BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Air Conditioning

07-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #133
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I get two options PLUS and Individual. The software on my car is from around April.

Btw, do you have Active Lane Assistant in your car? If so, then have you noticed improvement in it After the update? Mine bounces left-right in a straight lane, so I'm wondering whether that has been resolved as well.
Sounds like you're describing active lane departure which only make the steering correction once you touch either the left or right lane stripes. Active steering assist must be activated on the steering wheel and will show a steering wheel icon on the dash and it's only active when you see two green lines on the dash. I didn't discover this until driving on a Long Road trip, and by accident pushing the button on the steering wheel thinking I was activating my active cruise control. It's amazing, it just follows the road.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #134
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Sounds like you're describing active lane departure which only make the steering correction once you touch either the left or right lane stripes. Active steering assist must be activated on the steering wheel and will show a steering wheel icon on the dash and it's only active when you see two green lines on the dash. I didn't discover this until driving on a Long Road trip, and by accident pushing the button on the steering wheel thinking I was activating my active cruise control. It's amazing, it just follows the road.
Yes, it's great. But from time to time it seems to behabe a little bit "drunk" going from side to side. And yes, it is while the steering wheel and side lines are both marked green.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #135
Motorboat411
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Yes, but it's called Active Lane Assistant by BMW. However, on the other forum many other members are complaining of the same issue that I did. I'm hoping BMW will fix (improve) it in the software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #136
540Island
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Does anyone know what the name of the update is? I took my car in again to see if they could do the update and they said there was none, that BMW has them taking the ac fluids out and refilling. I'd much rather try an update first.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #137
Dcinlv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 M sport

Software update...

I am scheduled for the mythical software update on Thursday.... We'll see. Also, just for fun and my own sanity, I had my sales guy grad the keys to 2 randomly selected cars, one a 540 and the other a 750. Both A/C's exhibited the same low flow characteristics I'm experiencing. We tried just about every setting possible to increase the volume at the center stack. I'll report what the outcome after my Thursday appt.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #138
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinlv View Post
I am scheduled for the mythical software update on Thursday.... We'll see. Also, just for fun and my own sanity, I had my sales guy grad the keys to 2 randomly selected cars, one a 540 and the other a 750. Both A/C's exhibited the same low flow characteristics I'm experiencing. We tried just about every setting possible to increase the volume at the center stack. I'll report what the outcome after my Thursday appt.
when you hit sport, do you get 3 options. I kid you not, since this update, no hot air out of the lower footwell. I even put upper temp all the way back to cold from neutral. Very Happy so far. I wish they fixed my key fob issue, I think that is an internal problem that every 540 has and know one really notices.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #139
Dcinlv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 M sport

As expected, I received a call from my service advisor,He indicated that there was no need to come in for service on Thursday (tomorrow) ,Because the technician could not locate an actual applicable software update. Steve, when I select sport, I do receive the 3 options.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #140
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinlv View Post
As expected, I received a call from my service advisor,He indicated that there was no need to come in for service on Thursday (tomorrow) ,Because the technician could not locate an actual applicable software update. Steve, when I select sport, I do receive the 3 options.
Then you are up to date, like I said it improved my system. My lexus is still way better, but at least it hasn't blown hot air from foot well since the update.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #141
Kevlars
Rep
Drives: 530i

So are the three sport options only on the 540 or should there be three on the 530 as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #142
Askar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Island View Post
I know its been posted here before but I couldn't find the original thread

I get that the AC doesn't get that cold, I live in Palm Springs and currently its around 120F outside so I'm just trying to make sure its not just my car. The thing I am worried about is, when you barley get on the gas the ac drops tremendously to as if the air setting was on 1 bar.
My car before this (dodge charger rt) always consitantly blew on high even full throttle.
Is that just how it is on the 540i or is it just me
I live in Saudi and it gets as hot as 48C, and my g30 530i AC doesn't cool that well even with the fan being all the way to the max :/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #143
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW 520d Touring G31

Today, I was driving at night with outside temperatures of 12°C (53F) an the AC was acting strange for the first time :-( The foot wells started blowing hot air in the cabin, while the vents on the dash just kept blowing cool air. I had to turn the temperature down to 19°C (66F) - before it was always set to 21°C (70F) - to get a bit of a "cool" feeling, but still it remained too hot. My car is only two weeks old (standard AC), so I assume I have the latest software on it...will call dealership on Monday about it. Passenger and kids in the back had it cooler than me...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #144
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Soo.. I got my car since 14.7. and I must say the AC is perfect. Cools car fast and its really cold if I let it low. i usually use about 23-24,5 Celsius when outside is 33 or more. Lower is too cold for us.

