BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board BREAKING NEWS: Virginia Tech shooting. 20 dead

04-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #111
deltron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
my point is, in Canada, our gun laws aren't that strict either when you think about it, but how come these horrific public shootings only occur in the US, and the other questions is, why at schools?? aren't schools a place of peace and learning??
I would say its due to stress. The U.S. is one of the most stressed out nations. I'm just opining, I don't have any facts about that, but I see it and know many people from other countries. Stress may also be why our (U.S.) life spans aren't as long as European countries, though our medicine is the same, nutrition, etc...

I have a friend in the UK who studied many different subjects and was in and out of college, thanks to mostly to their social services (and his auntie). Between some of that time in college he worked, until he found what he wanted and finish school around 26-27. There was no immense pressure for him to get it right the first time.

The U.S. is very competitive with its higher education, especially at a school like VA Tech. I went to a similar school and I can sympathize with them. University is also very expensive, so you want to get the major right, the grades right, etc...

I personally think college has become too stressful of an environment for young people to grow in, regardless of the sad events today.

I don't think VA Tech or any other university needs more police or patrolling. More guns won't help either. These terrible events never occur often, thankfully. People just need each other and some hope that whatever dark pit they're in, there's a way out.
      04-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #112
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Man...no words to say.

Just sad.
      04-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #113
SoCal335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92-TT Jet Blk Coral Red

Fuckin tragic man! They will dig and find out what a chinese kid was doing here for a year as a student and had access to guns. He had 2 guns and lots of ammo, it takes more than a day to get these things. He planned this out, chaining the doors shut and everything. Im sure there is some kind of story as to why he did what he did but there is no excuse, he shouldve just killed himself and let everyone else live. Some people are so selfish in this world its sickening. Im gonna go drive and smoke some bowls for the fallen. What a sad day for Americans...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #114
Brians BMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: green, yeah

im the closest as you can get to being a student of va tech w/o being a student or staff. i went there so often from the northern va area. i knew some professors and the college cops. i know some of their custodians. this hit home to me.

im not much of a religious person, but i wish those slain a much happier afterlife. i hope they find out who gave this killer guns and sentence him life without ever getting a parol in his life, for it is he who gave the kid the weapons for this tragic event.

i wished kids didn't committ suicide or even kill another. i wish that shooter realized someone somewhere had a much worse life than he did.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #115
dvsxturbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 335i

yeah this was really sad, i just couldnt believe this happened
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #116
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltron View Post
I would say its due to stress. The U.S. is one of the most stressed out nations. I'm just opining, I don't have any facts about that, but I see it and know many people from other countries. Stress may also be why our (U.S.) life spans aren't as long as European countries, though our medicine is the same, nutrition, etc...

I have a friend in the UK who studied many different subjects and was in and out of college, thanks to mostly to their social services (and his auntie). Between some of that time in college he worked, until he found what he wanted and finish school around 26-27. There was no immense pressure for him to get it right the first time.

The U.S. is very competitive with its higher education, especially at a school like VA Tech. I went to a similar school and I can sympathize with them. University is also very expensive, so you want to get the major right, the grades right, etc...

I personally think college has become too stressful of an environment for young people to grow in, regardless of the sad events today.

I don't think VA Tech or any other university needs more police or patrolling. More guns won't help either. These terrible events never occur often, thankfully. People just need each other and some hope that whatever dark pit they're in, there's a way out.
I agree with most of your statements, other than the stress part...

people in Japan has really high rates of suicide because of work related stress, Japan and other cities in Asia like Hong Kong have 100+hrs working week for a lot of people, so these people don't have stress?? but how come these people don't go on rampages and kill other innocent people, even if they are suicidal, they only take their own lives but not many others

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #117
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Turns out it was a South Korean national...oh boy...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #118
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Oh....thank god it wasn't a chinese boy....that would've just disgraced my race.
BUT OMG....South Korea, your right. Oh Boy....:mad:
      04-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #119
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
look on the bright side, i have a second spring break since there are no more classes for the week.....

god damn kids and their Lexapro prescription run outs!

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #120
00o00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: its comming...

its hard to find words to say after an event like this. i have a really good friend at the school, when i heard about the shootings i just about fell over. fountunetly i got in touch with him pretty soon after.

i cant imagen what i must be like for the family of the victums and the other students...

my prayers go out to them
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #121
AH
Major
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
OMG, this is terrible.... i was in Eugene when school shooting happened in Springfield, OR .... but that was nothing compared to something this big..... sad... Not to mention this, but I'm afraid something like this might trigger retaliation .... sad...

Mods: Remus, Blacklines, Hartge, ACS, Breyton, Eibach, 20" Lative
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #122
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
I agree with most of your statements, other than the stress part...

people in Japan has really high rates of suicide because of work related stress, Japan and other cities in Asia like Hong Kong have 100+hrs working week for a lot of people, so these people don't have stress?? but how come these people don't go on rampages and kill other innocent people, even if they are suicidal, they only take their own lives but not many others
I guess this is all off the topic stufff...
God bless those people in VA.

