BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 16amps. Is that it?

06-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #23
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i4

I see that Tesla has taken the Model S and Model X off sale as it “battles production setbacks”.

This may just be for the UK Market though.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 11:01 AM   #24
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiseptic View Post
I see that Tesla has taken the Model S and Model X off sale as it “battles production setbacks”.

This may just be for the UK Market though.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/elo...er-51655982269
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 06:38 AM   #25
Victor.pana80
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 545e

Hello!
This is my first experience with a hybrid car, I have the LCI 545e for 7-8 months already.
I have a question, maybe someone could answer… I usually charge the car at home, 10A, it takes around 4 hours to fully charge it from 0. When charging at dedicated charging stations, the car shows 16A and is “sucking” only 3Kw/H out of 20 Kw that the station offers…
Now, the question… why when charging the car while driving, using battery control mode, it takes around 1 hour to charge from 0 to full?… so the battery can actually support charging power of 10 Kw/h… I did this experiment in the last weekend… 140 kms on the highway I had the battery full in an hour and something..
Can anyone explain this limitations? For a Type 2 charging station it should take 30-40 mins to fully charge the battery, in theory…
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #26
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor.pana80 View Post
Hello!
This is my first experience with a hybrid car, I have the LCI 545e for 7-8 months already.
I have a question, maybe someone could answer… I usually charge the car at home, 10A, it takes around 4 hours to fully charge it from 0. When charging at dedicated charging stations, the car shows 16A and is “sucking” only 3Kw/H out of 20 Kw that the station offers…
Now, the question… why when charging the car while driving, using battery control mode, it takes around 1 hour to charge from 0 to full?… so the battery can actually support charging power of 10 Kw/h… I did this experiment in the last weekend… 140 kms on the highway I had the battery full in an hour and something..
Can anyone explain this limitations? For a Type 2 charging station it should take 30-40 mins to fully charge the battery, in theory…
Thanks!
The “charger” is in the car. It has a limitation of 16A @ 240v. The ICE engine acting as a generator is able to charge at a much higher rate than the KLE (onboard charger that you plug into).

BMW opted for a slower charger probably for cost saving and battery longevity reasons, but it is annoying
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #27
Victor.pana80
Registered
Rep

The battery is charging all the time using the internal charger, in any driving mode… longevity is not a good reason. Probably it was just cheaper. But for such a cost of the car… cheaper is also not an option. So it comes reason number 3 … do not allow a 45e user to charge the car fast, why should we allow such an option? If they want electric they should buy a full electric car))) Just my guess)))
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #28
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
The battery is charging all the time using the internal charger, in any driving mode… longevity is not a good reason. Probably it was just cheaper. But for such a cost of the car… cheaper is also not an option. So it comes reason number 3 … do not allow a 45e user to charge the car fast, why should we allow such an option? If they want electric they should buy a full electric car))) Just my guess)))
I doubt the decision is motivated much to steer buyers toward fully electric cars. BMW still doesn't have a fully electric 5-Series sedan, for instance. So if that were their goal they'd be telling PHEV 5-Series buyers that their goal is for them to by another brand entirely. That wouldn't make sense.

The fully electric 5-Series arrives later this year with the BMW i5. Should be unveiled in a few weeks.

It was driven by cheapness concerns. Could be the reduced battery wear to lower warranty costs on their up to 10Y warranty on the battery depending on market or the fact they could keep the same part in use across all of their PHEV lineup for a decade+. Who knows which it is.

You can always write them and let them know though that their cheapness is unbecoming of the price point.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #29
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Quote:
If you go to the "Energy Flow" section of iDrive (on the centre screen) you will see that actually, no - the car is not 'always charging' at all, in any driving mode.
Eco Pro trys to eek out the very last electron of use, even down to coasting as much as it can, using no engine or battery at all.

It does charge at various rates depending on what mode you are in,just not continuously, unless you are in "Battery Mode" which forces the engine to run and charge the battery to the %% chosen, and also if braking which uses re-generation.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:59 AM   #30
Victor.pana80
Registered
Rep

Yes, you are right. I said that because when the battery is empty, I always drive with the gear knob in sport mode and it is always charging.I hate it when engine stops all the time, especially inside cities.
Anyways… thanks guys! Too bad cause of this limitation… we would have been much greener with a faster charging of the car🤣🤣

Last edited by Victor.pana80; 05-07-2023 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Type o
Appreciate 0