BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Done with my 530e( or maybe not, isssue identified)

07-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #45
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Anyone able to check ISTA for me?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #46
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

The saga continues but things are looking better I’m halfway to a full repair. (no thanks to BMW as I figured it all out myself)
I installed a new front left shock today by myself (not fun) and it didn’t make much of a difference to the instability and skittish drive around town, The 6ma leak on the front left shock remained so I assumed it must be the VDP module for the EDCs.
So I decided to go nuclear and installed a used VDP module I had also purchased (in case the shock wasn’t the problem) and I had Kubax86 (that guy is a coding legend) log in and code it then flash to latest software firmware version.
The amp leak to the single shock was an indication that the VDP was toast and after the replaced VDP was installed all shocks now received amps even at park.
Kubax86 also cleared any fault codes after the flash that guys is brilliant I would advise anyone with a weird issue to let him have a look as it was the best 100 buck I spent so far.
I had to do a ride height adjustment which I did myself as it required measurements taken an input via ISTA to tell the new VDP what level ground and distance form alloy edge to fender arch was.
Went for a drive and finally the car now drives in town like a BMW should no shaking or rear tail wag over uneven surfaces and the EDC system is clearly working again as in I can notice the difference between Sport and comfort.
I’m having a new aux battery also installed this week by BMW as if its aged like mine it can cause the VDP to switch of completely when in electric mode in town.
So remining issue is the vibration on the motorway in my seat from 110KM+. Its definitely coming from the Drive shaft as I bought a NVH app and its indicated 2 and 3rd order vibrations I’m guessing the CDB or Guido is gone and as luck would have it (I planned ahead again) I have both CSB and Guido brand new in the shed and also new engine and GB mounts.
Will have them all fitted next week and fingers crossed car is finally driving correctly in town and on the motorway.
Will report back then.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #47
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
The saga continues but things are looking better I’m halfway to a full repair. (no thanks to BMW as I figured it all out myself)
I installed a new front left shock today by myself (not fun) and it didn’t make much of a difference to the instability and skittish drive around town, The 6ma leak on the front left shock remained so I assumed it must be the VDP module for the EDCs.
So I decided to go nuclear and installed a used VDP module I had also purchased (in case the shock wasn’t the problem) and I had Kubax86 (that guy is a coding legend) log in and code it then flash to latest software firmware version.
The amp leak to the single shock was an indication that the VDP was toast and after the replaced VDP was installed all shocks now received amps even at park.
Kubax86 also cleared any fault codes after the flash that guys is brilliant I would advise anyone with a weird issue to let him have a look as it was the best 100 buck I spent so far.
I had to do a ride height adjustment which I did myself as it required measurements taken an input via ISTA to tell the new VDP what level ground and distance form alloy edge to fender arch was.
Went for a drive and finally the car now drives in town like a BMW should no shaking or rear tail wag over uneven surfaces and the EDC system is clearly working again as in I can notice the difference between Sport and comfort.
I’m having a new aux battery also installed this week by BMW as if its aged like mine it can cause the VDP to switch of completely when in electric mode in town.
So remining issue is the vibration on the motorway in my seat from 110KM+. Its definitely coming from the Drive shaft as I bought a NVH app and its indicated 2 and 3rd order vibrations I’m guessing the CDB or Guido is gone and as luck would have it (I planned ahead again) I have both CSB and Guido brand new in the shed and also new engine and GB mounts.
Will have them all fitted next week and fingers crossed car is finally driving correctly in town and on the motorway.
Will report back then.
It really sucks that no one on here is able to help you with providing data and information on their cars but it's also possible they are not tech-savvy when it comes to their cars and don't know how to pull that info from their cars and equipment, just like me.

But it's good to see you make your way through the diagnostics, although you shouldn't have to and the techs at the dealership should be able to diagnose and fix it for you instead of passing the buck.

Good to see you're making some headway with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:39 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Will report back then.
I admire your tenacity, you are getting there, well done.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #49
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Great job. I wish I could help (and i saw your other thread), but I don't have the car and I wouldn't know how to use the software even if I did. Free bump.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #50
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I'm just impressed with you sticking it out and not going office space on the car.

I don't have the variable dampers and many a time, i've had to look up what you were referring to. Serious kudos for the perseverance. Glad to see it's starting to pay off.

I have to say though - it feels like the car is over-engineered to the point where even the dealership staff can't figure it out and they're supposed to be trained on it...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #51
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

This is my general feeling also, the cars have become too complicated even for the BMW mechanics.

I also discovers that a longitudinal sensor for the DSC is constantly showing negative G and is noted as unreliable but once again the system doesn't kick CEL or even a fault when scanned you have to find this yourself.

