BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Test Drove M550i Today

10-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

Test Drove M550i Today

In Toronto, BMW has an event called the BMW Pavilion, http://www.bmwpavilion.ca/#/start

Where we saw the X7. (Which I really like in person by the way) and the new M5

I spent about an hour with the M550i. #Note, we were not able to drive it on the highway, arghh...

I have a 2015 535D, so I was anxious to drive the G30 M550i.

First impressions walking up the car, FANTASTIC!! Aggressive but not over the top. Loved the tires and rims. This car was black on black.

Second, this was my first time sitting side of the G30 with all of the lights on etc. the interior is better than the current 5 series. I also kinda like the Navigation screen being a pop up vs the current 5.

What I really liked about the interior were:

The Seats - very comfortable and looked fantastic black on black
Attention to detail - nice leather switching on dash, steering wheels, side doors. It felt more luxurious than pictures let off
Digital Dash - This looks much better in person than in any picture. I played with the various modes. I loved the look of it and it was useful!

Now the drive.. OMG!!!

Yeah, it is a gas guzzling V8, but have mercy... The M550i can haul. We whipped it along the east side of Downtown Toronto and I was able to put step into it in Sports mode. Lovely. It felt like the Ultimate Driving Machine.

In comfort zone, i was very surprised at how well it absorbed the road. It was much better than my F10 in handling the rough sections of downtown Toronto roads.

Also, I could feel the difference in steering. The steering wheel itself was firm and made me feel in control.

I didn't play with the hand gesture thing, but did like the iDrive interface a lot.

As a rule of thumb, I never buy the first year of a re-designed model. However, this car would make me reconsider that. Thankfully, I am no rush and will most likely wait til late 2018 before making that move.

The fuel consumption does concern me but man, this M550i was the truth! My only slight criticism (and I mean slight) would be the exterior styling. Wish BMW was a tad more aggressive but I am reaching here.

Now how do I justify a V8 engine next year?

2019 BMW X3 3.0. xLine, Black on Black
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Nice to see you liked G30 as a car owner of already a great model called F10
BMW has done a great job making improvements on the G30 that may leave F10 in the dust per se comfort level , driving experience ,interior , exterior .
I was also bewaring of first year cars in general but for G30 I broke this rule and the result is more than satisfying
      10-27-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I guess G30 is already into year 2 with 2018 production model rolling out of factories.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Yes, the M550i was very impressive when I test drove it. Fasted car I've driven so far.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
In Toronto, BMW has an event called the BMW Pavilion, http://www.bmwpavilion.ca/#/start

Where we saw the X7. (Which I really like in person by the way) and the new M5

I spent about an hour with the M550i. #Note, we were not able to drive it on the highway, arghh...

I have a 2015 535D, so I was anxious to drive the G30 M550i.

First impressions walking up the car, FANTASTIC!! Aggressive but not over the top. Loved the tires and rims. This car was black on black.

Second, this was my first time sitting side of the G30 with all of the lights on etc. the interior is better than the current 5 series. I also kinda like the Navigation screen being a pop up vs the current 5.

What I really liked about the interior were:

The Seats - very comfortable and looked fantastic black on black
Attention to detail - nice leather switching on dash, steering wheels, side doors. It felt more luxurious than pictures let off
Digital Dash - This looks much better in person than in any picture. I played with the various modes. I loved the look of it and it was useful!

Now the drive.. OMG!!!

Yeah, it is a gas guzzling V8, but have mercy... The M550i can haul. We whipped it along the east side of Downtown Toronto and I was able to put step into it in Sports mode. Lovely. It felt like the Ultimate Driving Machine.

In comfort zone, i was very surprised at how well it absorbed the road. It was much better than my F10 in handling the rough sections of downtown Toronto roads.

Also, I could feel the difference in steering. The steering wheel itself was firm and made me feel in control.

I didn't play with the hand gesture thing, but did like the iDrive interface a lot.

As a rule of thumb, I never buy the first year of a re-designed model. However, this car would make me reconsider that. Thankfully, I am no rush and will most likely wait til late 2018 before making that move.

The fuel consumption does concern me but man, this M550i was the truth! My only slight criticism (and I mean slight) would be the exterior styling. Wish BMW was a tad more aggressive but I am reaching here.

Now how do I justify a V8 engine next year?
Glad you like it - I like it too!

Re external styling, I must admit that whenever I walk up to it from distance, it always strikes me how low and mean it looks whilst not actually seeming too large overall.

Obviously, it could be lower, could be meaner, but I think the overall impression is that they've done a great job, the emphasis being on subtlety, under-the-radar image, and iron-fist-in-velvet-glove usage.

Never before have I continued to feel so happy every time I get into a car after 4 months ownership, and that includes 2 Porsches, Mercedes, and other BMW.