BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads My Irish 540ix progress thread

06-10-2022, 05:49 PM   #67
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

I had no drone before with just the VRSF sports cat and MST intake. I fitted all this stuff myself so I may have messed something up! But the combination of sports cat, stock mid pipe and remus axle back gives me some drone
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      06-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #68
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I had no drone before with just the VRSF sports cat and MST intake. I fitted all this stuff myself so I may have messed something up! But the combination of sports cat, stock mid pipe and remus axle back gives me some drone
Got it. Well keep us in the loop when you have time - this is one of my favorite threads on here! Thanks for keeping it up

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #69
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Ok so update on the car. I've an annoying drone from the exhaust setup. While crushing at about 120kmh 1.5k revs.

I had a good 880km trip over the last long weekend to Donegal, it was annoying. I need to check it for leaks or rubbing off something and make sure the valve is closing fully. Someone said the angle/location of the tips can add to drone/noise

I've removed the MST intake to see what that does to the sound, it's quietened down the intake exhaust noises and probably a bit smoother coming on boost and you can heat the exhaust noises better coming on boost etc.

I added some sound deadening material to the trunk space but it didn't help much.

No ethanol at the pump here but over ordered 200 liters to start running the e30 blend tunes so looking forward to some good fueling. 95 ron over here is so bad!

I have still not been able to find a flex fuel kit for the G30, promised by a few suppliers in the next month
Oh no! Hope you get to the bottom of the issue bud.

I have the same axel back on order which should be here end of the month or early July, but I'm anticipating more delays.

Our setups are quite similar so will let you know as soon as it's fitted and I've done a few highspeed runs. My resonator has been modified (made less restrictive) so it will be interesting to see what happens with all that. Do you think these axel backs are more geared for the stock downpipes rather then sports cats and catless DPs

Look forward to hearing about how you get on with E30

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black

Last edited by Junebug85; 06-11-2022 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #70
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Oh no! Hope you get to the bottom of the issue bud.

I have the same axel back on order which should be here end of the month or early July, but I'm anticipating more delays.

Our setups are quite similar so will let you know as soon as it's fitted and I've done a few highspeed runs. My resonator has been modified (made less restrictive) so it will be interesting to see what happens with all that. Do you think these axel backs are more geared for the stock downpipes rather then sports cats and catless DPs

Look forward to hearing about how you get on with E30
I've lost access to the free use of a car lift so I need to get the car up and inspect the system fully. It could just be combination of VRSF sports cat , stock mid pipe and Remus axle back. Maybe I'll get the Remus mid pipe to see what changes with that fitted. The drone isn't that bad and most of my mileage is short 15-20km trips so not too bad, it was just a bit annoying on occasion on a long motor way spin. It still sounds epic on full boost etc so I'll just leave it on.

Hopefully yours is ok. What tips did you opt for? There is a lot of adjustment on them for angle and poke etc which might also affect drone and tone..

E30 map is being tested it in a few days. Bring on the boost!

Last edited by buddyboy; 06-15-2022 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      06-19-2022, 06:07 PM   #71
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've lost access to the free use of a car lift so I need to get the car up and inspect the system fully. It could just be combination of VRSF sports cat , stock mid pipe and Remus axle back. Maybe I'll get the Remus mid pipe to see what changes with that fitted. The drone isn't that bad and most of my mileage is short 15-20km trips so not too bad, it was just a bit annoying on occasion on a long motor way spin. It still sounds epic on full boost etc so I'll just leave it on.

Hopefully yours is ok. What tips did you opt for? There is a lot of adjustment on them for angle and poke etc which might also affect drone and tone..

E30 map is being tested it in a few days. Bring on the boost!
Went for the same ones as you. I think they look better then the rolled ones as they give that more aggressive look. Would of been nice if they were black but gives that contrast against the diffuser.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #72
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not much to update, having fun running some ethanol mixes, and testing the cars performance against some friends cars and some Dragy numbers.

The garage queens do be out for the summer months ,some nice JDM icons in the group

Some nice B58 hatches:

Some M4's

Meth powered WRX wagon

and an e60 m5 with manual conversion

I got some up to date Dragy numbers, hard to get a good 100-200kmh, i only have a 10.2 corrected one on 98 ron map, none for e30 yet

Good 0-100kmh for a 5er!

Ill be ordering up the MHD flex fuel kit from bimecu.com this month as there is no EU suppliers yet.

Ive also narrowed down the turbo upgrade to Turbosystems stage 2+ turbo or possibly the new Pure 800 cast turbo option, just gathering info on both options to see which route is best

Last edited by buddyboy; 07-26-2022 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #73
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Great selection of cars there!

Very good 0-60mph time! Looking forward to what you get when you run various blends.

I'm liking the sound of the new Pure 800! It spools quicker then the original one and I like the fact there is no core charge, so you get to keep your stock turbo too (the cost of the cast one is a little bit more then the original one for this reason I'm guessing)

Not sure if you seen this video on YT about the turbo...

