BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Done with my 530e( or maybe not, isssue identified)

07-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

530e VDC vibrations in car and wheels(solved)

(Title updated to help those with same issue read full posts to see solutions)

Long term BMW owner here and as some of you know I have been battling road vibrations on my 2017 530e m sport with VDC on staggered 20s for months ever since purchased last December.

Well I'm done the car is getting sold ASAP as it's frankly either designed wrong or BMW can't fix it but either way I'm done wasting cash to get a car that should be smooth and stable to work.

I have to date done the following to try correct shaking and instability on motorways and in town spending over 6000 euro with BMW to date.

Pity as it's a stunning car with every extra option and I had planned to keep it for 5 years at least.

New brake pads and discs( solved shaking when braking)
All bushings checked no findings
New tyres non RFT installed no change
Alignment KDS
Balanced
New OEM wheels with RFT ( reduced highway vibrations but left car very jittery in town on uneven surfaces)
Checked alignment at BMW and two other locations
Balanced again
Checked all subframe mounts and installed new bolts
Checked all shocks
Checked all hubs for runout
Installed new MP4S and I'm back to square one vibrating on highway again and only tiny improvement in town.
Balanced all wheels again no change.

Only item ever noted by me or BMW in months of checking and video recording including boroscope of all mounts not easily accessed was some small tears in the rear diff mounts but according to BMW it's not the issue.

WTF is wrong with this heap of crap car.

My old E92 was perfect as is my wife's X1.

Last edited by CnSky; 07-25-2021 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Long term BMW owner here and as some of you know I have been battling road vibrations on my 2017 530e m sport with VDC on staggered 20s for months ever since purchased last December.

Well I'm done the car is getting sold ASAP as it's frankly either designed wrong or BMW can't fix it but either way I'm done wasting cash to get a car that should be smooth and stable to work.

I have to date done the following to try correct shaking and instability on motorways and in town spending over 6000 euro with BMW to date.

Pity as it's a stunning car with every extra option and I had planned to keep it for 5 years at least.

Alignment KDS
Balanced
New OEM wheels with RFT ( reduced highway vibrations but left car very jittery in town on uneven surfaces)
Balanced again
Checked all shocks
Installed new MP4S and I'm back to square one vibrating on highway again and only tiny improvement in town.

Only item ever noted by me or BMW in months of checking and video recording including boroscope of all mounts not easily accessed was some small tears in the rear diff mounts but according to BMW it's not the issue.

Well, the car is not new and who knows what the previous owner did with it. Can't blame BMW if someone was abusing it, unless it was certified? How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

40k miles and full BMW service history. No crash damage or respray and only damage found was a buckled alloy.

I feel you can blame BMW when they can't diagnose their own product after spending 6k, I'm not asking them to fix it for free happy to pay but they literally can't figure out what's wrong which concerns me to a point that I won't buy their product any more.

All the work I did was based on their instruction to date and I'm back at the start with the same issue.

BMW is a German top marquee brand are we really at a point where if your not in warranty which is three years in Europe that you shouldn't buy one in case even BMW can't fix it.

Losing faith in them as they are now so far from what they used to be in terms of customer support and design engineering it just seems dangerous to keep buying their products, another throw away consumer product it seems.

Off to buy an older Porsche I think at least they can be repaired when things go wrong.

QUOTE=AmooManiak;27805287]
Quote:

Alignment KDS
Balanced
Balanced again
Checked all shocks

Well, the car is not new and who knows what the previous owner did with it. Can't blame BMW if someone was abusing it, unless it was certified? How many miles?[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
40k miles and full BMW service history. No crash damage or respray and only damage found was a buckled alloy.

I feel you can blame BMW when they can't diagnose their own product after spending 6k, I'm not asking them to fix it for free happy to pay but they literally can't figure out what's wrong which concerns me to a point that I won't buy their product any more.

All the work I did was based on their instruction to date and I'm back at the start with the same issue.

BMW is a German top marquee brand are we really at a point where if your not in warranty which is three years in Europe that you shouldn't buy one in case even BMW can't fix it.

Losing faith in them as they are now so far from what they used to be in terms of customer support and design engineering it just seems dangerous to keep buying their products, another throw away consumer product it seems.

Off to buy an older Porsche I think at least they can be repaired when things go wrong.

QUOTE=AmooManiak;27805287]

Well, the car is not new and who knows what the previous owner did with it. Can't blame BMW if someone was abusing it, unless it was certified? How many miles?
Glad you are swapping out. You have wrestled with a lot.

My 530e has been flawless. Not that it helps you any.

Lemon laws exist for a reason. Sometimes you have a car that has issues that can’t be easily repaired. In this case, you have a used car that also has an unknown history. Even with service records not all abuse is recorded. I am also sure not all accident repairs are reported either.

You can try another car or brand. Life is too short to spend it at the mechanic.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Yeah, if they claimed to know what needs to be done to fix it and take $6k, they better fix it. I cant blame BMW as a brand there though, as it seems to be an issue with that dealership. I feel like cars are getting harder and harder to fix. If a dealership told me that a specifix fix will resolve an issue, they better make sure it does.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:29 AM   #6
spoink47
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I feel sorry you are done with your 530e
I had the pleasure to drive this car and never thought it would turn out like that for anyone
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
IrishG30Guy
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Which dealership have you been using?

A guy I know was having issues with his BMW. He was using one dealership in Dublin and had to go back multiple times as they didn't know what was wrong and couldn't diagnose the issue.
So he brought to another dealership and they diagnosed the issue straight away.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Using Enniscorthy but would go elsewhere if it worked.

