BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Front CF splitter and CF diffuser

05-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
MN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i XDrive M Sport

Front CF splitter and CF diffuser

Hi guys

I appreciate you may have had this asked before somewhat but i need some help for the near future:

1. My car is a Carbon Black 540i with the MSport Plus kit. Can i just add on the CF splitter without the need to have the corner bits?
2. For the CF rear diffuser, i assume you need to have the MP exhaust tips?
3. As the MSport Plus package alsready comes with a boot spoiler, i assume the CF one is not needed (see point 5 below).
4. The side skirts would finish off the package as I see it
5. At the end of the day, does the MP CF splitter and diffuser improve aerodynamics or is it all show?
6. Where is the best place to get it all in the UK. Dealers?
7. I guess lowering the car and spacing out the wheels would be something to consider. But, i havent seen any aftermarket springs yet where you have the variable dampers installed.

Sorry for the list but appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN View Post
Hi guys

I appreciate you may have had this asked before somewhat but i need some help for the near future:

1. My car is a Carbon Black 540i with the MSport Plus kit. Can i just add on the CF splitter without the need to have the corner bits?
2. For the CF rear diffuser, i assume you need to have the MP exhaust tips?
3. As the MSport Plus package alsready comes with a boot spoiler, i assume the CF one is not needed (see point 5 below).
4. The side skirts would finish off the package as I see it
5. At the end of the day, does the MP CF splitter and diffuser improve aerodynamics or is it all show?
6. Where is the best place to get it all in the UK. Dealers?
7. I guess lowering the car and spacing out the wheels would be something to consider. But, i havent seen any aftermarket springs yet where you have the variable dampers installed.

Sorry for the list but appreciate your help!
1. The OEM splitter has holes that mount to the corner bits. If you do not have the crners, you will see the holes. You can get a CF replica splitter on Aliexpress with no holes that is made to be fitted without the corner. I had one before (sold it now) and it looked good. I only sold it because I wanted the full OEM look with the corners in the end.
2. No, it fits std exhausts - see my pics below
3. Yeah, the CF one is no bigger than the OEM one. Its just CF. I ended up buying a larger CF one from Aliexpress
4. Agree, but on a black car you could get away with not having them. It would look good, but you have to ask if its worth the cost when they will be harder to see on black car.
5. I consider it all for show. I'm no aero expert and would never notice any difference in aero.
6. I found a dealer on eBay (Marshall BMW) who did some great prices on everything except the OEM CF rear diffuser which I got from a seller in Czech Republic for £636. I got the full front, sides, side decals and rear bumper trim (the black bit that the CF diffuser fits onto) for £1650.
7. I have 15mm spacers on the back but haven't lowered. If you have variable dampers, your car sits about 10mm higher than mine as I'm on M Sport fixed suspension.

Here's some pics of my car:

I'm in Sutton Coldfield so can't be too far from you - if you want to meet up and see anything in person let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
MN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
1. The OEM splitter has holes that mount to the corner bits. If you do not have the crners, you will see the holes. You can get a CF replica splitter on Aliexpress with no holes that is made to be fitted without the corner. I had one before (sold it now) and it looked good. I only sold it because I wanted the full OEM look with the corners in the end.
2. No, it fits std exhausts - see my pics below
3. Yeah, the CF one is no bigger than the OEM one. Its just CF. I ended up buying a larger CF one from Aliexpress
4. Agree, but on a black car you could get away with not having them. It would look good, but you have to ask if its worth the cost when they will be harder to see on black car.
5. I consider it all for show. I'm no aero expert and would never notice any difference in aero.
6. I found a dealer on eBay (Marshall BMW) who did some great prices on everything except the OEM CF rear diffuser which I got from a seller in Czech Republic for £636. I got the full front, sides, side decals and rear bumper trim (the black bit that the CF diffuser fits onto) for £1650.
7. I have 15mm spacers on the back but haven't lowered. If you have variable dampers, your car sits about 10mm higher than mine as I'm on M Sport fixed suspension.

Here's some pics of my car:

I'm in Sutton Coldfield so can't be too far from you - if you want to meet up and see anything in person let me know.
Many thanks for the above. I’m in Bham so yes not far from you. As you say, because I’m sitting 10mm higher already lowering the car may need to be considered. No doubt will make it more nimble around corners (like my previous 3 series).

Surprised about the aerodynamics part. I would have expected a bit more downforce at least for that money

Plan for me is to hold out for a while, if I need more power go for the MPPSK and then consider the full MP kit OR just lower the car and space out the wheels (if I want more handling over looks)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks for the above. I’m in Bham so yes not far from you. As you say, because I’m sitting 10mm higher already lowering the car may need to be considered. No doubt will make it more nimble around corners (like my previous 3 series).

Surprised about the aerodynamics part. I would have expected a bit more downforce at least for that money

Plan for me is to hold out for a while, if I need more power go for the MPPSK and then consider the full MP kit OR just lower the car and space out the wheels (if I want more handling over looks)
No probs.