Btw we were on holidays in Italy and there was 34-38 Celsius that time and No problems.

Btw 2 540ix, 4zone AC
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #145
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Only had my car for 1 week now, but no issues.
Car was out in teh sun yesterday although it was only around 21C , not hardly hot. Car cooled down very quickly.

I think its been mentioned in earlier threads about a/c in eco pro mode. Worth checking that a/c is not ticked in eco pro other wise it will switch off the compressor for a time to save fuel so the interior temp may rise slightly as a result. I don't let eco proc control the a/c and leave it on all the time. as I don't travel many miles, I like to ensure that the a/c is running all the time to keep it in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #146
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlars View Post
So are the three sport options only on the 540 or should there be three on the 530 as well?
I'm curious about this too?

I've got a 530i M-Sport and only have Sport and Sport individual, no Sport+.

I believe my build date was 4/24/2017 and I picked up the car on 7/31. No idea if the software has been updated or not
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #147
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Never buy a first year model from BMW/Audi/MB. In most cases there are some meaningful issues early on which are fixed later. It's best to wait for the LCI, but at the very least avoid the first year, read the forums, and wait until the issues are identified and addressed by the manufacturer before buying.
You just keep repeating this answer on many threads.
U dont buy/use first models of anything right?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #148
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
I'm curious about this too?

I've got a 530i M-Sport and only have Sport and Sport individual, no Sport+.

I believe my build date was 4/24/2017 and I picked up the car on 7/31. No idea if the software has been updated or not
Hi for comp.: I got 540i and I have sport, sport+, sport individual - diff of individual is that u can set some of it to other mode, like steering to comfort etc.

530e rly doesnt have individual? Why?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #149
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep

@steve090619 From your posts, it seems I have the exact same issue as you have. Can you please ask you dealer which software update they used? My dealer thinks it is "my settings" that are wrong...if I can give them the details of the update, I guess I can get them to install it...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #150
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoManiac View Post
@steve090619 From your posts, it seems I have the exact same issue as you have. Can you please ask you dealer which software update they used? My dealer thinks it is "my settings" that are wrong...if I can give them the details of the update, I guess I can get them to install it...
After having update for 3 weeks, I feel the ac is still the same. I made changes in ac settings, 1 click to cold in upper vents and that seems to get me the best air flow. I have learned to accept this problem, summer is only 3 months here in NY.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #151
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
After having update for 3 weeks, I feel the ac is still the same. I made changes in ac settings, 1 click to cold in upper vents and that seems to get me the best air flow. I have learned to accept this problem, summer is only 3 months here in NY.
Summer is not only problem time...as I said above, driving around with outside temperature at night of only 53F, the car suddenly started to push a lot of hot air in the footwells, so much that it got way too hot for my legs, while my face was getting hit with cold air from the center vents.

As you also figured out, "best" position is Auto with only 2 bars (or maybe one of the manual modes). Still, unacceptable that a car like this has issues with something that my dads Renault of 25 years ago already managed perfectly without a fuss :-(

Will bring my car to the dealer in two weeks time, but I do not expect any improvement after reading you last comment.

Will end up driving without my pants on :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #152
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Latest update. Just spoke with my shop foreman who is amazing. He's been in communication with the district engineer and even after submitting the case in detail, BMW engineers were having a hard time understanding the actual problem. After a rather lengthy call he made it clear to them what the issue is. Because this AC issue is based on a multitude of different variables it's quite difficult to articulate the actual problem. But he has understood my explanation and after having the car for almost 2 weeks, has experienced it firsthand. He has documented it in such a way that now it can be sent to Germany for them to review the case, and see if it's worthwhile or not for them to rewrite the software. Both the foreman and the engineer in the US feel that the hardware works, but its the software that controls the automatic system that is not delivering.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #153
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Addition: I think that quite a few of us have taken our car is in to service and unfortunately either the mechanic or even the service foreman doesn't understand the problem and they blow it off as the car working as advertised. Or I think there's a problem but I'm not sure.

This is why I think we have not seen any action taken, because until know, or maybe even my case BMW corporate hasn't truly gotten an understanding of the issue. I've had to visit the shop several times and sit with the foreman and go over the problem in great detail. Let's hope we get something positive started here. Take your cars in and make sure they are clear how to replicate the issue and under what circumstances it is happening.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #154
MNC8395
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i SE LCI

Perhaps the weak Ac has something to do with the grill flaps remaining closed. Ac efficiency depends on the flow of air through the condensor. If the grill flaps remain closed due to water temperature then this is going to reduce Ac efficiency. This obviously has no impact upon on the hot footwell issue.
Appreciate 0