BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 from an F36 anyone?

10-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

G30 from an F36 anyone?

Did anyone go from an F36 to a G30?
Am thinking of doing this next year (July onwards) once the G3O LCI is in production.
Would be interested to hear your views on refinement, NVH, comfort etc
Thanks 
      10-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Did anyone go from an F36 to a G30?
Am thinking of doing this next year (July onwards) once the G3O LCI is in production.
Would be interested to hear your views on refinement, NVH, comfort etc
Thanks
I did this, from a F36 453d GC M Sport, with a big spec... verdict, honestly as good as the F36 is, and it is damn good, it’s no contest really. Feels dated once you’ve been in a G30. A well spec’d F36 vs well spec’d G30, Id take the G30 everytime.

They are very different cars to be fair, but, they are also in a different league.

Fire me some questions and I’ll do my best to answer them and provide you with some perspective.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

I moved from F36 to G30

In terms of refinement, luxury and technology G30 is way ahead

F36 was more sporty and beautiful
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3amir View Post
I moved from F36 to G30

Agreed, both great cars. As always with BMW it’s all about spec, if you got a G30 with adaptive drive with VDC, I’d say it’s a very capable machine. The G30 just moves things on to the next level, the F36 is still a great vehicle in its own right, but as with all things it’s replacement will come one day as well. If we compare the F36 to the F10, Id personally take the F36. But if we throw the G30 in the mix, I’d go G30. It’s just does everything so well, and the G30 LCI will be another step up again. Go for it I’d say. Only thing I would say is check out the seats on the G30, go comfort if you can.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3amir View Post
I moved from F36 to G30

Agreed, both great cars. As always with BMW it’s all about spec, if you got a G30 with adaptive drive with VDC, I’d say it’s a very capable machine. The G30 just moves things on to the next level, the F36 is still a great vehicle in its own right, but as with all things it’s replacement will come one day as well. If we compare the F36 to the F10, Id personally take the F36. But if we throw the G30 in the mix, I’d go G30. It’s just does everything so well, and the G30 LCI will be another step up again. Go for it I’d say. Only thing I would say is check out the seats on the G30, go comfort if you can.
re. your last point, I certainly will.
Test drove a G30 saloon with the sports seats and couldn't get comfortable after one hour of trying. The base side bolsters were poorly placed for me. Odd because the sports seats in my F36 are just fine, as they were in my F31 and F11 before that!!??
      10-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Test drove a G30 saloon with the sports seats and couldn't get comfortable after one hour of trying. The base side bolsters were poorly placed for me. Odd because the sports seats in my F36 are just fine, as they were in my F31 and F11 before that!!??
This is why I’m on my 3rd G30, the sport seats either work or they don’t. For me they cut into my right thigh, bad enough that it really hurt my hip. But loved the car so much.

Just got into one with premium package with the nappa comfort seats with massage and it’s reached perfection. Beautiful car!

I also had zero issues in the F36 with regards to the sport seats. The G30 lower base bolsters are just far too firm, it’s only when you sit in the comfort seats that you realise it. Plus getting in and out if so much easier in the comfort seats.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is why I'm on my 3rd G30, the sport seats either work or they don't. For me they cut into my right thigh, bad enough that it really hurt my hip. But loved the car so much.

Just got into one with premium package with the nappa comfort seats with massage and it's reached perfection. Beautiful car!

