BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

02-25-2024, 10:10 AM   #375
TomVH
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchstar-57 View Post
Hi, the quickwin solution is to use friction disc i only in the brake disc side, with perfect centering mounting, tigh by using cross pattern gradually until 140N, make sure that the contact surface are clean , wheel and hub face.
About The layer of tape is difficult to insert properly around spigot.
And finally the custom spacer are a vert good option too, i purchased it at superformat in uk (im from france) ORD-222038 and that’s the number of my order if you want to take the same dimensions
On top of that i recommand to use non rft tyre
Hello Frenchstar-57 , thank you for the reply.
Ok, i am going to order the friction discs:
- so i guess i need 4 of them ?
- Are there any installation instructions ?
- The cheapest i could find was here: https://www.baum-bmwshop24.de/bmw-re...e-34106884839/
- are there variations ? because they are not cheap and ordering a wrong one would be costly :-)

tape around spigot: do you have instructions ( pictures, video, ... ) how to do it ? I can at least try :-)

spacers: Do you have a link to the spacers you bought ?

The tires are non runflat tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 05:52 AM   #376
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 520d LIMOUSINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVH View Post
Hello Frenchstar-57 , thank you for the reply.
Ok, i am going to order the friction discs:
- so i guess i need 4 of them ?
- Are there any installation instructions ?
- The cheapest i could find was here: https://www.baum-bmwshop24.de/bmw-re...e-34106884839/
- are there variations ? because they are not cheap and ordering a wrong one would be costly :-)

tape around spigot: do you have instructions ( pictures, video, ... ) how to do it ? I can at least try :-)

spacers: Do you have a link to the spacers you bought ?

The tires are non runflat tires.
You can try tape around spigot, 0,1mm alu tape around spigot without overlap
And then install the wheel carefully using star pattern to tight gradually until 140N. If after that you notice improvement you can i think order the disc or the spacers

https://www.superforma.co.uk/
If you cannot notice any improvement check your rim ,tyre or brake disc
Runnout.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:00 AM   #377
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 530i Xdrive

Quote:
You can try tape around spigot, 0,1mm alu tape around spigot without overlap
And then install the wheel carefully using star pattern to tight gradually until 140N. If after that you notice improvement you can i think order the disc or the spacers

https://www.superforma.co.uk/
If you cannot notice any improvement check your rim ,tyre or brake disc
Runnout.
Hi,
I am trying to figure out a similar problem, it very much resembles these complaints around 120-130 km/h with two different tire brand and size
(18” Michelin all season and 19” Pirelli cinturato)

As I have it with two different tire/rim size and brands, I wonder if it is a bad coincidence or it is a problem not related to tires.

I also hear a pulsating humming noise with slight vibration on steering wheel. I mean, the humming sound is more dominant than the feeling of vibration.

The vibration app shows the frequency is the tire rotation speed. But the bearing and axle is also rotating at the same speed.

To seek the problem in right place; Anybody dealt or succeeded in this wheel centering problem also heard any pulsating humming noise at these speeds?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:42 AM   #378
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
Hi,
I am trying to figure out a similar problem, it very much resembles these complaints around 120-130 km/h with two different tire brand and size
(18” Michelin all season and 19” Pirelli cinturato)

As I have it with two different tire/rim size and brands, I wonder if it is a bad coincidence or it is a problem not related to tires.

I also hear a pulsating humming noise with slight vibration on steering wheel. I mean, the humming sound is more dominant than the feeling of vibration.

The vibration app shows the frequency is the tire rotation speed. But the bearing and axle is also rotating at the same speed.

To seek the problem in right place; Anybody dealt or succeeded in this wheel centering problem also heard any pulsating humming noise at these speeds?
For humming noise, you can try to replace anti theft bolt by a regular one
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 12:07 PM   #379
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
For humming noise, you can try to replace anti theft bolt by a regular one
It has been replaced already.
Was the vibration in your case happening in a continuous manner?
Mine is as if a wave, rising and going out once a second. So I try to figure out whether I am living the same source of a problem or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:29 PM   #380
britchris1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Quote:
Mine is as if a wave, rising and going out once a second. So I try to figure out whether I am living the same source of a problem or not.
This sounds exactly like my problem - '22 cpo with only 8k miles and I've only owned it a month.

I described it in the exact same way to the dealership - it's like a wave that I can feel in the pedals, wheel, and chair but it only happens above like 70mph. It's not constant.

