BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Another new UK 540i - options talk

01-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

My two essentials for any order are the HUD and ACC. There have been postings where some have complained about the sport seats vs. the multi-contour seats. If you haven't done so, try sitting in both and see which you like.

My other change, if it were me, would be to go for the Nappa leather. I find it much nicer than the Dakota and much more fitting for a luxury car. But that is me. I would also encourage you to try out cars with each leather and see whether the nappa is worth the extra cost to you.

Your dealer should have given you an order number. Once the car goes into production you will be able to see the VIN number and you can call up the online manual. But it is very generic and not very helpful (I did it with mine and quickly stopped using it).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #24
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Yes the ACC does remember the distance you last set it on even after being out of the car. I agree it is better than implementation than previous generation in the F10/11.

I was making a point, that now, people in the UK on the motorway think they have a god given right to pull out in front of you even in the smallest of gaps.
      01-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #25
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes it can be very difficult at times to maintain a safe distance (remember the saying , "only a fool breaks to 2 second rule". And that is for dry roads!)
Can speak from experience some years back in my new f10 at the time when someone cut in front of me on the motorway, I braked to maintain some distance and glad I did as they suddenly applied full brakes. I did the same , got a red car warning in the HUD and the ABS activated to stop me in time. The car behind me wasn't so lucky and got hit from behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #26
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yes it can be very difficult at times to maintain a safe distance (remember the saying , "only a fool breaks to 2 second rule". And that is for dry roads!)
Can speak from experience some years back in my new f10 at the time when someone cut in front of me on the motorway, I braked to maintain some distance and glad I did as they suddenly applied full brakes. I did the same , got a red car warning in the HUD and the ABS activated to stop me in time. The car behind me wasn't so lucky and got hit from behind.
Whilst UK roads are getting more and more busy....people driving standards especially on the motorway are definitely dropping

I find that using the ACC on a moderately busy motorway I end up getting pushed further and further back as people jump into the SAFE space the ACC provides, even on the closet setting.

But I would always now specify it. As I said before I do find it very useful in traffic jams and even in town to maintain the speed limit where there are many cameras. It adds another line of defence instead of using the speed LIMIT function.

However I do have to be careful when I jump into the wife's G30 and remember the car will not brake for me when the car in front slows down as she does not have the ACC option!

I also like the new function where you turn on the cruise control it automatically sets the current speed immediately without having to press the set button, which from memory you had to do in the F series.
      01-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #27
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
driving standards especially on the motorway are definitely dropping
When was the last time you heard or saw anyone giving advice on how to drive on a motorway? I can't remember if it's even covered in the highway code, and I've certainly not seen anything after that.

Most of my motorway driving is local to me around the M25. The recently-widened 4-lane sections have just reinforced the belief that you should choose a lane that saves you from ever changing lanes, because changing lanes on a motorway is dangerous

I get that the motorways can be busy and often people don't move over because the feel they'll get 'trapped' and won't be able to move out again, but then you see the same behaviour when there's 2 or 3 empty inside lanes
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #28
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes ,don't get me started on cars sitting in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty.....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Whilst UK roads are getting more and more busy....people driving standards especially on the motorway are definitely dropping

I find that using the ACC on a moderately busy motorway I end up getting pushed further and further back as people jump into the SAFE space the ACC provides, even on the closet setting.

But I would always now specify it. As I said before I do find it very useful in traffic jams and even in town to maintain the speed limit where there are many cameras. It adds another line of defence instead of using the speed LIMIT function.

However I do have to be careful when I jump into the wife's G30 and remember the car will not brake for me when the car in front slows down as she does not have the ACC option!