I also had zero issues in the F36 with regards to the sport seats. The G30 lower base bolsters are just far too firm, it's only when you sit in the comfort seats that you realise it. Plus getting in and out if so much easier in the comfort seats.
What's been your experience with wheel sizes, particularly given you're in the UK?
I'm thinking I'll probably go with 19" on passive M Sport suspension, which seemed okay when I test drove. I
I've had M Adaptive on my last two cars, which is too clever by half, smoothing out all but the worst surfaces. Not available on the G30 from the looks of it, only VDC, which doesn't use the M Sport springs according to my dealer, so no 10mm drop
Anyway, more to the point, having had 3 G30s (!! ), what do you recommend? And how do you find road/tyre noise in the G30 as compared with the F36?
Thanks
      10-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's been your experience with wheel sizes, particularly given you're in the UK?
I'm thinking I'll probably go with 19" on passive M Sport suspension, which seemed okay when I test drove. I
I've had M Adaptive on my last two cars, which is too clever by half, smoothing out all but the worst surfaces. Not available on the G30 from the looks of it, only VDC, which doesn't use the M Sport springs according to my dealer, so no 10mm drop
Anyway, more to the point, having had 3 G30s (!! ), what do you recommend? And how do you find road/tyre noise in the G30 as compared with the F36?
Thanks
Only had 20’s on all 3, 2 with passive M Sport suspension, and the current with adaptive which I must say is sublime. Didn’t know that the adaptive was 10mm higher, come to think of it something does look different with this latest one and I couldn’t put my finger on it. It looks better proportionately to my last one? Could be that I guess? Maybe this is why it rides better, it’s far more regal in the way it drives, but still precise and accurate as any BMW should be. Bigger, and a little harder to hustle than the GC, but not massively as I also found the GC a bit wallowy. But totally acceptable. Try the same in an E class of new A6, the g30 is the best in class here end of.

Cabin isolation is also the best in class, miles ahead of the F36, you realise this when you talk in the car as you don’t need to raise your voice, it’s that quite.
Tyres dependent of course, I’ve had Pirelli, Bridgestone, continentals, Goodyear and Michelin. Michelin being the best, contis were really good, then Pirelli, Bridgestone with the Goodyear’s last. Ridge stones have come a long way from the E90 days but still. To the best. The Goodyear’s have had aweful reports with casing splitting and blow outs.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Only had 20’s on all 3, 2 with passive M Sport suspension, and the current with adaptive which I must say is sublime. Didn’t know that the adaptive was 10mm higher, come to think of it something does look different with this latest one and I couldn’t put my finger on it. It looks better proportionately to my last one? Could be that I guess? Maybe this is why it rides better, it’s far more regal in the way it drives, but still precise and accurate as any BMW should be. Bigger, and a little harder to hustle than the GC, but not massively as I also found the GC a bit wallowy. But totally acceptable. Try the same in an E class of new A6, the g30 is the best in class here end of.

Cabin isolation is also the best in class, miles ahead of the F36, you realise this when you talk in the car as you don’t need to raise your voice, it’s that quite.
Tyres dependent of course, I’ve had Pirelli, Bridgestone, continentals, Goodyear and Michelin. Michelin being the best, contis were really good, then Pirelli, Bridgestone with the Goodyear’s last. Ridge stones have come a long way from the E90 days but still. To the best. The Goodyear’s have had aweful reports with casing splitting and blow outs.
Thanks for that, all very useful
I don't know about adaptive drive being same ride height as SE, tbh, only the VDC option not using the M Sport springs. My budget doesn't stretch to the full adaptive, sadly, so I was only talking to the sales guy about VDC...
      10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for that, all very useful
I don't know about adaptive drive being same ride height as SE, tbh, only the VDC option not using the M Sport springs. My budget doesn't stretch to the full adaptive, sadly, so I was only talking to the sales guy about VDC...
After some reading, think your right on the 10mm difference, but in all honesty the car is better for it having lived with 3 G30’s. Never had the 19’s though so maybe the 19’s are a good compromise?

Spec is everything, my latest one is more like a SWB 7 series it has that much spec. definitely check out the comfort seats, HK sound and heads up. Presuming they’ve pimped up the new G30 LCI so it will be a winner. I have zero regrets moving to the G30. Will go G05 next though

It’s never ending mate
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting read here, the way I read this is the adaptive m sport suspension is 10mm lower?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting read here, the way I read this is the adaptive m sport suspension is 10mm lower?
yeh, you're clearly right, but is that an available option in the UK on the G30? I can only find VDC, which isn't the same thing afaik, and adaptive drive?

