BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Wifi network chromecast

09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
psu
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G31 - BMW 5-serie 540i xDrive

Wifi network chromecast

Dear fellow BMW-drivers,

I bought a full-options 540i (g31) , loving every minute, but with all the options questions arise. maybe somebody can help me. I have a hotspot wifi enabled, and on the screens in the back, connected a chromecast. iphones,ipad and chromecast connected and now streaming netflix,videoland, upc (formule 1) Fox , all works flawlessly. now my first 2 questions i could not find on this forum.

1. if data of hotspot (telecom, bmw only standard option) is finished, will network then stop? or only internetdata? I’m fine if only already downloaded content will play. (of course time will tell, as data will finish fast, but maybe somebody knows)
2. or is there another way without subscibtion to keep network alive and devices to ‘talk’ to each other through wifi network in the bmw?

Psu
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
gthefish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530i

Garage List
2022 BMW M550  [0.00]
2019 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Streaming to my RSE in my G30.

I also have the Chromecast hooked up with my iPhone and it works great. I'm able to stream Netflix, Youtube, etc., to my RSE. Big plus for road trips with the family. I was initially bummed when I read only Android's could stream, but was happy to find this work around.

I purchased the WIFI through my cell phone service provider - AT&T, but I'm not sure it would work without it.

I read somewhere that you can set your phone as the hotspot and connect the Chromecast to that, but have not tried that method personally.
Appreciate 0