proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-23-2024, 09:33 AM   #45
speedastray17
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKilgore View Post
Based on your comment, i.e., acceleration out of a turn and it seems like it is unresponsive, this makes me suspect that traction control is kicking in and limiting your acceleration. What settings do you run the car in on track? Most importantly, is the "MDM" light on in your cluster?

With traction control on, it can seem like you have your foot to the floor coming out of a corner and the car just won't accelerate like you expect. Once it gets straightened up further out of the corner exit, then it will start accelerating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
OP, when I saw your post/reply I was/am thinking the same thing.

Do you see a traction control light flicker?

Can you try not flooring the throttle in the turn or coming out of the turn and just try to feather the throttle until the car gets straight and has a better chance of grabbing traction. These cars make big torque number and can overpower the rear tires.

Have you had someone ride with you to see what they think is happening?
Hmm, I'm not close to losing traction, the light doesn't come on, and my wheel is straight when my foot is on the floor. I guess it just feels like I'm not getting boost from the turbos. Does anyone know if they only kick in when in sport plus? I really don't hear them otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:31 AM   #46
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedastray17 View Post
Hmm, I'm not close to losing traction, the light doesn't come on, and my wheel is straight when my foot is on the floor. I guess it just feels like I'm not getting boost from the turbos. Does anyone know if they only kick in when in sport plus? I really don't hear them otherwise.
OK..... is there a way on these car to get the boost reading? Is it something that can be coded?

What RPM are you at as you get into the throttle?

Can you try the turn in a gear higher?
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 12:17 PM   #47
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Some things to consider:

The different throttle modes do not affect the power of the car. All modes have the same power.

The F8X has power graphs, so you can have them up while tracking and see what is going on
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 08:27 PM   #48
aka Hootie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 SS/BLK, 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
OK..... is there a way on these car to get the boost reading? Is it something that can be coded?

What RPM are you at as you get into the throttle?

Can you try the turn in a gear higher?
I watched your video, it sounds (can’t see your dash) like the gear you are in coming out of the turn is the issue. These cars have tons of readily available power if you keep it in the power band. It’s okay to keep the car in the higher rpm range then when you are driving on the street. You probably will have to adjust the throttle response setting so the gas peddle is not too touchy and unsettles the car so easily. I have a DCT, on the tracks I drive, I usually don’t need 2nd gear unless something/someone cause me to enter a turn slower than normal. I was hesitant to use 2nd but my instructor basically said “ You got to do what you got to do, the car will be fine.” It also took me a while to get comfortable takings gears to redline before shifting into the next gear. I am no where near an expert but wanted to share my experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 07:38 AM   #49
speedastray17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Hootie View Post
I watched your video, it sounds (can’t see your dash) like the gear you are in coming out of the turn is the issue. These cars have tons of readily available power if you keep it in the power band. It’s okay to keep the car in the higher rpm range then when you are driving on the street. You probably will have to adjust the throttle response setting so the gas peddle is not too touchy and unsettles the car so easily. I have a DCT, on the tracks I drive, I usually don’t need 2nd gear unless something/someone cause me to enter a turn slower than normal. I was hesitant to use 2nd but my instructor basically said “ You got to do what you got to do, the car will be fine.” It also took me a while to get comfortable takings gears to redline before shifting into the next gear. I am no where near an expert but wanted to share my experience.
I shift between 6500 and 7000 rpm. I played around with using 2nd instead but kept pinging the red line more than I was comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:30 AM   #50
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I don't have any experience on the PS4S tires, and it's not clear what setting you have the DSC in, but it is not hard to break the tires loose going full throttle, especially with additional load on the car on corner exit. If you have DSC on, or you are in MDM mode, you will see the light flicker on your dash when traction control is intervening. If you haven't noticed that happening, then maybe that's not the issue.

Do you know what settings you are in when you go out on track? Do you use the M1 or M2 modes? It sounds like you are at least in Sport mode. There is very little difference between Sport mode and Sport+ mode, and nothing that would cause a noticeable lack of power between the two.

In your YT video, it does sound like you are in a good RPM range and not getting too low where the engine is bogging down. As long as you are staying above 3000-3500 RPM, you shouldn't feel like the engine is not making power.

If you have any track days coming up, see if anyone else there has an F8x that you can talk to, or ride with, or have them ride with you. Or, a different view from the GoPro to where we could see the cluster could be helpful to determine if we notice anything weird going on. If you feel comfortable, you could put the GoPro on the chin of your helmet to offer a pretty good vantage point.

If you take your car in for some maintenance before your next track day, ask if they can do a boost leak test. That may rule out a potential issue.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 12:16 PM   #51
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I recommend that you use auto rev match. I insisted on heel toe downshifting for my first 3 seasons but it was a mistake, especially if you want to drive fast which requires threshold braking. Also, it is very hard on the car's drive train unless you get it just right.

We can't all be the guy in penny loafers and white tube socks...
I knew exactly who you were referring to when you mentioned penny loafers and white tube socks! I remember when this was first released. It allowed you to see his interesting use of the throttle pedal and how he immediately got back to 100% WOT. Then continuously stabbed the throttle pedal to sort out oversteer. Awesome video 30+ years later. He was taken way too young
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 03:24 PM   #52
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKilgore View Post
I don't have any experience on the PS4S tires, and it's not clear what setting you have the DSC in, but it is not hard to break the tires loose going full throttle, especially with additional load on the car on corner exit. If you have DSC on, or you are in MDM mode, you will see the light flicker on your dash when traction control is intervening. If you haven't noticed that happening, then maybe that's not the issue.

Do you know what settings you are in when you go out on track? Do you use the M1 or M2 modes? It sounds like you are at least in Sport mode. There is very little difference between Sport mode and Sport+ mode, and nothing that would cause a noticeable lack of power between the two.

In your YT video, it does sound like you are in a good RPM range and not getting too low where the engine is bogging down. As long as you are staying above 3000-3500 RPM, you shouldn't feel like the engine is not making power.

If you have any track days coming up, see if anyone else there has an F8x that you can talk to, or ride with, or have them ride with you. Or, a different view from the GoPro to where we could see the cluster could be helpful to determine if we notice anything weird going on. If you feel comfortable, you could put the GoPro on the chin of your helmet to offer a pretty good vantage point.

If you take your car in for some maintenance before your next track day, ask if they can do a boost leak test. That may rule out a potential issue.
speedastray17 You are welcome to ride along with me sometime in the spring. I have a 6MT F82.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 04:12 PM   #53
speedastray17
Rep

This is all good stuff. Sorry for not responding to each comment, I'm definitely taking notes based on your insight. Lots to look into.
Would love ride alongs. My instructor did a few laps in my car and just going by the feel of it helped massively. Since you can probably easily spot me at a track day in New England this season, come say hi. I'm open to pointers and a point-by 😉
Appreciate 0