EDIT Reading the footnote, it's the M Dynamic Professional option I'd ideally like, which is the equivalent of M Adaptive on my current F36 i.e. adaptive dampers and M Sport springs. I don't think that exists as an option in the UK on the G30?
      10-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Do you reckon it's worth waiting for the LCI, guys? Hard to tell what they're planning on doing with the exterior from camo spy shots. My biggest concern is that they might stick on oversized grilles, which would kill it for me, as per the 7 series changes....
      10-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I'd also like to add that the G30 is more stable at speed, even more so in poor conditions. Feels more planted, which is a high accolade considering how capable the F36 XDrive is.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you reckon it's worth waiting for the LCI, guys? Hard to tell what they're planning on doing with the exterior from camo spy shots. My biggest concern is that they might stick on oversized grilles, which would kill it for me, as per the 7 series changes....
I think so, look at the new 3 and 8 series for ideas of how it will look. The idrive, selector button section looks far better in the newer models. As mentioned earlier it's all about spec, maybe a used approved could be an option if it ticks all the boxes. If leasing then it's a no brainer.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
why not G20, G30 is a big car, had G20 M340i xDrive been around back in end of 2018 I might just have picked that instead
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
why not G20, G30 is a big car, had G20 M340i xDrive been around back in end of 2018 I might just have picked that instead
Yeh, the G30's big for certain but I fancy a 5 again. I had an E61 and a couple of F11's in the past.
I'm in a 4GC with MPPSK now so I reckon the M340i wouldn't be radically different to drive, apart from handling a bit better with the new chassis, stiffer body and the rear diff.
I'm craving a bit of luxury, refinement and reduced NVH over performance tbh . Most of my journeys are long ones and the potential of the B58 is wasted a lot of the time. I put my foot down at every single opportunity but so much of the time, I'm cruising at A road and motorway speeds. Can see myself wafting around in a six pot diesel again for a good few years
      10-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yeh, the G30's big for certain but I fancy a 5 again. I had an E61 and a couple of F11's in the past.
I'm in a 4GC with MPPSK now so I reckon the M340i wouldn't be radically different to drive, apart from handling a bit better with the new chassis, stiffer body and the rear diff.
I'm craving a bit of luxury, refinement and reduced NVH over performance tbh . Most of my journeys are long ones and the potential of the B58 is wasted a lot of the time. I put my foot down at every single opportunity but so much of the time, I'm cruising at A road and motorway speeds. Can see myself wafting around in a six pot diesel again for a good few years
By the way I was in the dealer a few weeks ago regarding to the rear camera recall, incidentally there was a E60 park next to mine side by side, G30 looks much larger relative to E60...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:55 AM   #19
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By the way I was in the dealer a few weeks ago regarding to the rear camera recall, incidentally there was a E60 park next to mine side by side, G30 looks much larger relative to E60...
Yep, it's big, I know, although it doesn't feel it when you're behind the wheel
I'm in a 4GC currently, which is the sweet spot in the range size wise, imo.
The front end of the recently revealed new 4 Concept looks awful, however, so I am unlikely to get another
The 5 is the natural choice right now - unless they ruin it with the LCI, which goes into production in July 2020?!
      03-09-2023, 06:57 AM   #20
Rares
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328ix

Quote:
I did this, from a F36 453d GC M Sport, with a big spec... verdict, honestly as good as the F36 is, and it is damn good, it’s no contest really. Feels dated once you’ve been in a G30. A well spec’d F36 vs well spec’d G30, Id take the G30 everytime.

They are very different cars to be fair, but, they are also in a different league.

Fire me some questions and I’ll do my best to answer them and provide you with some perspective.

Hi! I came across this post and i was wondering if you could tell me about the trunk space practicability? I’m have one child around 2 years old and from your perspective which car would be more practical?
Appreciate 0