BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Thinkware f770 dashcam

06-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Got a reasonable deal on a thinkware f770 dashcam (front and rear). Any thoughts on this vs nextbase 522?
Should I hardwire so the dashcam works whilst the car is parked? Will this cause any issues with the battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Not familiar with the details on those 2 dashcam brands, but as for the wiring, hardwiring alone will not keep it running while parking. You would need to add a battery system, such as Power Magic Pro or the Cellink Neo in order to keep it running continuously while parked.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Not familiar with the details on those 2 dashcam brands, but as for the wiring, hardwiring alone will not keep it running while parking. You would need to add a battery system, such as Power Magic Pro or the Cellink Neo in order to keep it running continuously while parked.
Would this not work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H35NC..._LBo6EbJ4M08XF
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

My apologies, I thought you meant straight hardwire to a constant fuse/power source, and I also confused the Power Magic Pro with a battery kit in my post. You can hardwire using one of those kits and it should keep you from getting any battery drain errors.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just realised this may not work for dashcams with a rear camera. This hardwire kit uses the usb for power which is needed for the rear camera. Back to the drawing board it seems.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Real silly question. The thinkware has a 'parking mode'. Do I need to use a switched or unswitched fuse?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
Phas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Be very careful which fuse you use for the dashcam. Most of the fuses shutdown after a specified time, so no juice. It is best to get a separate battery for the dashcam to handle "parking mode". As roxxor said, a Cellink Neo would do the job.
      06-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phas View Post
Be very careful which fuse you use for the dashcam. Most of the fuses shutdown after a specified time, so no juice. It is best to get a separate battery for the dashcam to handle "parking mode". As roxxor said, a Cellink Neo would do the job.
£350 for the battery. That's takes it way beyond my budget.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

According to the manual, the thinkware hardwire connector has two wires, constant and switched live. Does anyone know if there are any unused fuse slots which can be used?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
Phas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Try this thread with the fuse diagram...hope that helps.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1324199
OR
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1324199

Last edited by Phas; 06-16-2020 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #11
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phas View Post
Same thread but thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #12
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativ101 View Post
Got a reasonable deal on a thinkware f770 dashcam (front and rear). Any thoughts on this vs nextbase 522?
Should I hardwire so the dashcam works whilst the car is parked? Will this cause any issues with the battery?
I have two Thinkware systems including a F800 Pro front/rear hardwired and have been happy with the systems. You don't need a battery backup as others have mentioned. The system only records in parking mode when there is motion detected. You can also set a limit on when the system will stop recording if it hits a target pre-set voltage so you don't drained the battery completely. Thinkware has the best parking mode systems in my opinion. Installation is easy, just make sure to get the hardwire kit if you want the parking mode to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #13
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialNerror View Post
Quote:
I have two Thinkware systems including a F800 Pro front/rear hardwired and have been happy with the systems. You don't need a battery backup as others have mentioned. The system only records in parking mode when there is motion detected. You can also set a limit on when the system will stop recording if it hits a target pre-set voltage so you don't drained the battery completely. Thinkware has the best parking mode systems in my opinion. Installation is easy, just make sure to get the hardwire kit if you want the parking mode to work.
Managed to get this connected via hardwire. But can't seem to get the phones hotspot connected with it. Just doesn't seem to want to connect. And how do I get remote notification to work?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #14
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW

Quote:
Managed to get this connected via hardwire. But can't seem to get the phones hotspot connected with it. Just doesn't seem to want to connect. And how do I get remote notification to work?
I typically only use wifi to review or save recordings. They don't have LTE built in, so there is no way to connect for remote notifications unless you leave a separate hotspot enabled device in the vehicle which isn't anything I'm interested in doing. I purchased our cameras primarily to prove accident liability and for some protection against vandalism.

There are a few videos on youtube regarding the "cloud" features which I think is a lot of hype considering most people don't leave their phones in the car or want to purchase an additional hotspot enabled device.

This system almost came in handy a few months ago when some idiot almost caused an accident on the highway. Excuse the language!

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #15
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Cabin fuse box (z44) is located under the dashboard in the right side footwell.
see attached image. BMW have conveniently grouped fuses for us

Slot f59 should be empty. its allocated for acc.

Tap into any fuse circled yellow if you need continuous/ permanent power to run dashcam whist car is off/ parked, but you car will display an annoying battery drain notification!.
Attached Images

Last edited by mittu; 12-03-2021 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #16
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Ive hardwired my thinkware dashcam straight to the battery and used f59 fuse slot for acc.. Did it myself. Bits only cost me £5.
It's been 6 months and ran flawlessly so far.

Will be the same for any dash cam that requires continuous power.

Tapping into a fuse for continuous power (enable parking mode features) causes an annoying battery drain notification.

dashcam manufactures/ retailers will tell you to buy an external dashcam battery module, which only last about 8-10hrs per charge and costs £200 ($250) + installation.

It cost me £5 and I did it myself!
Decent cameras have a built in voltage cut-off so you can safely leave your car off with it in parking mode for 2-3 weeks without fear of draining your battery.

It's pretty straightforward. wiring is simple.
Im not a "car guy", so if I can do it, then others can too.

It'll take 2hrs. Well worth it, and can be used for future dash cams/ other devices you'd like to power when the car is off.

for an additional £5 I installed a 12v socket in the boot + discrete usb out for powering GPS tracker and 4G wifi hotspot.

Last edited by mittu; 12-03-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #17
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Thinkware do not **just** have hardwire to a permanent live - it also needs one to acc, so it is not just as simple as direct to a battery.
Getting those two lives in correct orientation is very important.

I have no issue with connecting to the hotspot - I activate the Wifi on the camera, then go to the phone settings and connect to it.
One thing that really bugs me (small issue) is when you need to re format the card, I will let you discover that one for yourself!
Appreciate 0