Appreciate 1
buddyboy265.00
      08-01-2022, 05:23 PM   #74
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Quote:
Not much to update, having fun running some ethanol mixes, and testing the cars performance against some friends cars and some Dragy numbers.

The garage queens do be out for the summer months ,some nice JDM icons in the group

Nice cars! Looks like a lot of fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #75
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

No picture updates today, but after much peer pressure and name calling and abuse from my fellow car "friends" I've decided to keep going with the 540i project and push it up a notch. Some of them told me not to pump any more money into it and "buy a real M car", others said its fine as it is and a few said keep going and make the most of it!
I decided to listen to the latter few friends and bump the performance up some more
So on this week i've ordered:

MHD Tuning flex fuel kit from Bimecu solutions in US - there is still no EU supplier availability yet and i got sick of waiting

From Pureturbos.eu i ordered:
Pure 800 cast Turbo - the latest offering from them for the B58, it's a complete turbo so no need for exchange anymore, it's supposed to spool quicker and a bit more top end too
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP - required for running ethanol blends with the new turboFTP charge pipe - so my plastic one does not fail on me with all the extra powah

Ill add a fresh set of coilpacks and plugs and buy a bank of injectors to have spare incase there is any issues during tuning
Transmission, transfer case and rear diff services too before to have the car as healthy as possible. Ill add some pictures of the install as the new parts are going in. Im trying to get a dyno run of the current power levels and will do the same after tuning .I'm Aiming for 550-600bhp± on e30 fueling

All parts should be arrive in the next week hopefully so then i can start planning the install and tuning schedule etc, i update as i progress with things

Last edited by buddyboy; 08-10-2022 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
NGT25617.50
Sedoy680.00
      08-19-2022, 05:31 PM   #76
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

The first piece of the puzzle arrived last week, the MHD CAN flex fuel kit

No time was wasted and I got it fitted, the great thing about this kit is that it all installs in the engine bay, no need to run wiring into the cabin or mount sensors into the fuel tank.

The kit comes with no instructions, the various Youtube videos will give you the general idea of what's involved, but they are for the F series, so there are some slight differences for the G series.

The main issue i found is the length of the engine bay and need to access the very rear center of it, its awkward to say the least! Im 6ft 4" and still had issues reaching back there!

The kit was all fitted in about 2 hours. If i have time again, i will circle back and include more detailed info for the G series install, if it would be of use to anyone.

I also received delivery of my next batch of mods this week, to squeeze some more ponies from the b58 and give my m3/m4 buddies a run for their money!

Pure 800 new cast turbo option, with turbo fitting kit

Dorch stage 2 hpfp

FTP charge pipe

Fitting starts next weekend hopefully and then some tuning to get it dialled in on a good e30 mix
Appreciate 3
peteinpa396.00
Sedoy680.00
      09-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #77
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've had a busy last week or so, I managed to get the Pure 800 cast turbo fitted(First RHD attempt i think) along with the Dorch Engineering stage 2 HPFP, a fresh set of NGK 94201 plugs and FTP charge pipe. I chipped away at it over a weekend and few evenings at home on the driveway, on a set of Rhino Ramps, not an ideal setup, but i made it work

Armed with access to the ISTA removal procedures, a wealth of Youtube install video knowledge and a good familiarity with the B58 setup, I got stuck in. The main problem I found was the fact that mine is an RHD model and has a big fat steering rack in the way! all the ISTA procedures refer to LHD setup. Being also xdrive did not help the situation in terms of access from below.

Annoying moments during the install to note :
Turbo lower bracket bolt removal - rusty bolt, lots of heat cycles, Lots of various extension arms/swivel joints/small child like hands, will help you here, have a replacement on hand for the new turbo

To get it out rear coolant line spring clamp and securing mount, its only accessible by touch or feel, unless you are a contortionist, downpipe removal would have made it a bit easier to access. Useful tip here, leave both coolant caps on fully to minimize coolant loss.

Transferring wastegate actuator to new turbo - my new turbo unfortunately wasn't clocked to the right position, i had trouble securing the wastegate arm onto the turbo, and then aligning the 4 bolts at the front easily. it was throwing "actuator forced shut" codes on first start up as it couldn't move freely. I had to slightly clock it away from the engine as advised by PureTurbos by about 10mm to get things aligned

Turbo mounting - I left the downpipe connected to the cat back as I've seen on various Youtube videos , you can loosen the 2 13 mm copper nuts enough to give it some wiggle room as it can move on the flex joint. Another problem was not removing the turbo bracket from the block. It takes a lot of patience to fit the turbo onto the block and then refit the bracket from the top or underside

Turbocharger additive - make sure you get some from BMW or Liqui Moly and squirt some into the oil line port, just to protect the turbo on that initial start

G series differences: The low pressure fuel line setup is different(right angled connector vs straight on the 1-4 series) , Pure turbos intake elbow is a different angle to oem which throws things out of alignment a bit , its fat and chunky and rubs on the FTP charge pipe, not ideal. also it didnt fit with the standard air intake pipe and needed a lot of wrangling to fit with my MST intake( flip the silicone coupler) , the only one confirmed to work is the BMS intake, but I got it all back together after a few bruised knuckles

There is some clearance issues with the DS2 pump fiitted so you need to notch the engine cover to get the fuel line to not run on the left side, the trust Dremel to the rescue

And this bracket at the back of the rocker cover to secure the new fuel just doesnt fit

Everything back together, hardly noticeable what lies beneath....

