BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Retrofit Harmon Kardon speakers upgrade

01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Retrofit Harmon Kardon speakers upgrade

I’ve managed to get hold of a used Harmon Kardon speaker system without the wiring loom.

The kit comprises of :
2 subs
6 mids
6 tweeters (incl. 2 door mounts)
1 front centre dashboard with clip on
1 amp

I’ve done a bit of digging around for the wiring loom For the g30 base system(without the tweeters) on my 530e and was advised that hypothetically the wiring loom used on the f10 and f30 should work on the 530e. So I ordered one and will be retro fitting it.

I am also looking into coding so will need guidance from you experienced members before I have someone install the kit.

09.02.19 I have received the H&K speaker and amp set and I have ordered the wiring loom for the f10/f30 which includes the MOST cable, awaiting delivery in around 1-2weeks

Last edited by Farravi; 02-09-2019 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE G30 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farravi View Post
I’ve managed to get hold of a used Harmon Kardon speaker system without the wiring loom.

The kit comprises of :
2 subs
6 mids
6 tweeters (incl. 2 door mounts)
1 front centre dashboard with clip on
1 amp

I’ve done a bit of digging around for the wiring loom For the g30 base system(without the tweeters) on my 530e and was advised that hypothetically the wiring loom used on the f10 and f30 should work on the 530e. So I ordered one and will be retro fitting it.

I am also looking into coding so will need guidance from you experienced members before I have someone install the kit.

09.02.19 I have received the H&K speaker and amp set and I have ordered the wiring loom for the f10/f30 which includes the MOST cable, awaiting delivery in around 1-2weeks
Wow, that's going to be an interesting project, I assume you will need to get to the back of the head unit to get a feed out to the Harmon amplifier, then run new wiring? Or is there already a wiring feed from the head unit to the rear load area where the amp will be fitted?

Either way good luck, should be a nice upgrade.

I also have the base system and I have just purchased some Eton B 100 W components speakers to fit in the front to help improve things a bit. Just need to pick up the tweeter covers from BMW then I have all I need to do it, except the time!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Funny that your trying to put in a HK speaker system while everyone is trying to take them out for something else. What is your current system? Does it have a amp in the trunk?
      03-01-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1 View Post
Wow, that's going to be an interesting project, I assume you will need to get to the back of the head unit to get a feed out to the Harmon amplifier, then run new wiring? Or is there already a wiring feed from the head unit to the rear load area where the amp will be fitted?

I also have the base system and I have just purchased some Eton B 100 W components speakers to fit in the front to help improve things a bit. Just need to pick up the tweeter covers from BMW then I have all I need to do it, except the time!!
That will be a massive upgrade. I had the base system as well, but fitted HK speakers instead (Two tweeters in the rear, two in the front and the four midranges). Now the sound is crisp and clear, very much unlike the base-crap system.
      03-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
That will be a massive upgrade. I had the base system as well, but fitted HK speakers instead (Two tweeters in the rear, two in the front and the four midranges). Now the sound is crisp and clear, very much unlike the base-crap system.
Hi GaSelle,

As it happens, I collected my tweeter covers from BMW this morning and as the weather was nice and I had a cancelled appointment, I decided to change the speakers this afternoon. Expected to only get one door done today but it was far easier than expected and had both installed successfully within 2 hours!

You are right, there is a marked improvement in clarity and air with the Etons in the front, I am very pleased with the results.

I hadn't considered changing the rear shelf speakers as I didn't think there would be much audible difference from the drivers seat. Did you try the front upgrade first then try the rears separately to see if they were worth doing, or did you just change everything in one go?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #6
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

I swapped them all in one go; the ones in the parcel shelf are quite easy too. The only "hard" part is to get the grills removed without doing any damage to them.
      03-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I swapped them all in one go; the ones in the parcel shelf are quite easy too. The only "hard" part is to get the grills removed without doing any damage to them.
Ok thanks. I may well swap the rears too at some point; I popped a rear cover off earlier today to have a look and it looks really easy - that hardest part, as you say, is gently prising the cover off to do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:51 AM   #8
xzyt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Quote:

I have the base system on my G30 as well. I'm really disappointed in the audio quality... I was surprised that a premium brand as BMW can deliver a car with such a poor audio system.

I'm happy to read that you have the same audio system...

However, I'm planning to upgrade my car with the Eton B100W front speakers and the Eton B100XCN center speaker, but do I have to install an amplifier? Or can I just replace the speakers with Etons? Of course I have to buy the tweeter cover somewhere but I want to be sure that they will work on my base audio system without installing an amplifier. Do I need something some special wires or all they all included in the Eton package?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Funny that your trying to put in a HK speaker system while everyone is trying to take them out for something else. What is your current system? Does it have a amp in the trunk?
I miss my bang olufson system and I have the HK in new car.
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzyt View Post
Quote:

I have the base system on my G30 as well. I'm really disappointed in the audio quality... I was surprised that a premium brand as BMW can deliver a car with such a poor audio system.