As for the stress, and stuff, deltron was very right by stating that we are ONE OF THE mosts sressed nations. A 100+ week working hours with the efficiency of Chinese/HKG will not necesserily make you go nuts. I have a pleasure of being in China/Japan once a month and I noticed that although they work 9 AM to 8 PM, six days/week + Wednesdays till 10 PM they accomplish far less than we do here. It is (still) the lack of knowledge, equipment...that causes this...at least in Wireless Comm area...

Yes, Japan is probably more stressed nation, but I never believed in the need to have >50 hour weeks constantly. Occasional overtime is OK, but all the time leads to nowhere...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #123
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
OMG, this is terrible.... i was in Eugene when school shooting happened in Springfield, OR .... but that was nothing compared to something this big..... sad... Not to mention this, but I'm afraid something like this might trigger retaliation .... sad...
Don't think so, but maybe some hillbillies will call for the border btw the US and South Korea to be closed.

Anyway, very very sad.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #124
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
it might be impossible to find out how he obtained the weapons because so many illegal deals are made daily. It honestly doesnt shock me just when you think of how many universities there are in the nation and how many kids that have problems attend them. It is truly a horrible situation, blame the school, blame the kid, blame the guns, blame anyone but that doesnt solve anything whats done is done you cant bring the poor innocent kids back something has to be done for future attacks like this. Being a college student I can see how this can happen on any campus and any time because most colleges dont have the proper security for their size. Just a shame.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #125
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markis64 View Post
Beinng a college student I can see how this can happen on any campus and any time because most colleges dont have the proper security for their size. Just a shame.
This isn't an issue of security on the university's part, but an issue of police repsonse. Police were already on scene due to the first shooting. It's a symptom of society's ills in general.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #126
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

disgrace to one country or not, to most americans all asians are the same. Its a lose lose situations for all
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #127
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
This isn't an issue of security on the university's part, but an issue of police repsonse. Police were already on scene due to the first shooting. It's a symptom of society's ills in general.

Yes sorry when i meant security i meant all forces combined. But there is a big problem when you have a large school with no kind of emergency response system that is effective enough. Just because police respond quickly doesnt mean they take care of the situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #128
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markis64 View Post
Yes sorry when i meant security i meant all forces combined. But there is a big problem when you have a large school with no kind of emergency response system that is effective enough. Just because police respond quickly doesnt mean they take care of the situation.
I'm not sure why Tech chose to make it known that he is South Korean as they did (www.vt.edu)...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #129
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Some recent news:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT
Norris Hall gunman identified; ballistics match at both crime scenes

Posted 9:15 a.m., April 17, 2007

The Virginia Tech Police Department has confirmed the identification of the gunman responsible for the multiple fatalities at Norris Hall on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, April 16, 2007.

The individual has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23. Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va. Cho was living on campus in Harper Residence Hall.

A 9-milimeter handgun and 22-caliber handgun were recovered from Norris Hall. Ballistic tests on the evidence seized from the Norris Hall and the West Ambler Johnston Residence Hall scenes were conducted at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) lab in Maryland. Lab results confirmed that one of the two weapons seized in Norris Hall was used in both shootings.

“At this time, the evidence does not conclusively identify Cho Seung-Hui as the gunman at both locations,” said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, Superintendent of the Virginia State Police. “With this newfound ballistics evidence, we are now able to proceed to the next level of this complex investigation.”

State, local, and federal investigators spent the night collecting, processing, and analyzing evidence from within Norris Hall. The deceased were recovered from at least four classrooms on the second floor and a stairwell of Norris Hall. The gunman, who took his life, was discovered by police in a classroom among the victims.

All of the deceased have been transported to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Roanoke for examination and identification.

The names of the 32 deceased students and faculty will be released once all victims are positively identified and next-of-kin notified.

The Virginia Tech Police Department, Blacksburg Police Department, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, Virginia State Police, FBI, ATF, and multiple other state and local agencies are all involved in the ongoing investigations at both Norris Hall and West Ambler Johnston Hall.
http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #130
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
I'm not sure why Tech chose to make it known that he is South Korean as they did (www.vt.edu)...
If you arent an american citizen, the media finds it game to focus on your nationality, as if that had some huge influencing factor. Just plays into the hate game. Look at what Foxnews and the Suntimes did all last night, they kept reporting that the shooter was a Chinese student, blah blah. Has the killer been a citizen, Im sure they would do the same thing, but its more of a story when its an "outsider" that did it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #131
deltron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Monaco Blue

I really don't understand what the big deal is with regards to the killer being a South Korean. So far there's two "oh boys" in the thread.

I don't think there will be backlash against South Koreans, I hope not.
      04-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #132
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
i think i read two 9mm with a vest full of clips...but at this point im sure this will all change...
Tomorrow he'll have been armed with an AK-47, hand grenades, an AR-15, MAC-10 and an Uzi.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0