Any recommendations.

QUOTE=IrishG30Guy;27807262]Which dealership have you been using?

A guy I know was having issues with his BMW. He was using one dealership in Dublin and had to go back multiple times as they didn't know what was wrong and couldn't diagnose the issue.
So he brought to another dealership and they diagnosed the issue straight away.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

So weird thing happened today.

I went to a fifth balance and alignment place where an old engineer listened to my story and he decided that he would try to put balancing crystals in the wheels as they do in trucks.

It worked the wheels are balanced and the vibration has changed completely.

Here where it gets weird - the shaking comes and goes as I drive I get what feels like imbalance shaking for 3 seconds then it goes away and then it comes back.

It builds then falls constantly.Anyone ever experience this.

I'm lost as to what that could be maybe diff problem, a bad hub or a bushing but I would expect constant shaking in the case of a bushing.

I also bought a NVH app and ran it which clearly indicating the shake is from the rear wheel area.

It also picks up minor drive train and engine shakes but they align to gear changes etc and only happens once or twice in a 5 min drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #10
IrishG30Guy
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

[QUOTE=CnSky;27807269]Using Enniscorthy but would go elsewhere if it worked.

Any recommendations.

I would try Joe Duffy's here in Finglas. As I mentioned one of the guys in our edrive Ireland whatsapp group had an issue with his car. Frank Keane was useless as I said. Another guy in the group suggested Duffy's and issue was solved that day he brought his car in.

Would hate to see you get rid of such a lovely spec'd car. Im loving mine not that it helps.
Also feel free to pm me.
Appreciate 1
CnSky328.50
      07-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #11
pickigar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 530d Msport Xdrive

Have you tried rod force balancing yet? I have the same issue, and it is believed to be resonance in the rear suspension. Known issue, where bigger cars like the X5 are now fitted with tuned blocks on the suspension arms. I have been chasing h
The vibrations, through different wheels and tyres, went with the Michelin’s and initially worse. I was at my wit’s end, then had the tyres road force balanced, and all but gone apart from around 80mph… much much better… would recommend it strongly if you haven’t had it done before/yet…. I think this issue is a case of tolerances at a build stage and some are just unlucky…
Appreciate 1
CnSky328.50
      07-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I may try Joe Duffy in that case if I can't solve it.

I plan to change wheel bearing and drive shaft next week as a last ditch effort but should get road force done before.

Can you ask the guys in the group is anyone knows of a road force balancer apart from discount tyres dublin in the country as their machine is down for maintenance for a few weeks.

Will travel anywhere happily.

I haven't done RFB on the new alloys so will try it.

QUOTE=IrishG30Guy;27810268]
Quote:
Using Enniscorthy but would go elsewhere if it worked.

Any recommendations.

I would try Joe Duffy's here in Finglas. As I mentioned one of the guys in our edrive Ireland whatsapp group had an issue with his car. Frank Keane was useless as I said. Another guy in the group suggested Duffy's and issue was solved that day he brought his car in.

Would hate to see you get rid of such a lovely spec'd car. Im loving mine not that it helps.
Also feel free to pm me.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
X5Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Car not sold yet? You said you was selling it ASAP.

I'd say sell it and move on. Sounds like a never ending chase to find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Guy View Post
Car not sold yet? You said you was selling it ASAP.

I'd say sell it and move on. Sounds like a never ending chase to find the problem.

It's up for sale but thing move at a slower pace here in Ireland.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Hopefully you sell it sooner than later, and move onto the next dream car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #16
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

The problem with dream cars is there is always anther one just around the corner.

It's a sickness I guess but a fun one!!

I'm thinking a Porsche but an old one as I do enjoy the maintenance work, there is also a BMW M3 CSL for sale in ireland right hand drive super rare but they want 120k.

QUOTE=akuwes710;27812116]Hopefully you sell it sooner than later, and move onto the next dream car.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #17
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...l-smg/27878172
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:22 PM   #18
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
E46!! I hope you hang around here in a BMW, I've enjoyed your contributions.
      07-16-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I will definitely be hanging around as I have a F48 on the driveway and a strange obsession with the I8 if I'm honest.

Would have one of it had normal doors and a larger trunk/boot but even with the gull wing doors I'm still tempted.

Going to have one last attempt to fix the G30 but I'm doing it myself this time, road force balancing, new drive shaft and bearing and a DTI to check everything for runout. Maybe it works if not it's gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 03:51 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

If different wheels, tyres and various balancing changes the vibrations, I'd be very tempted to stick with the wheels and mounting to the hubs.

I can't remember all the details of your wheel trials, but didn't BMW fit a set which temporarily sorted the vibrations?

DTI on all the mounting hub faces, would be my first call.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #21
beerman80
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Sorry if this has been asked/answered, have you had a chance to drive another similar 530e to rule out that is just how the car is? Would be such a pity for you to stick all this money, time, and effort into something that can't be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #22
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Hi Pete the new alloys solved my motorway issue but the car has remained jittery in town at low speeds so I changed to new MpS4S and back to square one so something other than the wheels is the problem.

I always felt it wasn't a wheel issue in that brand new wheels and tyres helped but the feeling was still there all along.

Reply starting to lean towards the hub and half shaft so will change then and then give up if it doesn't correct the problem.

QUOTE=HighlandPete;27813067]If different wheels, tyres and various balancing changes the vibrations, I'd be very tempted to stick with the wheels and mounting to the hubs.

I can't remember all the details of your wheel trials, but didn't BMW fit a set which temporarily sorted the vibrations?

DTI on all the mounting hub faces, would be my first call.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0