So far they straightened 2 slightly bent rims and replaced 2 tires that were out of spec for force balance but zero impact it's exactly the same.

Everyone is stumped. Tomorrow I'm going back to the dealership and the shop foreman and service manager want to drive the car to try and figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:32 AM   #381
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by britchris1 View Post
This sounds exactly like my problem - '22 cpo with only 8k miles and I've only owned it a month.

I described it in the exact same way to the dealership - it's like a wave that I can feel in the pedals, wheel, and chair but it only happens above like 70mph. It's not constant.

So far they straightened 2 slightly bent rims and replaced 2 tires that were out of spec for force balance but zero impact it's exactly the same.

Everyone is stumped. Tomorrow I'm going back to the dealership and the shop foreman and service manager want to drive the car to try and figure it out.
Oh, finally a similar symptom. I hope your dealer will figure out.
Please keep us updated, I have been searching the cause but could not find anything up to now.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:12 AM   #382
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
It was continuous or random, but always beetween 120 and 140km/h
Based on my multiple test it was wheel related, experienced that with 3 set of different wheels.
That i can recommand is to use non rft tyre balanced with hunter road force
And use friction disc(with perfect clean and ce!tering mounting)or customer spacer, to prevent micro slipping due to the high tolerance of the wheel on the wheel hub
And finally never overinflate your tyre , it increase the road force.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:39 PM   #383
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
It was continuous or random, but always beetween 120 and 140km/h
Based on my multiple test it was wheel related, experienced that with 3 set of different wheels.
That i can recommand is to use non rft tyre balanced with hunter road force
And use friction disc(with perfect clean and ce!tering mounting)or customer spacer, to prevent micro slipping due to the high tolerance of the wheel on the wheel hub
And finally never overinflate your tyre , it increase the road force.
Thanks for the feedback, I will go through these steps.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:08 PM   #384
britchris1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Quote:
Oh, finally a similar symptom. I hope your dealer will figure out.
Please keep us updated, I have been searching the cause but could not find anything up to now.
Well that was a waste of time. Had the shop foreman drive the car for 30 minutes with me as passenger. He said he could feel exactly what I was talking about and said there was nothing he could do as it's normal for this chassis.

Only thing he suggested was to switch to non run flat tires like many others here have mentioned.

I even showed him this thread, he confirmed I'm not the first person to mention this problem to him and that it's something owners of this platform just have to get used to. He apologized profusely and said he wished he could offer me a fix.

Crazy that a car of this price has this kind of vibration and we are supposed to accept that it's "normal".
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:58 PM   #385
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by britchris1 View Post
Well that was a waste of time. Had the shop foreman drive the car for 30 minutes with me as passenger. He said he could feel exactly what I was talking about and said there was nothing he could do as it's normal for this chassis.

Only thing he suggested was to switch to non run flat tires like many others here have mentioned.

I even showed him this thread, he confirmed I'm not the first person to mention this problem to him and that it's something owners of this platform just have to get used to. He apologized profusely and said he wished he could offer me a fix.

Crazy that a car of this price has this kind of vibration and we are supposed to accept that it's "normal".
Totally agree, I live a total disappointment with the car.
The forum users are much more beneficial for finding solution considering the useless dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:45 PM   #386
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I had vibrations above 70mph and were present with both my winter and summer wheel setups. More so with the winter as my 759s have been bent and straightened a few times. After I replaced my cracked Guibo I would say 90% - 95% of said vibrations disappeared. This platform seems to be sensitive in that regard lots of people complain about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:10 PM   #387
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

My two F10's (previous 2012 and current 2014; both 535i's) and my current G30 (2019 540i) are smooth into the triple digits (in Mexico, of course!); no vibrations at all. That's on both ROF's & non-ROF's. IMHO, blaming the chassis is a cop-out. I thought I read somewhere that the solution was realigning the orientation of the front shocks. I could very well be wrong, and this was for a different car, so don't quote me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:36 PM   #388
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maDjzo View Post
I had vibrations above 70mph and were present with both my winter and summer wheel setups. More so with the winter as my 759s have been bent and straightened a few times. After I replaced my cracked Guibo I would say 90% - 95% of said vibrations disappeared. This platform seems to be sensitive in that regard lots of people complain about it.
Was the vibration continuous or wavy like coming and disappearing periodically?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:37 PM   #389
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Was the vibration continuous or wavy like coming and disappearing periodically?
Constant, worse under acceleration.
Appreciate 0