See image below.

Considering it feeds into the stability program and DSC I'm going to also change it. It's in the B pillar behind the passenger seat but can't find the damn part number anywhere.

QUOTE=packet;27912339]I'm just impressed with you sticking it out and not going office space on the car.

I don't have the variable dampers and many a time, i've had to look up what you were referring to. Serious kudos for the perseverance. Glad to see it's starting to pay off.

I have to say though - it feels like the car is over-engineered to the point where even the dealership staff can't figure it out and they're supposed to be trained on it...[/QUOTE]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      08-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #52
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Managed to solve the sensor issue with a sensor reset on level ground.

New battery tomorrow and next Tuesday all new mounts.

Fingers crossed!!
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      08-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #53
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Managed to solve the sensor issue with a sensor reset on level ground.

New battery tomorrow and next Tuesday all new mounts.

Fingers crossed!!
Good luck with the new battery and mounts.

How much $$'s have you put into that car? is it getting near the point where you will just move on from it?
      08-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #54
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

If the new mounts don't sort the vibration in the floor at speed I'm done.

Will have spend about 8k in total but some was from the previous seller under warranty and some good will from BMW.

I'm in for about 4.5k personally after doing what BMW told me to which never fixed the issue.

Mind you if it does work the car will be like new.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #55
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Car is finally sorted.

It was a combination of the following (compressed story as it was over 8 months)

Started with shaking when braking which was found to be run out brakes had them all replaced.1.2k cost

I then started to notice constant shaking in town and on motorway but different frequencies. Felt like car was shaking from everywhere and over reacting to any surface imperfection.

Bad alloys from manufacture were identified (759i)which I swapped after having refurbished them and trying hankook non RFT tyres on. It was traced to non centric alloys but BMW wouldn't help as I had already had them refurbished.3.6k cost for new alloys and 1.5 k for tyres and refurb of original alloys.

Then I changed the tyres to softer non RFTs on BMW advice to try stop crashy ride in town but that made it worse on motorway and didn't help crashy ride in town.1.2k cost but I'm getting a free swap per the Michelin warranty to a spare set of PS3s.

Before solving the motorway shaking I was sick of unstable ride in town so discovered the dampers were not receiving voltage which leads me to finding a bad VDP unit which I changed. 600 euro.

Also the bad BDP had killed my additional battery which must be working on a 530e as it powers the VDP module in electric mode.

Changed it also 300 Euro.

That lead to perfect driving in town at low speed.

Motorway harmonic issue remained.

That is now traced to the MPS4S tyres which can cause this so went back to my original set of PS3.

So I'm in for 2 sets of alloys 3 sets of tyres a new VDP and I also swapped one shock which didn't make a difference. A new battery. Also 5 alignments and 5 balances including 2 RFB. Also spend another 1k with BMW checking everything else including the sub frame.

So about 8k euro spent to fix it of which 3k -4K was pointless.

BMW don't have a clue they literally didn't believe me and said it was balance alignment, wheel issues or I wasn't used to 20s but I knew something wasn't right it didn't ride like a BMW at all.

I bought a NVH vibration app 100 Euro which lead me in the right direction and also did 30 videos of all areas of the car suspension when driving. Then set myself up with ISTA and bingo found the problem in 5 mins by asking the VDP to scope the dampers for voltage l, it was only flowing to one damper and was erratic. Why BMW didn't check this is unbelievable it was so simple.

If they had identified the VDP back in February I would have saved about 4K.

My advice is use an Indy for anything other than standard servicing.

My motto is "never let and inanimate object win" so I stuck with it but I guess most would have traded it in.
Appreciate 4
G50888.50
Flamingi529.50
BBDDVV10.50
      08-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #56
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30 2018

Oh I'm glad for you, you were able to resolve this issue.

I'm been in the same boat, I've a 540i with VDC as a selected option.
Recently changed the wheels - as I thought it was due to my 21" (so switched to BMW std 20" stagged setup) I had vibrations. But it only seemed to worsen the issue.

About two weeks ago I did an alignment - the shop executing mentioned (only 0.xx degree offset) I would be stupid to touch it - I did anyways (I wanted to exclude).
Issues remained, so I've found a shop near that performed Roadforce balancing - although it seems a bit less (and they did have to do some rotating onto the rim) - vibrations were still there.

Tomorrow my first appointment at the dealer.
I want them specifically to look at hubs, (axle) shafts and the diff, but I will let them add the VDP to it.

