BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery M550i allocations

02-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
robbyb83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i x-drive

M550i allocations

I just wanted to ask if there was a standard number of certain model allocations a dealership would receive in a period of time. I negotiated an order for an M550i at the very end of 2021. The dealership was clear they didn’t have an allocation at that time, but felt they would be getting some soon (early 2022). I only placed a $1000 deposit and had a credit check. I still have not had my order placed yet. I really don’t mind waiting if this is just the state of car-buying at this time, but thought I’d ask if M550i allocations are scarce at this time. I read some thread from last summer/fall, and a more recent one from Dec 2021, but just wanted to ask now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
Verzul
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

From my understanding it depends on the dealership. My dealership said different dealerships get different allocations every month. The month I ordered mine they got triple the allocations of the previous month (they claimed).

They are free to use them as they please also. They may give priority to other people waiting longer or others that are more profitable.

Dealership also told me they get allocations for different car types too. So they may get a lot of X5 allocs but a different number of 5-series xdrives vs non x-drives etc. not sure if anyone can confirm or deny that.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2022, 11:01 PM   #3
jcal65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550ix

I went through a similar experience in mid Oct. and got frustrated very quickly with the dreaded unknown production date.

From what I understand, the number of allocations for the M550i are very small in comparison to other models and the number of allocations varies by dealer size/volume. I believe the demand for the M550i has been higher than the allotted allocations from the factory, with many people willing to pay MSRP and higher for at least the last 6 months. This may have adjusted slightly since I am seeing stock at several dealers and sales are typically slower in Jan & Feb.

Some dealers continue to accept deposits in hope they will somehow miraculously get another allocation from a very limited pool. The reality is that whatever allocation they get will likely go to the most profitable sale/customer for the dealership once a production date is received.

The only way to truly know you have secured a solid order is when the dealer can provide you with an actual production number, production date and show the car is assigned to you on the documentation (I received this at the time I made my deposit). Until this time, the dealer can bump your place in line to someone else willing to pay a premium, leaving you hanging. If your dealer is unwilling to provide this documentation, I suggest contacting other dealers.

Since you are approaching 60 days and no production number, you may have to start the credit approval process all over again at a potentially higher rate. In California, your BMW Financial credit approval and rate are locked for 120 days. I am not sure if this is true for your state, I have heard it is 90 days in some areas. My car took 105 days from the date the production number was secured, credit approval and deposit to delivery. It took 5 weeks to clear the stop sale at the port to reach the dealer 100 miles away, I just made it. Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider.

I am not sure if the production/stop sale delay situation has improved recently. What is shocking is my local BMW dealer has three M550’s built in Nov. in stock and unsold. One has been sitting since the middle of Jan. In Oct., they told me they had allocations but would never give me a production date to secure an order at MSRP. I moved on to a better dealer and deal 300 miles away.

The good news is when you finally get a production number and eventually take delivery, you will absolutely love the M550i. Good luck!
      02-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
robbyb83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i x-drive

Thank you both for the information. I guess I probably should e-mail the dealership again inquiring about my order; I was planning to wait til March to see if maybe they had updates at that time.

I would be OK with going to a different dealership, but I would probably pay a little more (MSRP). Your point about financing is also something to consider, as I don't think my approval will be good after March 2022, but that would be the same at any dealership.

EDIT: I guess I also would need to ask for my deposit back if I was going with a different dealership.

Last edited by robbyb83; 02-22-2022 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: added more text
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

I would search all over the country if u are anxious and start as close to you as I can get. I found a car in Maryland that waw just about what I wanted and was built already in germany. I waited about 10 weeks before I go it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
berninam550
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m550

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyb83 View Post
I just wanted to ask if there was a standard number of certain model allocations a dealership would receive in a period of time. I negotiated an order for an M550i at the very end of 2021. The dealership was clear they didn’t have an allocation at that time, but felt they would be getting some soon (early 2022). I only placed a $1000 deposit and had a credit check. I still have not had my order placed yet. I really don’t mind waiting if this is just the state of car-buying at this time, but thought I’d ask if M550i allocations are scarce at this time. I read some thread from last summer/fall, and a more recent one from Dec 2021, but just wanted to ask now. Thanks!
I would suggest going to a dealership that sells a lot of vehicles. I went around to quite a few lower sales ones, who told me they did not have any allocations or had to wait until they got one to place an order.

So I went ahead and searched for dealerships that have won sales awards, found one that won that award consistently since 2010 - 2020. They are also in the top 10 BMW dealerships in the country for sales.

Called them ordered the car and was given an allocation within a few days. Granted the earliest they had was a March build, but it is better than the other dealerships that told me to pay a deposit and wait for an unknown period of time.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by berninam550 View Post
I would suggest going to a dealership that sells a lot of vehicles. I went around to quite a few lower sales ones, who told me they did not have any allocations or had to wait until they got one to place an order.

So I went ahead and searched for dealerships that have won sales awards, found one that won that award consistently since 2010 - 2020. They are also in the top 10 BMW dealerships in the country for sales.

Called them ordered the car and was given an allocation within a few days. Granted the earliest they had was a March build, but it is better than the other dealerships that told me to pay a deposit and wait for an unknown period of time.

Good luck...
Did you get any discount off MSRP?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #8
berninam550
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m550

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
Did you get any discount off MSRP?
Only $1,500 off MSRP, I went ahead and took it because the other dealerships were charging me upwards of $5-$10k above MSRP.
Appreciate 0