BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Uh? XHP 20 M550 trans tune- AVAILABLE

04-08-2023, 05:11 PM   #45
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duta569 View Post
Hey bud how long did it take for xhp to send you your license code?
I recall it was pretty much immediate. There is a link to my license key in my order confirmation email. I purchased the License + Map Pack combo license on my PC and keyed it into my phone. I guess you are having problems getting your license key?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #46
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I recall it was pretty much immediate. There is a link to my license key in my order confirmation email. I purchased the License + Map Pack combo license on my PC and keyed it into my phone. I guess you are having problems getting your license key?
Yes. But i remember a lot of people on YouTube saying that it takes a few days. I didn't even get a confirmation email yet and I bought the license and map pack on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 12:34 AM   #47
Manley00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Quote:
Yes. But i remember a lot of people on YouTube saying that it takes a few days. I didn't even get a confirmation email yet and I bought the license and map pack on Thursday.
That doesn’t sound right- I got mine immediately also. Took a screen shot of it just to make sure I didn’t lose the “code”.

I’d double check your email… I got mine on the spot, I also just looked and they sent me an email immediately with the key.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 07:47 AM   #48
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

Check the spam box!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 03:14 PM   #49
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

OK quick update after spending a few hours driving this weekend.

My initial settings were Stage 2 with the following options: Gear Display, Switch off Sport in Cruise, and Auto Start/Stop. Last night I flashed another Stage 2 with Gear Display, Torque Limit first gear to 590 ft-lb, Switch off Sport in Cruise, Auto Start/Stop, and Fuel Saver. I added the torque limit to see if I can use Launch Control without overpowering the brakes with my BM3 Stage 1 tune.

I haven't tried any launches or really hard acceleration yet but can share the following based on my experience so far:
1. The difference between Sport+ and Sport seems greater than the difference between Sport and Comfort. Shifts are noticeably faster in Sport+, plus I often get throttle blips (revs) while coasting to a stop. I'm not sure if the throttle blips are an intended feature or if my transmission hasn't finished adapting to the flash yet.
2. Especially with Fuel Saver enabled, Comfort/D is very much like stock. I consider that a good thing, but I'm not sure if I'll keep Fuel Saver. The savings are really minimal
3. Eco Pro is very much a useable mode now with Auto Start/Stop disabled. For slow driving in heavy traffic the unresponsive throttle isn't so annoying.
4. I've also coded Comfort+ for my car - see other threads for how to do this. I was shocked to discover that Comfort+ always starts in second gear while Comfort starts in first. That may have been the case before the xHP tune but I never noticed because the gear wasn't displayed.
5. I don't use manual shifting much, but it seems much smoother now in Comfort and Sport.
6. When I flashed the second time, it failed because the xHP app was unable to clear fault codes. Fortunately it worked on the second try but I nearly had a cardiac event in the process. I think I'll revert to the ENET cable now that the TCU is unlocked.

I'm happy to answer any questions and eager to see how others are doing with this tune! As far as I know this will also work on LCI models so I expect it would work great with a stock engine tune or bolt-ons like JB4.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 11:56 AM   #50
Manley00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

My initial settings were Stage 2 with the following options: Gear Display, Switch off Sport in Cruise, and Auto Start/Stop. Last night I flashed another Stage 2 with Gear Display, Torque Limit first gear to 590 ft-lb, Switch off Sport in Cruise, Auto Start/Stop, and Fuel Saver. I added the torque limit to see if I can use Launch Control without overpowering the brakes with my BM3 Stage 1 tune.

