BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis 540i brakes constantly warping

08-31-2022, 08:07 PM   #1
ahkwak
Rep
Drives: bmw 540i & x3 m40i

Angry 540i brakes constantly warping

I am having difficulty with my g30.

TLDR: My brakes keep warping and I'm not sure why.

I just changed my brakes early in March after feeling pulsing on brakes. After the brakes were changed the vehicle drove smooth for a few months. However, it came with a hefty price tag. If I failed to brake smoothly, I would need to pay another hefty fee. Knowing this, I drove very carefully.

In June I felt it start to pulsate again. FGJ!H?!FHJKD
I went in to the dealership and they told me I warped my rotors............. AGAIN!
I asked them how this can be and they didn't know either and just told me I'd need to cough up the dough to get them fixed. I got a whole new set of brake pads and rotors for the front. And then it broke smoothly again. wooh.

August comes around.............
I
feel
pulsation!
AHHHHHHHHH!

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I know the costs and I'm doing my best to brake smoothly. Yet, I keep getting warped rotors. I drive an X3 the same and there are no issues there. These are OEM brake pads and rotors.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue or if it could be something to do with another part of the car? I asked the dealership and they said the brake calipers are in stellar condition and just recently replaced my control arms. So could it be something else? Anything helps. Thank you

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:32 PM   #2
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

I've also started to feel some pulsating after an unreasonably short interval from pad and rotor replacement. Going to rebed the brakes hard over the weekend and see how it improves.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkwak View Post
I am having difficulty with my g30.

I just changed my brakes early in March after feeling pulsing on brakes. After the brakes were changed the vehicle drove smooth for a few months. However, it came with a hefty price tag. If I failed to brake smoothly, I would need to pay another hefty fee. Knowing this, I drove very carefully.

In June I felt it start to pulsate again. FGJ!H?!FHJKD
I went in to the dealership and they told me I warped my rotors............. AGAIN!
I asked them how this can be and they didn't know either and just told me I'd need to cough up the dough to get them fixed. I got a whole new set of brake pads and rotors for the front. And then it broke smoothly again. wooh.

August comes around.............
I
feel
pulsation!
AHHHHHHHHH!

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I know the costs and I'm doing my best to brake smoothly. Yet, I keep getting warped rotors. I drive an X3 the same and there are no issues there. These are OEM brake pads and rotors.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue or if it could be something to do with another part of the car? I asked the dealership and they said the brake calipers are in stellar condition and just recently replaced my control arms. So could it be something else? Anything helps. Thank you

do you still have warranty? i had them warrantied on my benz before.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Its fairly uncommon, but if you don't torque down your wheel bolts properly or over torque them, they could affect the rotors. The only other thing I can think of is rust or dirt on the hub, but I doubt a qualified BMW tech would put new rotors on the hub without cleaning it first.

That's really all I can think of besides heat, but you seem to have that figured out.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

FWIW, I tracked my cars for over 20 years and raced wheel to wheel for 10. I never warped a rotor. Ever.

I did get pad deposits on rotors though. It'll cause the brakes to shudder like they are warped.

Go try this: Get up to highway speed, take an off ramp, make sure no one is on your ass, jam on the brakes. I mean romp on them like a puppy walked in front of your car at the last second. Coast for a few feet and keep your foot off the brake (or very, very lightly apply). Do that a couple of times and see if that helps.

Alternately, you can do this without stopping on a lonely highway by doing some 70-30mph braking exercises. Make sure no police or traffic first.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
430Scud253.00
      09-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
ahkwak
Rep

I'm not sure if brakes have any warranty. And I'm curious, what would the braking over and over achieve?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Removes pad deposits on the rotor which can cause the warped feeling. What the nether describes is essentially rebedding your brakes.
Appreciate 1
ahkwak1.50
      09-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
FWIW, I tracked my cars for over 20 years and raced wheel to wheel for 10. I never warped a rotor. Ever.

I did get pad deposits on rotors though. It'll cause the brakes to shudder like they are warped.

Go try this: Get up to highway speed, take an off ramp, make sure no one is on your ass, jam on the brakes. I mean romp on them like a puppy walked in front of your car at the last second. Coast for a few feet and keep your foot off the brake (or very, very lightly apply). Do that a couple of times and see if that helps.

Alternately, you can do this without stopping on a lonely highway by doing some 70-30mph braking exercises. Make sure no police or traffic first.

https://centricparts.com/getmedia/af...rakeJudder.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
Removes pad deposits on the rotor which can cause the warped feeling. What the nether describes is essentially rebedding your brakes.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      09-29-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Do you do a lot of mountain driving? Do you tend to ride your brakes or do long slow braking? These things heat up the brakes and that can warp rotors, deposit more pad material on there and do other horrible things.