I'm happy to read that you have the same audio system...

However, I'm planning to upgrade my car with the Eton B100W front speakers and the Eton B100XCN center speaker, but do I have to install an amplifier? Or can I just replace the speakers with Etons? Of course I have to buy the tweeter cover somewhere but I want to be sure that they will work on my base audio system without installing an amplifier. Do I need something some special wires or all they all included in the Eton package?

Thank you!
Great question...

I am interested also...
      05-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, and sorry for the delay in reply, I don't get on here very often!

Yes, you can upgrade the fronts with the Eton component speakers at the front (B100W) and you have the option of two different types for the rear I believe... a search on the Eton website will tell you which ones you can choose.

You can simply replace the speakers without having to add an amplifier.

As for the front centre speaker... if you have the base system (ie. no tweeter covers near the internal area around the door mirrors), then you do not have a separate amplifer and you do not have a centre speaker. There are simply two front door speakers, two small subs under each front seat and two rear shelf or ceiling speakers (G30/G31).

I have only replaced the fronts with the B100W's and that is a nice worthwhile upgrade. To get any better than simply replacing the front door and rear shelf speakers will get complicated and expensive, as you will have to fit a dedicated amplifier. The amplifier you currently have is not a separate unit; it is integral to the head unit in the dash board.

For the money, the B100w is a good upgrade, but you will need to get some tweeter grill covers from you BMW dealer so you can fit the tweeters. Have a look at the Bavsound G30 installation video; it tells you everything you need to know.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
xzyt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Quote:
Hi, and sorry for the delay in reply, I don't get on here very often!

Yes, you can upgrade the fronts with the Eton component speakers at the front (B100W) and you have the option of two different types for the rear I believe... a search on the Eton website will tell you which ones you can choose.

You can simply replace the speakers without having to add an amplifier.

As for the front centre speaker... if you have the base system (ie. no tweeter covers near the internal area around the door mirrors), then you do not have a separate amplifer and you do not have a centre speaker. There are simply two front door speakers, two small subs under each front seat and two rear shelf or ceiling speakers (G30/G31).

I have only replaced the fronts with the B100W's and that is a nice worthwhile upgrade. To get any better than simply replacing the front door and rear shelf speakers will get complicated and expensive, as you will have to fit a dedicated amplifier. The amplifier you currently have is not a separate unit; it is integral to the head unit in the dash board.

For the money, the B100w is a good upgrade, but you will need to get some tweeter grill covers from you BMW dealer so you can fit the tweeters. Have a look at the Bavsound G30 installation video; it tells you everything you need to know.

Good luck.
Thank you for replying! Have you installed the B100XHP passive crossover as well? I've contacted Eton with the same question, if it's feasible to connect the front door speakers without installing an amp, and they replied that I have to install the B100XHP as well. This filter should filter the bass signal out of the audio signal. I'm not really convinced that it's required.

https://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/product...uct/b-100-xhp/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep

I went away for 4.5 months traveling and just got back. I'm itching to get this system in and the idea is to keep it as oem as possible with minor tweaks of course for optimal results.

I've contacted my vehicle sound engineer and he is going away for a few weeks and once he gets back then I should be able to book him in.

I also bought the wiring loom needed to connect the system which will run from the head unit (dashboard) all the back to the new H&K Amp as the base system has no dedicated Amp hence the need for the hiring loom to connect all the speakers and the new Amp.

This will require some work and I suspect a day and a half minimum.

I'm also considering getting sound insulation shields on the doors and under the car seat woofers.

I'll be sure to post pics when the project starts.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
mhsmith1911
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Great thread about speakers. There should have been a sub-woofer in the rear shelf behind the back seats. I'd love to add a HK sub-woofer there. Would you have to update the car software for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. The OP is in the UK and I believe their base system is a lot less than that in the US. So an upgrade to an HK system is a major upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. The OP is in the UK and I believe their base system is a lot less than that in the US. So an upgrade to an HK system is a major upgrade.
Exactly. As mentioned further above, what you refer to as "base" must be what we call "Hifi". EU Base is two full tone speakers in the front doors, two in the back and two underseat subs. No external amp.

Hifi, which is optional, adds tweeters, external amplifier etc.
      10-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went away for 4.5 months traveling and just got back. I'm itching to get this system in and the idea is to keep it as oem as possible with minor tweaks of course for optimal results.

I've contacted my vehicle sound engineer and he is going away for a few weeks and once he gets back then I should be able to book him in.

I also bought the wiring loom needed to connect the system which will run from the head unit (dashboard) all the back to the new H&K Amp as the base system has no dedicated Amp hence the need for the hiring loom to connect all the speakers and the new Amp.

I'm also considering getting sound insulation shields on the doors and under the car seat woofers.

