BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Storage Compartment by Steering Column Broken

10-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Storage Compartment by Steering Column Broken

2019 M550

That little storage compartment to the left of the steering column (for left-hand drive), under the headlight controls. I've opened it maybe three times total - I keep the valet key blade in there and have never had a need to use it.

Opened the driver's door today and the compartment was hanging open. Fiddling it with 5 seconds shows the latch is broken (the spring that pushes it to closed position apparently no longer exists).

I'm taking it to the dealership in a couple days under warranty - but any idea how easy of a fix it is or if I'll be waiting on a part? And if it's a wait - any ideas on how to keep it shut in the meantime? I don't particularly want to tape it shut since I imagine they'll replace the door at most, not the entire underside of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

UK. Mine was ordered from Germany and when it arrived, it took less than 2 hours to fix
      10-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
2019 M550

That little storage compartment to the left of the steering column (for left-hand drive), under the headlight controls. I've opened it maybe three times total - I keep the valet key blade in there and have never had a need to use it.

Opened the driver's door today and the compartment was hanging open. Fiddling it with 5 seconds shows the latch is broken (the spring that pushes it to closed position apparently no longer exists).

I'm taking it to the dealership in a couple days under warranty - but any idea how easy of a fix it is or if I'll be waiting on a part? And if it's a wait - any ideas on how to keep it shut in the meantime? I don't particularly want to tape it shut since I imagine they'll replace the door at most, not the entire underside of the dash.
Mine did the same thing. I kept closing it hard and eventually it closed. But it doesn't necessarily stay closed. Obviously, a bad and cheap latch given how many posts I have seen on this issue.

I emailed my SA and told her that when I next came in, I wanted it addressed. Not important enough for me to make a separate trip.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks all! There's some sort of software recall on mine also so I'll take it this week anyway to have them look. Good to know it's a quick fix once the part comes in.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update - went by this morning and they ordered the part, should be in tomorrow.

Apparently the software update takes 2-3 hours??? So I told them just do it all tomorrow and I'll grab a loaner for the day.

SA seemed familiar with the issue and part number; I guess it's not uncommon for that particular compartment to break. I'm a little surprised mine did as I almost never actually use/open it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update - went by this morning and they ordered the part, should be in tomorrow.

Apparently the software update takes 2-3 hours??? So I told them just do it all tomorrow and I'll grab a loaner for the day.

SA seemed familiar with the issue and part number; I guess it's not uncommon for that particular compartment to break. I'm a little surprised mine did as I almost never actually use/open it.
Mine is in the shop right now for the software update and the tray issue. Got a real basic X3 as a loaner. Compared to my loaded 530e, what a difference!! The engine seems to run rough compared to my car and the Vernasca leather, to me, seems no different from the Dakota that I dislike. The Idrive screen is tiny.

I will have to have the car coded all over again.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Mine is in the shop right now for the software update and the tray issue. Got a real basic X3 as a loaner. Compared to my loaded 530e, what a difference!! The engine seems to run rough compared to my car and the Vernasca leather, to me, seems no different from the Dakota that I dislike. The Idrive screen is tiny.

I will have to have the car coded all over again.
Yeah I'm not particularly looking forward to the loaner but at least it'll get me around for the day.

I haven't gotten into coding so won't have to redo all that. Do you usually end up having to reset all your personalization stuff (radio presets, seat positions, etc) after a software update?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm not particularly looking forward to the loaner but at least it'll get me around for the day.

I haven't gotten into coding so won't have to redo all that. Do you usually end up having to reset all your personalization stuff (radio presets, seat positions, etc) after a software update?
Not necessarily all the personalizations but the codings do get undone. For example from my codings (that is a royal "my" as I use Al Maretto to do it remotely), my car defaults to adaptive mode rather than comfort. Similarly, my adaptive cruise control defaults to closest distance and I activate the adaptive lighting.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #9
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

My car had this issue and also the wireless charger failed so two warranty claims in one hit.

Took them 2 weeks to order the parts from Germany and surely enough they seems to have been revised. The wireless charging pad now has a much more grippy surface, my phone and especially the Display Key doesn’t sliding around anymore. The coin compartment also seems to have a more solid latch mechanism and it is now lined with a felt like materials to prevent coins rattling in there.

Overall I’m happy with the fix and improvements done to those 2 items.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
gooselee162.00
      10-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Blah. Car is at the dealership today for the repair, but they were out of loaners so I was given a ratty Nissan Frontier from the Enterprise down the street. Glad I only had to drive to the office and back today.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Got my car back. Software updated so I am back to BMW default. I will need to get it coded again.

BMW replaced the lower grill flaps. They also replaced the storage compartment under the light switch and at least now the bottom is felt lined and the latch seems to stay securely closed.

But they said my tires were worn out below the standard at only 17K miles. I don't track the car, don't do wheelies, etc. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting to see comments about the felt lining. My 2019 was felt lined from the start, but still had the bad latch.

Re: tires - I'm still under 3k so no noticeable wear. But, with the weather changing and tire pressure dropping, this is the first car where I've actually noticed a big difference in just a few PSI of change. After our cold snap I was down 3-4 PSI from that iDrive recommends, and the car definitely felt more "muddy" in steering until I got them topped back up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

My mechanics said one thing when he worked on my brakes. He said modern cars with all the stability control techs nowadays seems to have different wear & tear comparing to old school cars with no safety techs. He said rear tyres, brake pads and rotor usually wears faster due to the car correcting the wheels individually with brakes to keep the vehicle stable around bends, in wet weather, etc.

This maybe one of contributing factors, my rear pads went before my front and I asked because I thought traditionally brakes are almost always front bias. Kinda makes sense after he explained it.
Appreciate 3
gooselee162.00
clee1982797.50
ted99242.00