BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Transmission shifting softer in M550?!

04-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Transmission shifting softer in M550?!

So the other day I had my car in sport plus mode and it felt like the shifts were noticeably less snappy.

When the car is in comfort mode the shifts are so smooth they are undetectable sport mode is kind of similar and sport plus mode the shifts are intense… I split my Time among all the settings the shifts in sport plus mode are very aggressive almost like a dual clutch transmission…

For the past day it seems like when I am in sport plus mode the shifts are very soft the aggressive pop between shifts is gone and the shifting is incredibly smooth which I don't like because if it's in sport plus load it should be hard.

My M550 is totally stock.

Every once in a while I'll get a hard shift in sport plus mode but then it seems to go back to being squishy again has anyone experienced this??

If this continues I would take it into the dealer as I suspect that could be something wrong with my transmission but before I go in I thought I'd see if anybody else has experienced this?

My car is a 2018 with about 50k miles. No mods
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
So the other day I had my car in sport plus mode and it felt like the shifts were noticeably less snappy.

When the car is in comfort mode the shifts are so smooth they are undetectable sport mode is kind of similar and sport plus mode the shifts are intense… I split my Time among all the settings the shifts in sport plus mode are very aggressive almost like a dual clutch transmission…

For the past day it seems like when I am in sport plus mode the shifts are very soft the aggressive pop between shifts is gone and the shifting is incredibly smooth which I don't like because if it's in sport plus load it should be hard.

Every once in a while I'll get a hard shift in sport plus mode but then it seems to go back to being squishy again has anyone experienced this??

If this continues I would take it into the dealer as I suspect that could be something wrong with my transmission but before I go in I thought I'd see if anybody else has experienced this?

There was another thread where people were discussing the shifts basically adapting to how you drive over time. There was a way to reset it back to default. I'm sorry I can't recall the details but maybe that will point you in a productive direction.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post

There was another thread where people were discussing the shifts basically adapting to how you drive over time. There was a way to reset it back to default. I'm sorry I can't recall the details but maybe that will point you in a productive direction.
I drive my car HARD on a regular basis..so i doubt it is anything the car "learned". If anything it learned to shift hard. I am in sport plus half the time i drive it.

It feels like the same normal "hit" when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, but then as I maintain full throttle and it shifts from 2-3 and from 3-4 the engagement between gears feels "soft". Usually you feel a "hit" when it shifts gears..the other day I was WOT from 1st through 5th—and the changes from 3-4 and 4-5 felt almost "squishy"… like it was in comfort mode.

Weird.

I will keep watching it as I drive this week to see if it continues…. I'm under full warranty so if anything is going on I'll have my dealer deal with it and I'll report back. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed the car not shifting as aggressively as mileage increases..or if there was some way the tranny coudl wear and start a slipping of some kind that would be detected by what I am describing .

Thx
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50