BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2018 540i MPE Questions

02-05-2022, 02:11 AM   #1
jp0451
Rep
Drives: G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Smile 2018 540i MPE Questions

Hi everyone,

Recently, I've been thinking of getting the MPE for my 540i.
The question is, if I only get the muffler (18-30-2-431-035), would it work with the stock M sport tips and diffuser?
I've only seen guys running the MPE tips with m550i diffuser.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0451 View Post
The question is, if I only get the muffler (18-30-2-431-035), would it work with the stock M sport tips and diffuser?
My question to you is why?

Seems like you are cutting corners to save a few bucks but for what reason? There will be no aesthetic benefit and only a slight sound benefit.

If the goal is saving money and you don't mind cutting corners, just cut out the resonator in your midpipe and put in a piece of straight pipe. You will get the extra sound for a fraction of the cost of the muffler.

You could also just tune the valves on your exhaust to stay open all the time. The MPE removes those valves so it's also a cheaper alternative to a new muffler. The tune can also include a burble aspect that I've always found with the MPE.

Both options will give you more sound at a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

As far as I knew, the MPE only came with two tip options (carbon or steel). If you're referring to the normal 540 exhaust (MSport), the tips are welded to the exhaust can. The pipe diameter from the exhaust outlet is different as well, so you'd have to do some crafty cutting and welding to get the smaller outlets fitted, but I guess nothing is impossible. I'd definitely go with the MPE tips. They look so much better than the stock versions.
      02-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
As far as I knew, the MPE only came with two tip options (carbon or steel). If you're referring to the normal 540 exhaust (MSport), the tips are welded to the exhaust can. The pipe diameter from the exhaust outlet is different as well, so you'd have to do some crafty cutting and welding to get the smaller outlets fitted, but I guess nothing is impossible. I'd definitely go with the MPE tips. They look so much better than the stock versions.
+1 for this except they used to either come with chrome or CF tips. The chrome is discontinued so your only choice for MP tip is CF rn.

You're gonna have to get new tips one way or another with MP exhaust. I personally did MPPSK over MPE. It includes tune, MPE and torque converter. The car shifts amazingly.

I'd say if you'd wanna do anything different, I would get a set dual tips done by a proper shop over the MP tips. They can make it work with the current diffuser and way cheaper than the MP tip. Even you can opt in for a M5 diffuser with that. MP tips won't fit the M5 diffuser.

Just an FYI, any tunes with extra burps means more fuel in your exhaust side which is equal to more heat in DP. Unless you're getting a highflow or catless downpipe, I wouldn't add any pops and bangs with a tune. Any loader exhaust is the safest for you and long lasting for your engine.
Appreciate 0