BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board BREAKING NEWS: Virginia Tech shooting. 20 dead

04-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #155
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
it's sad when people are focusing on race, nationality, what brand of car the shooter has, etc., at a time like this......they perpetuate exactly what's wrong in this society
nationality plays a role here
There will be alot of discrimination for South Korean International Students in the future to come to the US to study. Think about 9/11....any middle eastern look alikes were discriminated.
I bet you alot of asian kids wearing glasses will get the insults like....."Oh look, is the chinese/korean math nerd with the handgun"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #156
rpiopio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
I bet you alot of asian kids wearing glasses will get the insults like....."Oh look, is the chinese/korean math nerd with the handgun"
Yeah, especially when you come across bloggers like the on one link below and the other posters to the message board. For those of you who haven't ventured too far beyond the minority=majority land of Cali, it can be a scary world out there and it may have just gotten worse.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archi..._the_asia.html

Truly Frightening.
      04-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #157
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

What i found ironic is one of our exchange student from SK actually got expelled about a month ago......

Some kids were messing with him and he started to put his hand in the shape of a gun and pretended to fire it at them, next day..... he brings a spray painted airsoft gun and whips it out in class scaring the shit outta everyone. He barely knew any english and really didnt understand why he was getting arrested. (I miss that kid, he always wore this redneck USA jacket and had a pink backpack, he had alot of diversity and problems challenging him but he was determined. He was dislexic and told his peer tutor [whom I work with] that he only wanted to speak english because he wanted to learn it)

Just a little odd to me that this happened. Deffinatly some cultural influences in both incedences, but how severe?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #158
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Here is where so many are short sighted...this killer wasnt an international student. He was an immigrant of America, here legally with a green card. This is exactly where misinformation leads to generalized comments that hurt more than you understand. Face it, every country, race, has f'd up people.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #159
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
Here is where so many are short sighted...this killer wasnt an international student. He was an immigrant of America, here legally with a green card. This is exactly where misinformation leads to generalized comments that hurt more than you understand. Face it, every country, race, has f'd up people.
He was a citizen of South Korea still.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #160
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Army training are mandatory in SK
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #161
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Nationality definately plays a role in a mass shooting, here and now. That's the first thing I thought of when I heard mass shooting.

What if he was from Indonesia, Malaysia, or Saudi Arabia?
Thomas Jefferson never would have advocated guns if he knew about the Glock. Playing with guns is for shitbags. Nice hobby. Yeah, I said it. Someone screws your wife, or keys your car - go shoot him with your gun, it's right there. Bad day at the office? Fix it with your gun!

Hard times, got hard times, hard times
Got blues, got blues, you got, you got, got, got, got, got, got, got, got
Yeah! Blues!
You got "My boss, man, is a bastard and I wanna kill him" blues.
You got "My boyfriend's a motherfucker
and I wanna cut his balls off and shove 'em right down his throat" blues.
Can't take it, can't take it no more, can't take it, can't take it no more
Blues!
I got gun in my mouth blues
I got gun-in-my-mouth blues.
Lookin' out my window, sun comes up, sun comes burnin' down
No answer, no answer, no aswer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer
I'm alone in my room, but I'm not by myself
I'm alone in my room, but I'm not by myself
I've got my hands wrapped 'round my gun
I've got my hands wrapped 'round my gun
No answer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer
Can't touch me, can't touch me, can't touch me, can't touch me, can't touch me
Suck in.
Pull it, pull it, pull it, pull it.
-HR

Owning a gun is like not wearing your seatbelt; you're too stupid to recognize what a tremendous mistake it can be. "But I took a course!" Yeah, uh, okay, now you can carry a loaded handgun wherever you go! You'll never lose your temper, nor will your wife! Your kid will never figure out where you keep it, and you'll never shoot anybody who doesn't deserve it. Protection? A simple mugging turns into your murder, or your child is shot in your home, mistaken for an intruder.

Guns will never be outlawed in the United States. I just want to discourage anyone from owning one, if I can. Guns can be lots of fun, but it's not worth the danger to you and your family.

