BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Pay to play high-beam assistant.

01-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #23
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

I promised to revert with findings having attempted to activate the high-beam assistant using Bimmercode. [Thanks to MarkSCD for the instructions]. I only just got ‘round to it this evening.
The steps require a series of five parameters, using Expert Mode within Bimmercode, to be ‘Enabled’. So far, I have been unsuccessful. My vehicle is a 2022 545e LCI.
On my vehicle, the first step is obfuscated in that I do not have a simple Enable /Disable option, rather, an alphanumeric field (see image). So, I was unable to alter that setting which obviously meant I was off to a bad start. That said, as per some of the other parameters, I’m guessing this parameter is enabled. Perhaps BMW have made changes to make it harder to bypass the paywall?
Will update here if I have anything to add.
Attached Images

2019 G05 X5 M50D, 2016 F36 430d, 2012 F10 520d, 2006 E60 M5, 2005 E60 530D

Last edited by EUPremier; 01-01-2023 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 02:12 PM   #24
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

For models where the High-Beam Assistant is optional, vehicles come pre-equipped with High-Beam Assistant features via the optional Preparation for High-beam Assistant. This gives customers the ability to purchase High-Beam Assistant technology as an option after production, as an over the air upgrade via the ConnectedDrive store.

HBA is an option on the 545e, so Im doubting they are going to make it easy to change with coding, and as it can be purchased as an optional add on after production, they are not going to take kindly to someone coding it in for free, so taking it in for warranty work would become challenging?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:21 AM   #25
Patrick Hogan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 745e

Hi All,
I have hba listed on my vehicle spec sheet. It isn't working. Message states "not available or already existing in vehicle " when I check purchase. I have had the car in dealers 5 times since October to resolve without sucess. Changed kafas cameras, changed windscreen still unresolved. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:29 AM   #26
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

They must have dropped this stupid idea as my 2023 model didn’t have any of this stuff. Whatever was in the car was available to me. No subscription required
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 09:40 AM   #27
eric_gm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i - Blown E39

The little-known danger about hidden options that you have to pay to active is that the car already has all the modules and parts to make that work.

While you initially may think of that as a good thing, those parts add complexity and new failure points. As an example: the HID-equipped E39s had self-leveling headlights and the plastic adjusters inside the housings are notorious for getting brittle and breaking inside. Those adjusters are non-serviceable and not sold separately. What about E39s with halogens? They had the same damn adjusters, but doing absolutely nothing in there except breaking too.

Now imagine newer BMWs having the heating elements inside the seats, motors, sensors and adjusters for the headlights, etc. Maybe you don't want any of that and you didn't pay to activate those features, but they will still cause you troubles eventually.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:24 AM   #28
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPremier View Post
Just picked-up a demo G30 545e Xdrive. It has the high-beam assist hardware and BMW want €225 to turn it on.
Anyone know whether Bimmercode could throw the switch on this for me and get it working?
no sh!T !

omg
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 02:32 PM   #29
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

The feature is silly anyways. Let them keep it.

I find that these nannys and gadgets disconnect one from the drive and cause lapses in attention.

When I first got the G31, I found myself not even looking out the back window when reversing, because I had a camera.

Which of course is fucking retarded, particularly on narrow Euro streets. Then I wondered how many people continue with this retarded behavior rather than realize it's a bit dangerous and changing habits.

Probably quite a few.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:28 PM   #30
eric_gm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i - Blown E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
When I first got the G31, I found myself not even looking out the back window when reversing, because I had a camera.
Same. I've found myself relying on the 360 cameras a lot, instead of... you know, looking out.

G30s have thick pillars and high beltlines and it's harder to get a sense of how close you are to hitting something, so the cameras do help, but I've never had so much trouble centering a car in between parking lines, cameras and all. In my other cars, when I physically turn my head and look back, I nail parking spots, every. single. time.

I think as a society we've gotten used to looking at screens, they draw our attention and that's a dangerous trend.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 04:50 PM   #31
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

This is BS! The main problem is Automatic high beam has been a Free feature. Heated front seats are almost always included in any BMW in US market. They are not making us paying for features, they actually are making us paying for things that was FREE before!

Just look at Bowers & Wilkins package guys. It used to cost over $3500! Tesla hired a bunch of sound engineers and made better speakers. Tesla gave that out for FREE. I remember countless ads by BMW saying that they have sound engineers working for them. WTF!!! Their base system sounds like an old cassette radio. H&K is barely alright. Their B&W option was better but for the cost... it sucks balls.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:44 AM   #32
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
This is BS! The main problem is Automatic high beam has been a Free feature. Heated front seats are almost always included in any BMW in US market. They are not making us paying for features, they actually are making us paying for things that was FREE before!

Just look at Bowers & Wilkins package guys. It used to cost over $3500! Tesla hired a bunch of sound engineers and made better speakers. Tesla gave that out for FREE. I remember countless ads by BMW saying that they have sound engineers working for them. WTF!!! Their base system sounds like an old cassette radio. H&K is barely alright. Their B&W option was better but for the cost... it sucks balls.
I've played music for about 25 years (guitar) in various bands, etc., and my ear is pretty good. The HK system meets my needs. You have to play with the EQ a bit, but I can't complain.

Don't see the need for more in a car, really, as the interior is not a particularly good sound stage.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 11:02 PM   #33
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
I've played music for about 25 years (guitar) in various bands, etc., and my ear is pretty good. The HK system meets my needs. You have to play with the EQ a bit, but I can't complain.

Don't see the need for more in a car, really, as the interior is not a particularly good sound stage.
well, I'm sure HK system meet most ppl's needs. You can say the same to the B&W package, however, if you look at what a few Tesla engineers could have done, you can't help but question did BMW even try?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:21 PM   #34
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
well, I'm sure HK system meet most ppl's needs. You can say the same to the B&W package, however, if you look at what a few Tesla engineers could have done, you can't help but question did BMW even try?
Tesla doesn't have to contend with engine noise. Though, from my understanding, they do have to deal with creaks & rattles.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:19 AM   #35
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Oh are they known for that?
Appreciate 0