BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Trip reading randomly resetting

02-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
asmith17
Rep
Drives: G30 540

Trip reading randomly resetting

Bit of a weird one and wondered if anyone else had encountered it. My trip mileometer keeps resetting back to zero. Normally I reset it, via the button in the dash, when I fill up but recently it’s just randomly resets. Yesterday it reset after about 200 miles. Anyone encountered that?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Have you confirmed the iDrive settings? The trip computer can bet set for Auto reset (i.e. 4 hours after the vehicle has come to a standstill). Go to "My Vehicle>Driving Info>Trip Computer" then move left to see the reset options. The icon with the small "A" is the auto reset (should have a checkbox to see if it's enabled).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #3
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE G30 2017

Yes! I started noticing the trip computer scrolling through the various modes by itself at random. Then, when I had the main beam lights on, they would switch back to dipped beam by themselves (no headlamp assist in my car). Then the indicators would randomly stop working and the odometer would reset.

Basically, anything to do with the left hand stalk on the steering column seemed to be affected. It's with BMW at the moment waiting for a new module which appears to have failed. Keep your eye on the trip computer and see if it does the same, if so yours may have the same fault with the module.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1 View Post
Yes! I started noticing the trip computer scrolling through the various modes by itself at random. Then, when I had the main beam lights on, they would switch back to dipped beam by themselves (no headlamp assist in my car). Then the indicators would randomly stop working and the odometer would reset.

Basically, anything to do with the left hand stalk on the steering column seemed to be affected. It's with BMW at the moment waiting for a new module which appears to have failed. Keep your eye on the trip computer and see if it does the same, if so yours may have the same fault with the module.
So random. Keep us posted as I'm interested to hear what their solution is.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
asmith17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1 View Post

Now that is interesting. I also think there is a correlation to what ever I’m doing on that stall at the time. I didn’t mention it earlier as I thought I was putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. But this rather confirms my thoughts too. Please let us know what the fix is and then I’ll book mine in too. German quality eh?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith17 View Post
Now that is interesting. I also think there is a correlation to what ever I’m doing on that stall at the time. I didn’t mention it earlier as I thought I was putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. But this rather confirms my thoughts too. Please let us know what the fix is and then I’ll book mine in too. German quality eh?
Ok, I'll post an update once I know the result. The part required is on back order from Germany but expected around Tuesday, so I will hopefully know a bit more once that arrives later in the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have received my car back this evening from the main dealer. They state that the fault had been with the left hand indicator stalk and this had affected the steering angle sensor so that various confused signals were being sent between them causing the issues experienced.
The stalk has been replaced, the steering angle sensor reset and they believe this has resolved the issue. I've only driven a couple miles home; it was fine but I guess time will tell. I will report back if I have any further issues!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
asmith17
Rep

Thanks for the update. Will book mine in.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

No problem. Mine has been fine since so it seems it was the indicator stalk at fault. Hope yours is resolved swiftly too.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:29 AM   #10
Karthy
KaRtHy
Thailand
Rep
Drives: G30 520d M Sport

Mine did this yesterday and the day before. I will book for a service too. My car has another weird thing. Its wipers worked 2 times while I was driving last week. I never put the wiper stalk to auto mode. After it wiped I look at the stalk to make sure that it isn’t in auto position.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Itsme
Rep
Drives: G31 520d

I've only had the trip reset itself 2 twice and wondered at the time if it might be the reset button. Interesting about the wipers as I have had this frequently on mine (2018 G31); it will be a perfectly dry day, clean windscreen and the wipers will randomly come on, sometimes a single wipe, sometimes they stay on. It's always when they are in the 'off' position (I also assumed I left it in auto mode, but I hadn't!). Not a major pain, so will have a word with the dealer when it's next due in.

Nice to know it's not just me thinking I'm slowly going mad on a long journey when the wipers come on or the trip resets :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

I usually keep my on board computer in momentary consumption mode. I have noticed the mode has changed from that to odometer mode a couple of times by itself after returning to the car. Is this part of the same story?
Appreciate 0