I bet stricter gun laws in VA would have prevented this massacre, but we'll see. It's very easy to buy a gun in VA. Although I never bought one when I lived there, I know there was no waiting period at the time.

'All proceeds go to the NRA' Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Attachment 69831

Canada has more guns per capita, but they don't have <as many> gun-related crimes. I don't know why, and of course this is an extremly complicated issue. Just don't own a gun. Hunting is the only logical reason to own one, and I don't advocate hunting, either. Buy a camera. Do you get extra points if the dove is holding an olive branch in its mouth, when you shoot it?

RIP, VT students. Sincere condolensces to every family member, and every friend.
I agree w/ u 300% u don't see this shit in europe.... why do we need medicine from europe if we are so advanced??? oh, let the guns take care of that,.,,,,
so far guns are doing a really good job in iraq too,
the days of old westerns are over...
all you pro gun guys, u have your opinions and when u have a gun, just try to kill urself b4 using it on an innocent person, and make sure your kids don't get to it...........(ok fkd up statement but u get the point) i have tons of friends that have guns, they hunt, fire range... and there is def one of my friends that should not have a gun, he is a fkn retard!

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #162
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

Man those Koreans, lol. Maybe he didn't get any lovin from the girls? F$#%ked Up kid, he should of killed himself and let it be.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #163
Raider
Panties Sniffer
Rep
Drives: Stealthy 335Ci

Supposedly his dad is dead, and his mom is in the hospital right now...

attempted suicide, that's what my girl said she hears on the Korean radio
      04-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #164
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

I had heard rumors of that as well, but another news outlet said that was flat out untrue and that they were in seclusion. Knowing the asian suicide pattern, I wouldnt be surprised if they did though. Sadly it should have been their twisted son that took his own life, and not cowardly drag down 32 others.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #165
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes he was a citizen of SK, but as a green card holder here, that does not qualify him as an "international student". My point is, that you dont just start grouping people together based on wrong information.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #166
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid4323 View Post
He was a citizen of South Korea still.
still what... so what if he was a citizen of South Korea... he moved to US in 1992 and was raised here since he was of age 6-7. translation for the stupid/ignorant; he could very well have been born in US and be a citizen, it makes no difference here! imagine u were raised in korea at the age of 5.... its quite different than if u became an international student there when u are 21. citzenship doesnt mean shit ok.. screw my previous example. lets say u were really born in Korea, and then u were raised in US starting at 6 month old. and ur parents never disclosed ur non-citizenship. does that change who u are? no! so stfu about this korean thing its so fucking pointless, damn
      04-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #167
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Let's ban everything with a pointy edge while we're at it...don't forget the sun that causes cancer too. Wait, the lead in water, pollution, and don't forget the child abuse that you faced while you grew up. Ban it all. Don't breath, might catch a cold and blame the viruses.

People need to open their minds and not just point fingers at guns, immigration laws, racial biases, etc. Shit happens in the world and people adapt and learn from them. RIP to VA students, but let's not over analyze something that doesn't have a right and wrong answer. That's the media's job...
________
Maine Marijuana Dispensaries
________
Bed bath and beyond gift card

Last edited by HappyG; 05-17-2011 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #168
Raider
Panties Sniffer
Rep
Drives: Stealthy 335Ci

It's sad to see that it takes a tragedy like this to bring the community together...

And shit like this happen all over the world, resulting in more deaths, each and every day...

This is life as we know it, as real and as ugly as it gets....
      04-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #169
rgupta8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

its amazing what an impact one person can have on this world, good or bad....my heart and prayers go out too all those affected by this terrible tragedy...but in the healing i have to say i was touched today when i read that the students of VT gave an extended standing ovation to the head of security....makes you realize how crazy the media gets and blows things out of proportion....hopefully those affected by this can some how move forward and start to live their lives again.....
      04-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #170
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG View Post
Neurorad - That is probably one of the most ignorant posts that I have read. That sounds like some Brady campaign jargon. However, in the great country we live in, I respect your opinions.
Is Marcia Brady running for office? I know Brady was shot with Reagan, and there was something called the Brady Bill, but I don't have time to go read about it now.