I have had a similar issue when I travel and rent a car. I find myself constantly reminding myself "you do not have ACC"! But I would not buy another car without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #30
JD2005
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530d m sport xdrive saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yes ,don't get me started on cars sitting in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty.....
We should bring back hanging for this. No trial. Just string em up next to the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:01 AM   #31
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Sophisto with black m performance grills and black alloys pic for you. No point cleaning it where I live so sorry for general mudiness.
Really easy to fit and looks good to me with the colour scheme and privacy glass
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      01-22-2018, 04:15 AM   #32
jdogg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
Sophisto with black m performance grills and black alloys pic for you. No point cleaning it where I live so sorry for general mudiness.
Really easy to fit and looks good to me with the colour scheme and privacy glass
Thanks for sharing! Looks great, just the right level of dark and moody ie "move out the way". Will compare to the standard grill when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #33
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2005 View Post
We should bring back hanging for this. No trial. Just string em up next to the road.
next to the road? Surely in lane 2?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #34
jdogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

So....picked up yesterday and beaming from ear to ear!

Things I like more than I thought I would:
1. Xdrive - phenomenal grip!!! I can't get over it, just sticks to the road with such precision, I absolutely love it.
2. Head up display - so so good. Never had before and didn't appreciate the functionality, even being on here non-stop for a couple of months. The maps are phenomenal, zooming at the right time, so detailed I never take eyes of road. Also loved receiving call through it and changing radio stations. A must have forever more. Spilt screen on the main control screen is also really well done with map on left and app (music/radio) on left, although never looked at it!
3. Adaptive LED lights - wasn't impressed with brightness until I drove in country lane and the way they surround car ahead without dazzling them is amazing. Gives real confidence driving at night.
4. Adaptive cruise control - much more human-like in responses than I expected and the closest distance you can set is just right for me. Will probably choose in every car I get in future.
5. Comfort seats - was a bit unsure and still adjusting but you can basically make the car hug you! I am a bit tall (1.81m, 5'11") but very long legs and have never managed to sit comfortably but still have the seat really far forward for rear passengers before. Worth it.

Things I wouldn't get again/unhappy about:
1. Display key - even after 1 day it is a gimmick. Very limited functions, sluggish response and pre-conditioning in light snow (a perfect test) was useless. Will only hold on to it for the next month to show to friends then ditch for normal key. With comfort access haven't been used it outside!
2. Foot pedals - seem to be set far to the right (UK right hand drive) so nowhere to rest foot when in cruise control. A bit amnnoying.
3. Digital cockpit - pretty lame attempt (used to Audi one tbf) and some cheap lights, eg AUTO H on, looks quite 90s.
4. 1 USB - really BMW?!! Had to get a 12V to USB charger. Really regret not getting enhanced bluetooth/wireless charge option; thought enhanced meant it was better but wireless charging was standard, it isn't!

Things that are as good as I hoped:
1. Apple CarPlay - music sounds better through this than bluetooth, functions are familiar and you can choose iDrive maps for contacts, even through apple maps, so you don't lose the HUD maps. Text/Whatsapp a waste of time tbf.
2. Harmon Kardon - clean sound, bass decent, kids said it was very loud in rear so need to play more with settings.
3. Sunroof - was pricey (didn't notice cost with all the extras I got) but bigger than expected so lets in loads of light for airy cabin feel.
4. Luxury feel - feels premium, nice place to sit. Ambient lighting is nice but have to set to dim at night otherwise you get a reflection in side window.
5. Engine - last but not least...! Smooth with a nice rumbling sound. Haven't floored it yet but mid range torque is very good and feels rapid even with 1-gear downshift.

That's more than enough for now. I've added some pics including some night ones, sorry only used my phone so some a bit blurry.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdogg; 03-18-2018 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Extra info
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      03-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #35
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Congrats on the new chariot. Great looking 540 and nice to see a RHD version . Interesting comment you made regarding the pedals. I had the same impression when I test drove the car in December. Perhaps its a transmission tunnel clearance issue on RHD.

I don't understand why they don't bring the X-Drive variant down here. The only option here is S Drive. My 540 just landed at the docks on Sunday - should hopefully be able to add some pics of my own within the next fortnight.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #36
jdogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Please share pics, I'm a bit obsessed with the G30, can't get enough!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg View Post

1. Display key - even after 1 day it is a gimmick. Very limited functions, sluggish response and pre-conditioning in light snow (a perfect test) was useless. Will only hold on to it for the next month to show to friends then ditch for normal key. With comfort access haven't been used it outside!
Good to read you are enjoying the new car.