I lowered my f10 which was on adaptive shocks and it helped the handling a lot. I'm sure that ACS have a spring kit for the G30 which is compatible with adaptive dampers.

I'm not saying the MP kit doesn't give aero dynamic improvements, it's just that that wasn't MY reason for fitting it because i personally wouldn't notice any change. You can bet BMW did all of the aero dynamic tests etc as any manufacture would do and I'm sure there are improvements there with numbers to back it up. I know they claim aero dynamics are improved in the sales bumpf for the MP kit.

I am still considering the MPPSK, but i have a JB+ and i really like the power delivery of that. I have never driven a MPPSK car so I'm worried that after spending that much, i would be left thinking the JB+ was better value (£200 v £3k).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
MN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No probs.

I lowered my f10 which was on adaptive shocks and it helped the handling a lot. I'm sure that ACS have a spring kit for the G30 which is compatible with adaptive dampers.

I'm not saying the MP kit doesn't give aero dynamic improvements, it's just that that wasn't MY reason for fitting it because i personally wouldn't notice any change. You can bet BMW did all of the aero dynamic tests etc as any manufacture would do and I'm sure there are improvements there with numbers to back it up. I know they claim aero dynamics are improved in the sales bumpf for the MP kit.

I am still considering the MPPSK, but i have a JB+ and i really like the power delivery of that. I have never driven a MPPSK car so I'm worried that after spending that much, i would be left thinking the JB+ was better value (£200 v £3k).
Yep the MPPSK is expensive. Is the JB+ working well without any issues? I’ve put the foot down in mine today even though it’s done 670 miles as I couldn’t wait for the ‘break in’ period to end. I’ve been missing the push back feeling. Even shifted the lever to the left! Lol I like the slight burble when it shifts.

A 140i owner (works for the RAC) told me these engines are already broken into and being high performance there is no ‘break in’. So I thought sod it!

I will have to check out the ACS springs at some point
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is the JB+ working well without any issues?
No issues at all - doesn't change normal drive-ability, but when putting the foot down the turbo kicks so much harder its amazing. I often disconnect it and drive without just to remind myself, and when its stock it honestly feels like the turbo is missing.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:

I'm sure that ACS have a spring kit for the G30 which is compatible with adaptive dampers.

Both ACS and Dinan have spring kits that are compatible with adaptive dampers. My impression is that the Dinan set don't lower the car quite as much - a factor you might want to consider if you have added the front splitter, and even more so on the M550i (which is lower than the rest of the G30 series already) with the front splitter
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
MN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No issues at all - doesn't change normal drive-ability, but when putting the foot down the turbo kicks so much harder its amazing. I often disconnect it and drive without just to remind myself, and when its stock it honestly feels like the turbo is missing.
Thanks for that. I will have to check it out for sure!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #9
MN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post
Both ACS and Dinan have spring kits that are compatible with adaptive dampers. My impression is that the Dinan set don't lower the car quite as much - a factor you might want to consider if you have added the front splitter, and even more so on the M550i (which is lower than the rest of the G30 series already) with the front splitter
Thanks for the info. Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #10
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Good to know!
Just so you know the rear carbon diffuser will throw your trunk kick plate out of whack unless coded. It’s even in the instructions. I went with a replica front myself n oem side vinyl n skirts, even tho I have a dark blue car. My car definitely rides high on dynamic but the skirts n lip should help round out the bottom to look more low. I just got the car n have a jb+ so looking forward to what everyone else seems to say. It’s funny you guys with 540s want so much power as coming from a 435 to a 530e of all things I find it surprisingly quick so I’m really curious what this JB will do. Having just gone for a more spirited drive at night around my neck of the woods I think BMW is massively underrating the 530e. But I’ll still slap on the JB+.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:48 AM   #11
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Just so you know the rear carbon diffuser will throw your trunk kick plate out of whack unless coded.
I have the instructions for installation but can't see anything about coding. Can you post whatever info you have seen?

Mine still works but I have to actually make contact with my foot to the CF diffuser for it work. I would like to get it back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #12
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh as for wanting more power, you will always want more . I could buy an M5 and still go out looking for tuning solutions .

I think for me its more about the delivery than the power - It's about feeling the power come in more aggressively and earlier, rather than in the linear way that BMW make their cars behave as standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #13
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
I have the instructions for installation but can't see anything about coding. Can you post whatever info you have seen?

Mine still works but I have to actually make contact with my foot to the CF diffuser for it work. I would like to get it back to normal.
There is a M Performance parts installation pdf in this forum, you could probably google it, the coding info is on the last page. I think it increases the sensitivity of that sensor. Lol n I hear you I guess it just funny how underrated the 530e Is even n until tonight I didn’t think I’d be able to punch it like I did my 435. I keep getting to 50mph from a stop light way faster than I thought I would n see cars half mile behind me n I bought the car I thought obviously doing that. So I can only imagine how fast 540 would be with jB
Appreciate 0