Quote:
Having said that, during any national tragedy such as this, all info will be scrutinized. If a gang of men started going around town killing people with cast iron skillets, you'd have the media saying something about that.
I don't listen to the media. You really think a cast iron skillet is as dangerous as a handgun?

Quote:
So who gets to carry these evil tools? Police, military, militias? What happens when they can't come help you because you live 10 miles from the nearest police station? Tell the bad guy to stop and wait to get arrested?:
So you have a gun for personal protection? What century do you live in? Are the Mongol Hoards attacking your town? Your child is more likely to kill someone with your gun, than you killing someone who is mugging you. 99.9% of muggings result in nobody getting killed, unless of course you have a gun 'for protection'. And I'd say a good part of that time, it's the idiot gun owner who dies.

Quote:
Everything has a pro and a con to it. Gun control is one of the many issues that will always exist in this country, because that is the freedom that our founding fathers instilled upon us.
Too bad. It turned out to be a pretty worthless right. When is the last time the U.S. was invaded, or the government needed to be kept in check with armed citizens turned against the government?

Quote:
If you want to quote statistics, cars and swimming pools kill more people annually then guns do. Shall we ban those too? Research the states that are pro-ccw or pro-protecting yourself during an immediate threat have lower violent crime rates. In CA, we are probably one of the most heavily regulated states in regards to firearms...we sure do have a lot of murders here though.
My main concern is for people who keep a gun, get angry, and shoot somebody. Yes, cars and swimming pools are very dangerous. Many lives would be saved if there were a ban on swimming pools and cars; I agree with you there. The states with lower violent crime rates are less populated - it's not because gun laws are less restrictive. Lower population, less poverty and less crime.

Quote:
Simply stated, most criminals don't commit crimes with legally purchased tools. So I guess it makes sense that we're getting gouged at the gas pumps because we're at war right? Same concept. Why penalize law abiding citizens?
I don't want you to carry a gun, because you will kill somebody for a stupid reason.

Quote:
As Dleo stated, he could've drove through the campus in a hummer and taken out as many people if not more. In America, it’s not about why, but because I can.
Both you and Dleo are mistaken. I don't think he could have killed that many people in a car, and wouldn't have. He'd need to kill himself after.

Quote:
Does anyone really need a 250k Ferrari? No, but in our great country, it’s a right that we have to exercise if we so choose to. Why super size your meal knowing its chock full of calories and fat? Because I CAN ….within it’s respective legal parameters of course. Just my thoughts…
Eating junk food has nothing to do with owning a very dangerous toy.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #171
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
There will be alot of discrimination for South Korean International Students in the future to come to the US to study. Think about 9/11....any middle eastern look alikes were discriminated.
what happens in the future is an after-effect.......the immediate analysis is pretty fucked-up, considering that's (shooter's nationality) what the media/society is most fascinated with.

FYI, 30 people lost their lives.........but I guess that doesn't matter?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #172
Viral
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes he was a citizen of SK, but as a green card holder here, that does not qualify him as an "international student". My point is, that you dont just start grouping people together based on wrong information.
welcome to America......
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #173
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
what happens in the future is an after-effect.......the immediate analysis is pretty fucked-up, considering that's (shooter's nationality) what the media/society is most fascinated with.

FYI, 30 people lost their lives.........but I guess that doesn't matter?
I don’t know what you are focusing on, but much of the media HAS been around the administrations botched handling of this tragedy and its victims.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #174
Viral
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know what you are focusing on, but much of the media HAS been around the administrations botched handling of this tragedy and its victims.
true.........but the "mystery" about the shooter and his life, background, interests, immigration status, where he lives, etc. is getting to be pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #175
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I hate to say this but this could have happened any where. This could have been at the movie theater, restaurant, or a concert...This is the price we pay to live in a free country where you can go file some paper to own a gun (and not to mention those who just buy gun from the blackmarket).
      04-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #176
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Is Marcia Brady running for office? I know Brady was shot with Reagan, and there was something called the Brady Bill, but I don't have time to go read about it now.

