BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Rear brake pads on G30

09-01-2022, 02:43 AM   #1
bimmer_lover
Rep
Drives: bmwg30

Rear brake pads on G30

I have a service light on 520d g30 luxury line that rear brake pads needs to change. dealership want to have 800 $ just for those, an additional 400$ for brake disc.
I would rather buy the pads myself and change them myself as the dealer says i dont lose warranty or anything.
My question is, do i only buy the pads, and is the Bosch ones good enough?
Do i need to write it to the iDrive that pads have changed?
Ive seen some discusion about e-brake in regards to brake replacenment. is that something i should consider?
Do i need to change any sensors that are related to brake pads/discs? i see there is a "wear sensor" a lot of people talk about.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

You need to purchase a rear wear sensor and replace it with the brake pads. You only need one for the right rear I believe.

For brake pads I personally like EBC redstuff. They bite good and have low dust compared to OEM.

There is a service reset that needs to be performed via the Gauge Cluster. Its the same menu that you would access when changing oil. You can't reset the brake pad service light unless you also change out the brake pad wear sensor.

You only need to change the rotors (discs) if they are not within spec or if they are cracked or warped. If this is your first time changing the rear pads, you most likely won't need new rotors, but its best to check the thickness. If you don't have calipers to measure, you can take them to an autoshop and they can measure and resurface your rotors if they need it. The rear discs are actually not very expensive, so if you have any doubt, just go ahead and purchase new ones. Zimmerman and Brembo are your cheapest, quality options.

For rear discs I paid about $150 each for Brembo
Rear brake pads I know was less than $200 for EBC Redstuff
OEM Rear Brake Pad Sensor was around $35
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2022, 11:40 PM   #3
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I forgot to answer your question about the parking brake. You can either use an OBD reader app to release them, or you can back them up manually with an Allen wrench.
Appreciate 0