not going towards road maintenance.

Quite honestly have never seen roads this bad in my life. At least in this country.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #83
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good thing I get to pay the Philly non-res tax for the "Privilege" of working in the city. Clearly it's not going towards road maintenance.

Quite honestly have never seen roads this bad in my life. At least in this country.
Come check out some of the side streets in Worcester MA. You need a lifted 4x4 in some places.
Appreciate 1
SctsOut06271.50
      02-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #84
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

Consider yourself lucky. I have to pay the resident rate which is higher…

But leaving the area for NYS in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:58 PM   #85
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

Consider yourself lucky. I have to pay the resident rate which is higher…

But leaving the area for NYS in a few months.
Man I feel for you. It's ridiculous out here.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #86
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

About to lose my mind.

Damn bud, that sucks !

This is a great reminder. I don't honestly think a 19" rim would hold up against some of this man sized potholes in the city.
This is my first 5 with 20's on it. My two prior ones were 19's and I never had an issue. I'd have to go back and look at the F10 wheel / tire specs to see how they compare to the G30. I have said though that I would grab a set of 18's for the winters around here if I keep this car after the lease. Just feel if I'm gonna downsize then might as well go way down. Hopefully you are buying from tire rack as they have free hazard insurance for two years. I haven't paid for a replacement tire yet; just the costs to have them mounted and balanced, the alignment rack time and a $150 the first time cuz I bent the wheel. Good luck!
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:24 PM   #87
SctsOut06
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I talked to the dealer last night and they are willing to add on wheel and tire coverage after the fact. $2400 with zero deductible and includes paint less dent repair. I feel like $1800-2000 is probably the right number.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:48 PM   #88
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [10.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
So I talked to the dealer last night and they are willing to add on wheel and tire coverage after the fact. $2400 with zero deductible and includes paint less dent repair. I feel like $1800-2000 is probably the right number.
Can you get a quote without the PDR? Wheel and tire damage is a sure thing and unavoidable. Door dings can easily be avoided and my guy charges $100 per panel. You don't need insurance for door dings.

What's the term they are quoting? As I referenced, I paid $1900 for 36 months but mine includes cosmetic damage even if accidental.