Out for a few test drives before giving boost and onto the tuning.

I decided to go with Fabian@Pureboost.de for tuning, he was very responsive over email, even before I bought the remote tune package from him. I had a base tune sent over within an hour of paying. I'm aiming for a flexfuel tune with base fuel being 95 ron and up to e40 max. I just loaded the 4th revision this evening on the 95 map, in just over a week, so turn around time is less than 24 hours from submitting the requested datalogs. the first 3 revisions felt restrictive, not much power etc.

I havent logged the 4th revision of the 95 ron side of tuning but it feels stronger at last! Ill start capturing some Dragy times now that you can feel the increase in power
Appreciate 1
UKF302524.00
      12-30-2022, 05:06 AM   #78
Ellinas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

I am totally blown away by these mods
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #79
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellinas View Post
I am totally blown away by these mods
Thanks, these are a nice daily driver car, that you can easily up the power on to have a bit more fun

I havent updated on here in a while, remote tuning this time of year is a slow process it turns out, we did 7 revisions on the low boost 95 ron/91 oct to get that dialled in, about 10 revisions on e30 and we stopped at about 5 revisions on e50 as there was some misfire issues on high load to figure out but then the weather got too cold etc to be messing with datalogging pulls safely

on the e50 the best 0-100kmh was 3.01 and best 100-200kmh was 6.78, so so good improvements with a few simple mods, there is probably a bit more left in it before we need to look at more fuel system upgrades, Tuner thinks its about 650hp currently, ill try get some dyno runs in the coming weeks on the different fuel qualities

I also picked up a set of 706M wheels as i got a crack in one of my original 759 wheels, a subtle upgrade i think, until i find a nicer aftermarket upgrade

I need to compile a 2023 mod list but i doubt it will be as extensive as the last 12 months!
      02-07-2023, 03:26 PM   #80
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 540i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Tuner thinks its about 650hp currently, ill try get some dyno runs in the coming weeks on the different fuel qualities
I am sorry if I missed this in your list of mods... Are you running stock transmission? I'm curious if you've changed out any of the drivetrain since you're pushing a lot of power.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:35 PM   #81
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanlilan View Post
I am sorry if I missed this in your list of mods... Are you running stock transmission? I'm curious if you've changed out any of the drivetrain since you're pushing a lot of power.
Only transmission changes were an XHP tune to the TCU, I have switchable maps and have been on the low boost tune over the winter to be honest it's very rarely you get to use a the power this time of year. I did load up the e30 tune last week so I've been enjoying that a bit! I'll change all the transmission and drivetrain fluids soon to keep everything fresh. Multiple hard launches and sticky semi slicks tyres would probably put extra strain on things a lot quicker but this is still my daily driver so need to look after her and have a bit of mechanical sympathy!
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #82
lanlilan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 540i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Only transmission changes were an XHP tune to the TCU...

... but this is still my daily driver so need to look after her and have a bit of mechanical sympathy!
I hear ya on being sympathetic to our daily drivers!

I 'untuned' my car as well, removing the Evolve stage 1 remap for the winter. And am considering adding XHP mainly because I'm curious. Evolve told me it wasn't necessary until going to stage 2 so I'm not sure if I'd gain any benefit at stage 1 pushing 400HP/TQ.

Anyway, huge kudos on a beautiful build!
Appreciate 1
buddyboy265.00
      02-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #83
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanlilan View Post
I hear ya on being sympathetic to our daily drivers!

I 'untuned' my car as well, removing the Evolve stage 1 remap for the winter. And am considering adding XHP mainly because I'm curious. Evolve told me it wasn't necessary until going to stage 2 so I'm not sure if I'd gain any benefit at stage 1 pushing 400HP/TQ.

Anyway, huge kudos on a beautiful build!
XHP may not be needed but its a great improvement in shift speeds and allows a lot of customisation , at a certain power level you need to remove the torque limiters to get the most from your remap agree but it has benefits at all levels of tune, they also do custom tune options now to tweak the absolute most from your setup!

Get onto stage 2+ in the milder weather and enjoy that b58!
      02-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #84
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

Where do you get your ethanol in Ireland?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 10:24 AM   #85
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
Where do you get your ethanol in Ireland?
There is a fuel suppliers of bioethanol that does the job nicely, amazon seller ekofuel is another option