Pre-conditioning... no pre heating in the UK, unless you know something new.

You need the option with auxiliary heater, as some markets get.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #38
jdogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good to read you are enjoying the new car.

Pre-conditioning... no pre heating in the UK, unless you know something new.

You need the option with auxiliary heater, as some markets get.
Says there is auxiliary heating in the menu but just blew the fan without any effect, mildly warmer than the outside temp 0 degrees C. Seats and steering wheel were warm, that's it
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #39
Ahoydolphin1
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318i Exclusive edition

Stunning car! What a beauty, enjoy it in great health
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #40
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Congrats! That's a cracking looking car. I notice bother with the one option all the reviewers strongly recommend - EDC. How to you find the ride without it?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #41
ztx84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Congrats mate - looks really good! I bet you are pleased with it... How does the pre-conditioning work with the steering wheel and seats then? Can you just do that off the display key or do you have to enable seats/wheel to come on below a certain temp in the car first?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg View Post

Things I like more than I thought I would:
1. Xdrive - phenomenal grip!!! I can't get over it, just sticks to the road with such precision, I absolutely love it.
2. Head up display - so so good. Never had before and didn't appreciate the functionality, even being on here non-stop for a couple of months. The maps are phenomenal, zooming at the right time, so detailed I never take eyes of road. Also loved receiving call through it and changing radio stations. A must have forever more. Spilt screen on the main control screen is also really well done with map on left and app (music/radio) on left, although never looked at it!
3. Adaptive LED lights - wasn't impressed with brightness until I drove in country lane and the way they surround car ahead without dazzling them is amazing. Gives real confidence driving at night.
4. Adaptive cruise control - much more human-like in responses than I expected and the closest distance you can set is just right for me. Will probably choose in every car I get in future.
5. Comfort seats - was a bit unsure and still adjusting but you can basically make the car hug you! I am a bit tall (1.81m, 5'11") but very long legs and have never managed to sit comfortably but still have the seat really far forward for rear passengers before. Worth it.

2. Foot pedals - seem to be set far to the right (UK right hand drive) so nowhere to rest foot when in cruise control. A bit amnnoying.
3. Digital cockpit - pretty lame attempt (used to Audi one tbf) and some cheap lights, eg AUTO H on, looks quite 90s.
4. 1 USB - really BMW?!! Had to get a 12V to USB charger. Really regret not getting enhanced bluetooth/wireless charge option; thought enhanced meant it was better but wireless charging was standard, it isn't!

Things that are as good as I hoped:
1. Apple CarPlay - music sounds better through this than bluetooth, functions are familiar and you can choose iDrive maps for contacts, even through apple maps, so you don't lose the HUD maps. Text/Whatsapp a waste of time tbf.
2. Harmon Kardon - clean sound, bass decent, kids said it was very loud in rear so need to play more with settings.
3. Sunroof - was pricey (didn't notice cost with all the extras I got) but bigger than expected so lets in loads of light for airy cabin feel.
4. Luxury feel - feels premium, nice place to sit. Ambient lighting is nice but have to set to dim at night otherwise you get a reflection in side window.
5. Engine - last but not least...! Smooth with a nice rumbling sound. Haven't floored it yet but mid range torque is very good and feels rapid even with 1-gear downshift.

That's more than enough for now. I've added some pics including some night ones, sorry only used my phone so some a bit blurry.
Nice car enjoy, get it off road if you can, some swine will scratch it otherwise.
      03-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #43
AP
Major General
Rep

Very nice indeed.
these 540s are getting popular in the UK!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #44
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Adaptive cruise is great, good choice. The only problem is in the UK is that on a busy motorway people jump in to the SENSIBLE gap it leaves when your doing 70mph.
Agreed.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0