I haven't tried any launches or really hard acceleration yet but can share the following based on my experience so far:
1. The difference between Sport+ and Sport seems greater than the difference between Sport and Comfort. Shifts are noticeably faster in Sport+, plus I often get throttle blips (revs) while coasting to a stop. I'm not sure if the throttle blips are an intended feature or if my transmission hasn't finished adapting to the flash yet.
2. Especially with Fuel Saver enabled, Comfort/D is very much like stock. I consider that a good thing, but I'm not sure if I'll keep Fuel Saver. The savings are really minimal
3. Eco Pro is very much a useable mode now with Auto Start/Stop disabled. For slow driving in heavy traffic the unresponsive throttle isn't so annoying.
4. I've also coded Comfort+ for my car - see other threads for how to do this. I was shocked to discover that Comfort+ always starts in second gear while Comfort starts in first. That may have been the case before the xHP tune but I never noticed because the gear wasn't displayed.
5. I don't use manual shifting much, but it seems much smoother now in Comfort and Sport.
6. When I flashed the second time, it failed because the xHP app was unable to clear fault codes. Fortunately it worked on the second try but I nearly had a cardiac event in the process. I think I'll revert to the ENET cable now that the TCU is unlocked.

I'm happy to answer any questions and eager to see how others are doing with this tune! As far as I know this will also work on LCI models so I expect it would work great with a stock engine tune or bolt-ons like JB4.

Fantastic write up! My second new dongle is out for delivery today! So I’ll have the trans tune on and be able to also provide some feedback! Just hoping it doesn’t delete all my settings!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:32 PM   #51
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 540i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Really great to hear your updates after spending more time with the new tune.

Did you notice any changes in the way it would shift when accelerating? Namely, curious if it seems more eager to downshift when pushing down the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:34 PM   #52
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manley00 View Post
Fantastic write up! My second new dongle is out for delivery today! So I’ll have the trans tune on and be able to also provide some feedback! Just hoping it doesn’t delete all my settings!
You should be able to backup your settings and restore them if it clears all of your current settings. Have a USB thumb drive in the cupholder USB port, then:

My Vehicle > Driver Profiles > your profile name > Export to USB
Then same process but Import from USB if you need to restore.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #53
Manley00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanlilan View Post
You should be able to backup your settings and restore them if it clears all of your current settings. Have a USB thumb drive in the cupholder USB port, then:

My Vehicle > Driver Profiles > your profile name > Export to USB
Then same process but Import from USB if you need to restore.
Hell yea! Awesome! Ty!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 03:22 PM   #54
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

I forgot to mention in my update yesterday that the second time I flashed the car the only settings that were reset were the driving mode settings like configuration of Sport Individual and Eco Pro Individual. Those are probably stored in the TCU. Hopefully we only need to save to a USB the first time we flash it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 05:22 PM   #55
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you notice any changes in the way it would shift when accelerating? Namely, curious if it seems more eager to downshift when pushing down the throttle.
Short answer is that I haven't driven it hard enough or long enough yet to observe the behavior in detail. The long answer is maybe more helpful:

My understanding is that the Driving Mode (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport) and throttle position control how hard the transmission shifts. xHP alters this by shifting faster in sportier modes under heavier throttle. The Transmission Mode (Drive, Sport, Manual) and throttle position control when (at what RPM) the transmission shifts. xHP alters this by loading new shift maps that upshift later, which also means that they downshift sooner.

I don't think that xHP raises shift points in Drive very much, and I probably reduced them back near stock by turning on Fuel Saver. But I expect that after I do more spirited driving I could confidently answer yes to your question.

Anybody with deeper knowledge of this topic, please elaborate or correct any mistakes in my understanding. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 05:23 PM   #56
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good write up Wretched...

I bought the license on Thursday. I emailed xhp and PM them on Instagram on Friday with no response. I emailed them again over the weekend and PM them through Instagram, again no response. I don't know what the deal is with this company.

I have Dyno Time set up for first thing Friday morning and I have my tuner setup for remote dyno tuning. At this rate, I may have to cancel my dyno tuning. What sucks is the BMW tuner I use is one of the most popular in the US and it's very hard to get remote Dyno time. Once you flash the TCU you're supposed to drive for 50 or 75 miles. I have three days to make all this happen with no response from xhp.