If you can DIY at all, I'd suggest removing the rotors and cleaning them good, look for pad deposits, if there are some, get some 80 grit sandpaper and clean all of that crap off and then rebed the brakes. And then stop being so smooth, brake later and harder.

Good luck.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      09-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
ahkwak
Rep

I don't do any mountain driving and am 90% on the freeway. So, I don't brake much to begin with.

honestly, my friends and i have all come to the conclusion that it isn't my driving that is causing the warpage but something wrong with the car itself. And my friends are part of the car industry, and we've taken it to multiple shops and dealerships to see if there is anything wrong with the car, but the results are always 5 stars.

I should note that the car vibrates when going above 70 mph. We've balanced every tire again and again, but still there's vibration. And now the brakes have warped once again, and is getting worse every time I drive it.

It feels like an endless money pit, but I so desperately love the car.
It's just a repair nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #11
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkwak View Post
I don't do any mountain driving and am 90% on the freeway. So, I don't brake much to begin with.

honestly, my friends and i have all come to the conclusion that it isn't my driving that is causing the warpage but something wrong with the car itself. And my friends are part of the car industry, and we've taken it to multiple shops and dealerships to see if there is anything wrong with the car, but the results are always 5 stars.

I should note that the car vibrates when going above 70 mph. We've balanced every tire again and again, but still there's vibration. And now the brakes have warped once again, and is getting worse every time I drive it.

It feels like an endless money pit, but I so desperately love the car.
It's just a repair nightmare.
not sure if its related, but somehow it might be as you are feeling a vibration.
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...512720&page=15
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #12
openside
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d touring

Hi, I went through all of this with an B7 Audi RS4 and it was not uncommon on the forum. The general consensus was that a warped mating face on the wheel will force the disc out of flat. Wheels can warp when they are refurbed in 2 ways: the heat or if the mating face gets powder coated.
      01-20-2023, 07:59 AM   #13
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

My 540i had warped rotors shortly after I bought it CPO. Dealer said the 5 series is known for soft rotors that end up warping. They shaved it flat. Now a year later they are starting to pulsate again. I'll likely go aftermarket for the rotors.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 02:30 PM   #14
spiderman1982
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550x Drive

I feel for you. I had a Cadillac ATS-V and I could not get rid of the pulsation. The rotors were GM, but were manufactured in China. The original rotors were probably not made in China. Chinese parts are not quality parts and I don't think they meet any of our car manufacturer's specifications. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you are not using aftermarket rotors and find out where they were made. Most car companies will give you 12 months of warranty on brakes. Who wants to be doing a brake job every 12 months on these cars? Not me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 04:58 PM   #15
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Rotors for the G30 come in two flavors: the two-piece OE ones with an aluminum hat riveted to a cast iron disk and aftermarket ones that are often a one-piece construction (no riveted hat) in which the entire rotor is machined from a single casting.

I seem to recall a thread on the F10 forum that claimed the two-piece rotors were prone to warping. Assuming that your rotors came from a BMW dealer they are likely two-piece ones. If you should replace them, you might consider one-piece aftermarket rotors. Since you're paying the freight on these replacements, just go to a decent mechanic who can do the entire job a lot cheaper. There is nothing magical about pad and rotor replacement requiring trained BMW techs.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #16
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I got similar problem with my G31. When I bought it second hand, the car came with a new rotors and pads (ATE). After cca. 6 month the car started pulsating when braking even though I am not a rough driver. In BMW they (surprisingly) told me this happens if I use other than original parts. Now, I am considering changing rotors and pads for Zimmermann (made in Germany) and we will see. Any other recommendation from someone who has been through this?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:05 PM   #17
jagyro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

This happened to me before when i was using old hawk pads(semi ceramic) back in the day and non slotted(when slotted i never had to do it again). as above. For me it was dust collected on my rotor then into the pad it went. If i was doing spirited driving it would permanently affect the rotor where i would have to get it turned unless i did the following. What I basically had to do was, after i started feeling the peddle pulse i would allow my brake to cool then do a couple hard stops, then a light push and hold while holding the gas for about 5-10 seconds. Then let my brakes cool for like 5 min(just light braking for stop signs, and what not)The pulse would go away after that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 03:40 PM   #18
Laz_Collazo
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 540i

Any luck? I’m having the same issue with my g30 ahkwak
Appreciate 0