I don't listen to the media. You really think a cast iron skillet is as dangerous as a handgun?

So you have a gun for personal protection? What century do you live in? Are the Mongol Hoards attacking your town? Your child is more likely to kill someone with your gun, than you killing someone who is mugging you. 99.9% of muggings result in nobody getting killed, unless of course you have a gun 'for protection'. And I'd say a good part of that time, it's the idiot gun owner who dies.

Too bad. It turned out to be a pretty worthless right. When is the last time the U.S. was invaded, or the government needed to be kept in check with armed citizens turned against the government?

My main concern is for people who keep a gun, get angry, and shoot somebody. Yes, cars and swimming pools are very dangerous. Many lives would be saved if there were a ban on swimming pools and cars; I agree with you there. The states with lower violent crime rates are less populated - it's not because gun laws are less restrictive. Lower population, less poverty and less crime.

I don't want you to carry a gun, because you will kill somebody for a stupid reason.

Both you and Dleo are mistaken. I don't think he could have killed that many people in a car, and wouldn't have. He'd need to kill himself after.

Eating junk food has nothing to do with owning a very dangerous toy.

This has to be your mom...

http://www.bradycenter.org/about/sarah.php

And as for you, it seems that you're hell-bent on blaming things that had no relevance in this scenario. Do people blame a car when it kills innocent bystanders as a result of a drunken driver? No, they blame the driver.

You don't listen to the media? Does that also not include reading or watching it? If there's one thing that is consistent, it is that information derived from third and fourth parties are never accurate and always biased. This information is then used to conjure up opinions and pseudo facts by people such as you. A vicious cycle.

Personal protection is also subjective. What may make you feel safe may not make me feel safe. Obviously, we feel that BMW's are safe cars, but what about at your residence? Your workplace? Your neighborhood? I'm not sure how it is in your town, but in a city like Los Angeles, the ratio of law enforcement to civilian is extreme. Do you place the safety of yourself and your loved ones entirely on a public service that can only handle half of the workload that is given?

It's not the rising of government that worries me, it's the unforeseen such as natural disasters, surprise terrorist attacks, etc. When shi$ hits the fan, will you try to maintain peace in a chaotic environment, or do what it takes to defend your life and property? Just like the rioting in Los Angeles or hurricane Katrina, people become desperate and dangerous when put in an environment such as those.

"I don't want you to carry a gun, because you will kill somebody for a stupid reason."

That's a statement without merit. I don't want you to post responses because all your information is worthless. That's about how that sounds to me...I'm sure you have informative posts, so why go out on a retarded branch and make a comment like that?

I feel that we are now disrespecting the main issue and have gone sideways on a subject which is always the point of attack when things like this happen. This is the world we live in. The US probably has billions of firearms in the system already. This issue is not for Glock or Walther to deal with, but psychologists and psychotherapists that need to analyze the intricacies of living in a society which places such burden on people without fully knowing the destructive ramifications it presents.

Truth be told, anyone can kill or cause bodily harm to anyone else with anything that they see fit. (Including a cast iron skillet) It's easy to point fingers at these evil guns and evil laws and evil companies, but realistically, do you think taking firearms off the street would impact murder rates monumentally? That society as we know it would calm itself down and hold hands? I'm a realist, and as such, feel that the only people that commit any type of crime are bad people. Bad people with bad intentions which will use any means necessary to cause harm to you, me, and anyone else that isn't prepared or too naive to realize how the world has changed during the past 10yrs.

And as for your response to killing that many people with an automobile...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,222924,00.html

That entire event probably lasted 15-25 seconds. Could've been much, much worse. I don't want you to drive because you may kill the kids that are trying to cross the street.....right.

There are so many others things that we should be worried about like poverty, homelessness, hunger, education, other basic fundamental needs of people in all walks of life. But, let's just focus on guns and poor policies since it is obviously the root of all things evil.

________
Family tree
________
Extreme Q

Last edited by HappyG; 05-17-2011 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0