BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions 550i oil filter change

02-21-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

550i oil filter change

For my N63TU3 engine, if I pull the oil filter without first draining the engine oil, how much oil will come out? Looks like I messed up my last oil change since I have a small oil leak from the filter. I'd rather not drain all of the oil if I can help it due to the risk of it getting dirty.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
shadogt
Registered
Rep
Drives: '23 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
For my N63TU3 engine, if I pull the oil filter without first draining the engine oil, how much oil will come out? Looks like I messed up my last oil change since I have a small oil leak from the filter. I'd rather not drain all of the oil if I can help it due to the risk of it getting dirty.
You did it yourself, right? So you saw that you had to remove the pan plug, the housing plug, and the housing, in order to get to the canister. I don't think the housing sits high enough to prevent losing nearly all your oil..

But you posted almost a month ago. Any update on how much was lost?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadogt View Post
You did it yourself, right? So you saw that you had to remove the pan plug, the housing plug, and the housing, in order to get to the canister. I don't think the housing sits high enough to prevent losing nearly all your oil..

But you posted almost a month ago. Any update on how much was lost?
Thanks for your reply. I've been monitoring the oil level closely but it doesn't look like it is actually a leak. Turns out I poured too quickly and spilled a small amount of oil while filling the crankcase. It apparently took a few days to drip out, as fate would have it, along the outside of the oil filter housing. I've been checking the filter housing for oil and monitoring the oil level in real time using BimmerLink. It's not falling so my confidence is pretty high now that there isn't a leak after all.
Appreciate 0