Where did you source the wiring loom needed for the "full" HK upgrade?
      10-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #18
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Where did you source the wiring loom needed for the "full" HK upgrade?
I've got a friend who works in Auto Audio installations and he ordered it for me. As it happens I bought two in the event I accidentally make an error. Providing the first one goes alright, I'll sell off the 2nd set. I've just not had the opportunity but as soon as I do I will update this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #19
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep

I have been meaning to start this install and after installing the WiFi antenna/ WLAN aerial a few days ago.

I was feeling confident after that install so I embarked on starting the upgrade my BMW Basic audio system (6 speakers) to the Harman Kardon audio system (15 speaker + AMP) that I bought second hand earlier this year starting with the driver side front door and began to pull the door apart.

I found the clips holding the door weren't as strong as I hoped and some broke off whilst pulling the door off.

The tweeter cable is was not only too short but there was no connection on the wiring loom for inserting the tweeter cable, unlike some of the videos on g30 audio upgrades, I suspect it has something to do with the basic UK / European models vs the Asian and North American models which have start with the Hifi system (door tweeters).

I ended up having to modify the tweeter cable and cut into the stainless steel cables and attach some old BMW wiring (copper alloy) on both ends by soldering it on covered by heat shrink tube. (I'll see if I can take some pictures)

The original cable connector would then clip onto the mid speakers on the door.

The other issue I had was though the seller on fleabay advertised as a g30 compatible kit, the tweeter covers are not even though they look very similar.

I did manage to swap the old Mids with the HK mids which were held with 3 torque screws.

I'll update this thread as I progress.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I've hit another snag.

The rear doors, not realising, don't have the speaker cut outs (H&K and B&W setup have mids and tweeters embedded into the door cards) so I'll have to either find a leather specialist who will cut into the door cards or I may have to source door cards with speaker cut outs.

I'm also inclined to think that the rear doors won't have the wiring loom either.

I will attempt to swap the parcel shelf speakers, easy enough you think but just getting one of the headrest off to get clear access to the speaker covers was hard enough, using the plastic pry tools I tried the covers but left it for another occasion with daylight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #21
simo9
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d msport

Quote:
Well I've hit another snag.

The rear doors, not realising, don't have the speaker cut outs (H&K and B&W setup have mids and tweeters embedded into the door cards) so I'll have to either find a leather specialist who will cut into the door cards or I may have to source door cards with speaker cut outs.

I'm also inclined to think that the rear doors won't have the wiring loom either.

I will attempt to swap the parcel shelf speakers, easy enough you think but just getting one of the headrest off to get clear access to the speaker covers was hard enough, using the plastic pry tools I tried the covers but left it for another occasion with daylight.

Did you finish upgrade ???
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep

Apologies everyone, I did finish the upgrade finally (well partially).

It's been a crazy year, I think we can all agree.

I found an expert modder who does all sort of mods to bmws and arranged for him to remotely check via my laptop if whether I had the MOST system from factory which saved us alot of time and labour.

We decided to meet up for the installation near his house which is about a 2 hour drive from London which is where I'm based.

I supplied most of the parts, including the harness I sourced was the right one which was a relief.

One of the parts missing was the centre dashboard speaker cover which is required for a complete sound and I found one off fleabay and have yet to install. The speaker and tweeter is sitting underneath but not physically connected to the system.

The kit advertised as HK system for g30 that I bought, was also advertised for other models and when it came around fitting, soon realised that there were many parts missing/incompatible.

These are as follows :

1 x Amp bracket £20 new from Bmw

1 x Centre dashboard speaker cover £20 off fleabay £50 new

3 x 4" (smaller sized) mids, 2 x for the rear parcel shelf and 1 x for the center dashboard

2 x rear door cards (left and right side) with speaker covers £30 each second hand from fleabay vs £600 new from Bmw not to mentioned 2 weeks wait

2 x rear parcel shelf tweeters £50 each

I bought second hand door cards from fleabay which had the same colour as well as the stitching as mine with the speaker covers, one for the mids and one for the tweeter which sits right next to the door handle.

We started off at the boot, took out all the trimming to access the amplifier which would sit on the left side below the shelf.

Once the amplifier was installed, the loom then had to be run from the amp to the invidual speakers and this meant taking most of the seats and centre pillar trimmings off and running it to feed the speakers on the front doors and finally to the head unit (iDrive) and the centre speaker.

Seeing I didn't have the smaller sized mids nor the rear parcel shelf tweeters which are not the generic ones, it was a partial setup.

Once this was installed, and the various speakers on the door cards as well as the subs under the front seats, the car was then coded for the HK SYSTEM by our expert.

I have yet to install the central speakers nor have I come round to installing the rear parcel shelf mids and tweeters which have arrived.

The difference in sound is phenomenal. The comparison betwen the basic setup to the HK is like night and day. It really is such a pleasure for short and long journeys for me.

After new years I will be selling some off the unwanted parts and also order the trim that sits above the amp as the standard one does not accommodate the Amplifier.

I have a few mids, tweeters and an extra complete harness if anyone wants.

I also have some standard door cards for the g30 like new.

I will add photos/videos of the various bits to this post once I get a chance.
Appreciate 0