I'll share any adjustments and configurations I make.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 06:31 PM   #57
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
... I bought the license on Thursday. I emailed xhp and PM them on Instagram on Friday with no response. I emailed them again over the weekend and PM them through Instagram, again no response. I don't know what the deal is with this company. ... At this rate, I may have to cancel my dyno tuning. What sucks is the BMW tuner I use is one of the most popular in the US and it's very hard to get remote Dyno time. ....
So sorry to hear that! I wish there were something we could do to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 08:31 PM   #58
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So sorry to hear that! I wish there were something we could do to help.
No worries. I appreciate that though. I'm hoping tomorrow they come through and email me my flash license. And I'll just swing by my performance shop, they have the Wi-Fi adapter to do the unlock and then I'll do everything on an enet cable. I'll save a whole $80 for the Wi-Fi adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:53 AM   #59
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I don't think that xHP raises shift points in Drive very much, and I probably reduced them back near stock by turning on Fuel Saver. But I expect that after I do more spirited driving I could confidently answer yes to your question.

One slightly annoying feeling I have after the Stage 1 engine tune is that there's so much torque down low that the car accelerates without downshifting if I push the throttle a bit. There's plenty of power but almost feels like it lugs until it reaches higher RPMs.

I was curious if XHP behaves the same as a stock map due to detecting that there is enough torque to push the car without gearing down.

In any case, thanks again for sharing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #60
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
... I was curious if XHP behaves the same as a stock map due to detecting that there is enough torque to push the car without gearing down. ...
Without directly answering your question, I know that xHP raises shift points, especially in Sport shifting mode. And especially in Sport/Sport+ engine mode, it will also perform the downshift faster once it decides to shift. But I don't know enough to comment on what you're asking about, which is the relationship between throttle position, or maybe sudden changes in throttle position, and the shift map. Hopefully somebody else here can school us on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:01 PM   #61
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One slightly annoying feeling I have after the Stage 1 engine tune is that there's so much torque down low that the car accelerates without downshifting if I push the throttle a bit. There's plenty of power but almost feels like it lugs until it reaches higher RPMs.

I was curious if XHP behaves the same as a stock map due to detecting that there is enough torque to push the car without gearing down.

In any case, thanks again for sharing your experience.
Is yor car tuned?
What mode were you driving in?

Stage 1 is not used by many people. It basically is just a torque limiter removal.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #62
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is yor car tuned?
What mode were you driving in?

Stage 1 is not used by many people. It basically is just a torque limiter removal.
Stage 1 engine tune, no XHP. I was just curious if XHP would downshift more eagerly than no-XHP when I push down the accelerator.

Tuned-DME to stock-TCU communication probably says there's plenty of torque now to keep it at low RPM to accelerate. Whereas before the engine tune, it would need to downshift - my theory anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:44 PM   #63
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

... the relationship between throttle position, or maybe sudden changes in throttle position, and the shift map.
Yep - that's exactly what I'm wondering, including how engine-transmission torque relationship plays into that in XHP tune. Likely a very complicated answer but to put it simply; can you program XHP to shift sooner when the throttle position changes quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 02:09 PM   #64
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep - that's exactly what I'm wondering, including how engine-transmission torque relationship plays into that in XHP tune. Likely a very complicated answer but to put it simply; can you program XHP to shift sooner when the throttle position changes quickly.
This guy does a pretty good job explaining xhp. I fell asleep a few times with him talking, but try to stay awake and pay attention. Haha

https://youtu.be/G176o7Cj9oU

https://youtu.be/bqGSePe-vxo
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #65
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This guy does a pretty good job explaining xhp. I fell asleep a few times with him talking, but try to stay awake and pay attention. Haha...
LOL I knew exactly whom you were talking about even before I clicked the link. These are great videos and this guy is brilliant, if maybe a little dry.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 08:11 PM   #66
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
I know that xHP raises shift points, especially in Sport shifting mode.
So it will increase the redline?
Appreciate 0