BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW To showcase '79 Warhol M1 Art Car @ ARTCETERA 10/5/13-Boston

10-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BMW To showcase '79 Warhol M1 Art Car @ ARTCETERA 10/5/13-Boston

BMWGroup Press Release: BMWGroup Press Release

BMW of North America is pleased to feature its M1 Art Car by Andy Warhol at Boston’s annual ARTcetera fundraising event to support the AIDS Action Committee. Originally raced in Le Mans, Warhol’s hand painted BMW M1 is the 4th in the Art Car collection, and showcases the artist’s unique depiction of speed. In his own words, Warhol described the piece as “Portray[ing] speed pictorially. If a car is moving really quickly, all the lines and colors are blurred.”

The Art Car series began in 1975 when Le Mans driver Hervé Poulain commissioned American artist Alexander Calder to transform his racecar into a canvas. Since then, the collection has gone on to feature dynamic and impressive artists from around the world, including Frank Stella, Roy Lichtenstein, and Robert Rauschenberg. Warhol’s M1 Art Car has amassed an impressive resume from museums and galleries worldwide, and will serve as the perfect complement to the high caliber pieces up for auction at ARTcetera.

Additionally, the Massachusetts BMW centers are pleased to announce their first year of sponsorship for ARTcetera 2013. Established by Boston area artists as a response to the AIDS epidemic in the early 1980’s, ARTcetera has flourished into one of New England’s premier art auctions, as well as an invaluable yearly fundraising event for AIDS Action. ARTcetera asks artists, both established and emerging, to submit pieces representative of their unique style across a wide range of mediums. In addition to the artwork, local and national sponsors help to ensure the annual continuation of the program. The event will be held on Saturday, October 5, 2013 at the Park Plaza Castle in Boston. Information for purchasing tickets or making donations can be found at www.aac.org.
http://www.aac.org/media/coverage/bm...artcetera.html

ARTcetera 2013. Saturday, October 5.
Co-Chairs Barbara Lee and Bill Emery
with Rafanelli Events and MAX Ultimate Food
More than twenty-five years ago, a group of Boston-area artists came together in response to the AIDS crisis, which was claiming the lives of so many of their friends, fellow artists and colleagues. They responded by creating and organizing the first ARTcetera, a contemporary art auction held at Boston City Hall, to raise money for AIDS Action Committee.

Over the years, ARTcetera has grown to become one of New England’s premier art auctions and an essential funding source for AIDS Action. And, while the AIDS epidemic looks nothing like it did 25 years ago, this epidemic and AIDS Action’s work are far from over.

Once again, the arts community and AIDS Action will celebrate our extraordinary partnership in this fight to stop the epidemic by preventing new infections and optimizing the health of those living with HIV.

Event Details
The Park Plaza Castle

- See more at: http://action.aac.org/site/PageServe....WM9nZzlj.dpuf
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Awesome. I encourage everyone to view one of the art cars in person if you ever get a chance. They really are a lot of fun to look at.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Has anyone sent this over to Jalopnik?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Ungh! The Warhol is my least favorite. Enjoy the show if you go though.
      10-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
top6491
MSGT USMC (Ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I know, my favorite is the Jeff Koons M3 GT2.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

The Koons is nice, definitely!
I also like the Matazo Kayama 535 and the '92 BMW 3-Series Racing Prototype by Sandro Chia

Last edited by 954Stealth; 10-03-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

the Koons M3 is certainly the best of the 'newer' art cars. The Lichtenstein is my favorite, and one of two I've actually seen in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
FitzPower
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

Beautiful.
Appreciate 0