BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New M550- How to Stop Speed Limit Display in HUD?

05-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
JohnRI
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive

New M550- How to Stop Speed Limit Display in HUD?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I picked up my new Mediterranean Blue M550 Monday Night after 8 weeks of waiting for it to be built and arrive in Rhode Island. I'm a previous 550 F10 owner and this car is definitely superior in comfort, handling and acceleration than my former F10. I will post more information as I put some hours on the car but one very annoying thing is the new HUD.

The HUD seems out of place (should be farther to left in my opinion) and it also automatically displays the road speed limit as a square white background (bright) block with black letters along with the actual vehicle speed that is more subdued. it is so bright that it is distracting but turning brightness down only seems to make the actual speed fade out. I read the users manual and it seems that the only way to get rid of the blasted sign is to choose the "reduced display" option, however, from the illustrations in the manual it looks like the Nav information is also then not displayed. I also have Night Vision option and concerned that will not display in the reduced mode.

Does anyone with an HUD know if there is a way to individually set what you want to have displayed or not displayed? I called the BMW Genius line and they were USELESS. I explained the issue and what the manual said and their response was "guess that is how it works" and to "discuss with dealer service team". Hoping that there is a way to rid the display of the sign without ridding other important information.

I posted a few pictures of the new car. Note that I requested delivery with the original white wrap left on the car. I did my own detailing so as not have dealer induced swirls then sealed with a Ceramic Sealer for better protection against the elements. I found 2 blemishes that I could buff out underneath the white wrap! Thanks for any input to the HUD situation.

Looks like there is a problem loading pictures. Will retry later.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRI View Post
I picked up my new Mediterranean Blue M550 Monday Night after 8 weeks of waiting for it to be built and arrive in Rhode Island. I'm a previous 550 F10 owner and this car is definitely superior in comfort, handling and acceleration than my former F10. I will post more information as I put some hours on the car but one very annoying thing is the new HUD.

The HUD seems out of place (should be farther to left in my opinion) and it also automatically displays the road speed limit as a square white background (bright) block with black letters along with the actual vehicle speed that is more subdued. it is so bright that it is distracting but turning brightness down only seems to make the actual speed fade out. I read the users manual and it seems that the only way to get rid of the blasted sign is to choose the "reduced display" option, however, from the illustrations in the manual it looks like the Nav information is also then not displayed. I also have Night Vision option and concerned that will not display in the reduced mode.

Does anyone with an HUD know if there is a way to individually set what you want to have displayed or not displayed? I called the BMW Genius line and they were USELESS. I explained the issue and what the manual said and their response was "guess that is how it works" and to "discuss with dealer service team". Hoping that there is a way to rid the display of the sign without ridding other important information.

I posted a few pictures of the new car. Note that I requested delivery with the original white wrap left on the car. I did my own detailing so as not have dealer induced swirls then sealed with a Ceramic Sealer for better protection against the elements. I found 2 blemishes that I could buff out underneath the white wrap! Thanks for any input to the HUD situation.

Sorry don't know about customising the HUD but I've found that the focus of the writing is a little bit and miss and I agree with you on the location too.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

On my F10, there is a setting in iDrive to turn on/off the speed limit signs in HUD submenu. I turned mine off. Distracting.

Not sure if it's different for G30 though.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
JohnRI
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive

I looked through the technical manuals and found that the section entitled Active Driving Assistant has the necessary information to turn off Speed Limit Sign Identification. Through My Vehicle, iDrive, Display, Instrument Panel then Reduced Display. It removes the sign from HUD as well even with the default condition. Thanks for your inputs as if it was possible to remove this sign in the F10 it should also be possible in the G30.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Hi John,

I really know nothing about this at first hand, and I'm still awaiting my new 5-series to arrive, however I do remember reading a couple of reviews which stated that the HUD is totally customizable.

Perhaps the positioning of the display can also be modified slightly. Might be worth asking your local dealer?

I'm getting the HUD too, so fingers crossed! Best wishes getting what you want out of this feature!

Roger
      05-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
ohrich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRI View Post

My Vehicle / I Drive settings / Display /HUD Settings / Reduced

That should get rid of the speed limit info on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Jailor
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i, 2019 Audi Q7

I have found that polarized sun glasses do the trick ;-)
Appreciate 0