BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Mileage or Packages?

04-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #23
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Just to add, often lease return cars tend to fall into the attractive mileage with lazy prior owner category. I try to stay away from lease cars. I have leased 2-3 BMW's and I can honestly say, I don't feel the same way about the car as when I own it because I know it is going back. That is not to say I don't care for it like a future owner would want me too mechanically, but I probably won't be ceramicing it and I won't lose as much sleep over the small door dings or scuffs, etc. I also would probably let my dog in a lease where he has never been in the M550. These things all add up. Everything gets addressed in real time on the cars I own. It's just a mindset I think.
A lease is a glorified rental car and should be approached the same way when looking at them on the used market.

In some leases, just like in rentals. You can get the old relaxed driver who treats it well and "respects" that it is someone's property. You also get the potentially younger driver who is hammering it every second they can get. Break in period? Who needs those! Warm the car up before flooring it? Why if it blows up you have a warranty! BMW says 89 is the minimum octane? Give it the lowest octane you can find and drive it as hard as you can!

And everything in between.
I'd say, with the 2-3 BMW leases I've entered in, I came out of the box thinking I'm going buy this off lease so I treat it like that, then the novelty wears off and you rash a rim or bumper rub something and that thought starts to drift. I was only fooling myself. I've bought two cars off lease in my life and neither were BMWs. Audi Q7 because it was the family bus and the residual was $10k less than market value and an Infiniti QX60 which I still have and hate, but it's also the family bus that gets beat on.
I agree with the points you and LogicalApex are making. That's why I was pretty picky about finding mine. I took the overall condition of the vehicle, especially the interior, the low miles driven, and the detailed service records as indicators that car had at least been taken care of to the average standard, if not better.

Also, in this part of the country, there aren't many young hooligans leasing BMW 540's. Especially without tinting the windows and with beige interior. Haha. I only know one other friend that drives a sedan. SUVs are it down here, especially for young guys (I'm 36).

Basically, I think you make good points. I treat a previous lease the same as any used car. Get all the information that I can and assess the condition of the vehicle. At some point, any preowned purchase is a risk, unless you're buying from someone you know.

Maybe Joe will get ready to sell that 550 about the time I'm ready for another g30. That's a used car that I'd feel good about!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
      04-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #24
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKPark View Post
Hello,
I have been considering G30 between 2018 540i(Dark Gray) 44k miles and 2017 540i(Silver) 29k miles

I am going to use the car for commuting to college
It's 20 mile round trip

Which one would you recommend?
The 2nd vehicle color is not silver…but a Bluestone Metallic. BTW, my very 1st whip in college was a good ole '98 Camry w/ 360K miles on-the-clock several years ago.
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50
      04-05-2022, 07:36 PM   #25
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetieD 7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKPark View Post
Hello,
I have been considering G30 between 2018 540i(Dark Gray) 44k miles and 2017 540i(Silver) 29k miles

I am going to use the car for commuting to college
It's 20 mile round trip

Which one would you recommend?
The 2nd vehicle color is not silver…but a Bluestone Metallic. BTW, my very 1st whip in college was a good ole '98 Camry w/ 360K miles on-the-clock several years ago.
I think you can put water in a Toyota tank and change the oil with melted ice cream and it will still get you from A to B.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 3
BKPark6.00
PetieD 7169.50
540iSUP704.00