BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Is it easier to install a 3 piece or 1 piece lip?

03-25-2024, 05:50 PM   #1
hatch-2810
Rep
Drives: 2021 530e Phytonic Blue

Is it easier to install a 3 piece or 1 piece lip?

I am reasonably handy at working on my car and not really worried about drilling. That said, I also haven't ever installed body kits before and every parts vendor says "professional installation recommended".

I'm still going to DIY (first time for everything) but wondering if a 3 piece or 1 piece is easier.

I can imagine that a 1 piece is easier because everything stays aligned, but I also forsee that it could be more difficult because you have both sides you need to manipulate at the same time.

I'd guess that a 3 piece is easier to align each component to the edge, but then makes me wonder if it's also harder to get the third piece to line up.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:05 PM   #2
imitenotbecrazy
Rep
Drives: 540i

my experience with 1 piece lips, skirt extensions, etc has been very easy. with the bumper off, peeling back a small cover section of double sided tape at the corners to "tack" it in place helps. make any adjustments as you need and then peel the cover back while the lip is still against the bumper. it'll look like you're pulling a length of string from between the lip and bumper. keeps it all in place as you remove the cover and the double sided tape sticks to the bumper. a couple passes of pressure once all the covering is off the tape and it's good to drill/bolt together. prep with IPA (for the bumper and yourself) prior to taping
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2024, 09:38 PM   #3
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
I had installed a gloss black 3 piece from eBay. Really wanted gloss black OEM but they only make in carbon fiber. The 3 piece I got had predrilled holes that line up with OEM holes on the underside of the bumper, which worked out perfectly because I did not want to drill more holes into my bumper. I just had to drill 2 holes in the middle. Any way fitment is fine, requires a bit of manipulation tho but the predrilled holes sold me. Lmk if you have any questions
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-06-2024, 11:13 PM   #4
lordknows.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyboiswagg View Post
I had installed a gloss black 3 piece from eBay. Really wanted gloss black OEM but they only make in carbon fiber. The 3 piece I got had predrilled holes that line up with OEM holes on the underside of the bumper, which worked out perfectly because I did not want to drill more holes into my bumper. I just had to drill 2 holes in the middle. Any way fitment is fine, requires a bit of manipulation tho but the predrilled holes sold me. Lmk if you have any questions
Looks nice, I have a 3 piece waiting to be installed. Did you have to remove any of the parts under the front bumper(underbody skid/air guide) to install?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 05:08 PM   #5
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
Yea so I removed the rockshield thing underneath idk what it’s called, and removed the underbody shields in the front. Super straight forward, they are just clips. I found the easiest and safest way to install aero parts are with bolts with LOCK NUTS/U-Nuts. Everything reattached perfectly too
Appreciate 1