BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2017 530i - 'jolt' at startup when cold

10-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #1
Funk
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530i SE

2017 530i - 'jolt' at startup when cold

Have noticed that the car seems to give an alarming 'jolt' when started from cold - some Googling reveals threads saying similar although it seems those are potentially more related to gearbox and I couldn't find anything relating specifically to the G30/530i - and to be honest it feels more 'engine' related than transmission. Is this something others have noticed? Is it typical/normal?

I'm just a little concerned it's putting quite the jolt through the engine as it feels quite severe - almost diesel-like in fact.

I've not had the car long or driven it far but I can't say I've noticed it doing in when warmed up and stop/start kicks in for example. The car is BMW Approved Used so if it's something it shouldn't be doing I'll get it booked in with them to be looked at under the AUC warranty.

Last edited by Funk; 10-24-2022 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
Funk
Rep

The supplying dealer are taking a look at the car next week for me regarding the jolt. It may well be normal but I'd feel better having it checked.

The car's blotted its copybook a little this week; I hadn't driven it for a while (enjoying the last of my time with my 840i GC) so decided to give it a run on Weds. Started up only to be greeted with a low coolant warning. What is it with BMWs and bloody coolant...!

Stopped on the way in to the office and grabbed some coolant to top up with before driving home and when the engine was cold. It was indeed low. That raises a concern though; either the coolant wasn't checked as part of the AUC process before being sold to me....or it was, but it has a leak that's significant enough to bring the warning message up within a fortnight. Either option isn't ideal. It's also impossible to check for loss what with all the rain; anything leaking will be washed away immediately.

Suffice to say I've told the dealer that needs looking at as well under their warranty. Not the greatest initial experience with the car to be honest!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:27 AM   #3
iwantotlearn
Private
Rep
Drives: 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk View Post
Stopped on the way in to the office and grabbed some coolant to top up with before driving home and when the engine was cold. It was indeed low. That raises a concern though; either the coolant wasn't checked as part of the AUC process before being sold to me....or it was, but it has a leak that's significant enough to bring the warning message up within a fortnight. Either option isn't ideal. It's also impossible to check for loss what with all the rain; anything leaking will be washed away immediately.
Had the same issue with coolant. Car under warranty, they had to change the heat management module and also do an engine oil change wich I had to pay for.
Just to make me understood the engine oil was part of the heat management module change and was not covered by warranty (the previous oil change was 4k km before)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:50 AM   #4
Funk
Rep

Interesting, thanks for that info. The car's with the dealer right now (dropped it in last night so they have it for cold start this morning). Be interesting to see what they say; if they come back with nothing I'll mention the heart management module to them just in case. I'll look up what that module does; were there any other symptoms from it failing?

AIUI, they did an oil change just prior to the purchase so that'd be irritating to have to pay for one now on top.

Brakes are squealing too so I've asked them to let me know the state of the pads and discs. If those need doing that'll fall to me as a wear and tear item I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:56 AM   #5
iwantotlearn
Private
Rep
Drives: 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk View Post
I'll look up what that module does; were there any other symptoms from it failing?

AIUI, they did an oil change just prior to the purchase so that'd be irritating to have to pay for one now on top.

There was no other symptom. I was loosing coolant and took the car to the dealer 2 times before and they said they found nothig until the 3rd time when they issued the heat management module.

The oil change was quite irritating for me too but nothing to do about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:30 AM   #6
Funk
Rep

Thanks for the info, at least it gives me something else to ask them if it happens again in future (and assuming they find nothing today).

I don't think the coolant's dropped since I topped it off last week although it's difficult to tell just by peering down the filler neck. It's certainly not back down to where it was when it popped the warning up.

Hoping they identify the cold-start jolt as well; I mentioned when I dropped it off that it'll only do it the first 2-3 times from cold, once it's warmed up it doesn't seem to do it. I don't know if it's just characteristic of the 4-cyl engine but both the 530i and the '22 plate 320i courtesy car seem to 'shudder' back into life from stop-start in a way other cars don't; it's almost diesel-like. The last 4-cyl I had was a Golf R and that was almost imperceptible during stop-start operation. My 840i is really smooth too but then it's the B58 6-cyl so not really comparable.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:24 AM   #7
Funk
Rep

Update from the dealer; the jolt is worn engine mounts - they're going to try and have them replaced today (presume under warranty as payment wasn't mentioned). They pressure-tested the coolant system and there doesn't appear to be any leaks or evidence of one such as coolant on the undertrays etc. The service advisor guy said these engines are known to use a little though, and if it keeps rinsing through it every few weeks to book it in again and they'll re-investigate.

Brakes and pads are also fine they said; perhaps it just needs some decent stops from a slightly higher speed to give them a clean or get some heat into them as I'm really only trundling to and from work in a 30mph limit (and usually achieving an average of 10-15mph in rush-hour traffic).

All very reasonable really and I'm glad I wasn't just imagining the start-up jolt.

Edit: they need to keep it into tomorrow - apparently it's a 5-hour job...!

Last edited by Funk; 11-11-2022 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #8
Funk
Rep

Picked up the car this afternoon and it's so much better - the startup jolt has gone and the whole thing feels even smoother to drive which is great.
Appreciate 0