I'm experiencing the vibrations over 100 km/h (~ 60 mi/h), with and without throttle, with and without TCS on.
If they can't find it, I'll definitely checkout the VDP stuff myself with ISTA (saw your requests for info, just joined the "vibrations club") and check your findings.

Either way, thanks for your write-ups - they will definitely help people!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #57
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

100% ask them to interrogate the VDP and make sure that current between 2-3 amps is going to each VDC at park. Also ask them to make sure your ride height is properly adjusted. Also make sure your additional battery is not aged as it will shut down VDP. And finally check all lately longitudinal and vertical sensors are reliable in the DAC module.

It literally takes 3 minutes to check all the above when they are plugged in and can save a ton of wasted time.

Remember it doesn't kick a code even in ISTA unless the shock is physically disconnected which also kicks an iDrive CEL so unlikely that's your problem if your not getting chassis errors in idrive. Also unreliable sensors don't kick a ISTA code either. The aged battery does show in ISTA.

The shocks just go hard if the VDP is broken and if only one is receiving amps (as on my car) then you have 3 hard and one soft shock.

What tyres are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #58
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Based on what You have done I'd say it's your tyres VDP is more and issue at slow speed in town the car over reacts to any imperfect surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:34 PM   #59
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Mike this may help.

How to check the shocks in ISTA via the VDP module.

https://youtube.com/shorts/g-XT0d3yr6s?feature=share

This was when they were not working due the failed VDP, note only one has amps flowing but they should all show amps and be between 2-3 when at standstill.

Note on your 540i I believe there are also acceleration sensors on each wheel arch area so check that they are also reading correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #60
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Mike this may help.

This was when they were not working due the failed VDP, note only one has amps flowing but they should all show amps and be between 2-3 when at standstill.

Note on your 540i I believe there are also acceleration sensors on each wheel arch area so check that they are also reading correctly.
Quote:
100% ask them to interrogate the VDP and make sure that current between 2-3 amps is going to each VDC at park. Also ask them to make sure your ride height is properly adjusted. Also make sure your additional battery is not aged as it will shut down VDP. And finally check all lately longitudinal and vertical sensors are reliable in the DAC module.

What tyres are you running?
I've asked them to check the VDP, including it's ampdraw and the ride height.
The service manager looked at me with glazy eyes, so he had no idea what I was talking about, but he wrote it down (hopefully the mechanic understands...) - if not I will check it myself

I'm running Vredestein Ultrac Vorti+, with sizes that match the regular BMW size table for 20". Only difference is I'm not running RFT, as those tires suck ().

Quote:
Based on what You have done I'd say it's your tyres VDP is more and issue at slow speed in town the car over reacts to any imperfect surface.
BMW will probably roadforce check the wheel/tire combo again, so hopefully that can be excluded...

Quote:
Mike this may help.

Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely check it out if the dealer isn't able to pin it down. Great level of detail!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 06:55 AM   #61
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I'd be concerned with the tyres.

I had RFB done and still had highway harmonic vibrations that rose and fell over a 3 seconds cycle.

Is that what your getting!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #62
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Seems you are finally in a good place although a hefty investment financially and in time. Glad you got this sorted out, I definitely would have dumped it for lack of patience.
      08-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #63
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Well the last thing to do is a RFB in the old tyres now they are back on.

And seems there is a tiny buckle in one wheel now, can't remember hitting anything though, typical. So will have that corrected also.

Already eyeing up a different car as I'm not sold on long term reliability on the G30 and my motoring need have permanently changed due COVID I only do about 250km a week where I used to do about 500.

There a nice X6M 2017 model for sale here in ireland that has caught my eye, I swear it's only for the practicality!!!! Not the engine!! It all about the family!! Not the speed and noise!!

At least that's what I'm telling my wife!!
Appreciate 1
BBDDVV10.50
      08-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #64
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Well the last thing to do is a RFB in the old tyres now they are back on.

And seems there is a tiny buckle in one wheel now, can't remember hitting anything though, typical. So will have that corrected also.

Already eyeing up a different car as I'm not sold on long term reliability on the G30 and my motoring need have permanently changed due COVID I only do about 250km a week where I used to do about 500.

There a nice X6M 2017 model for sale here in ireland that has caught my eye, I swear it's only for the practicality!!!! Not the engine!! It all about the family!! Not the speed and noise!!

At least that's what I'm telling my wife!!
Ha! That's the story and stick with it! Then jump on that bad boy:-)

But after all this heartburn, stress and money....why didn't you just trade it months ago? You aren't going to get your money back on the trade or sale....and the dealer would have given you the same value before you put $8,000 into it.
      08-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #65
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

BMW blames it on the rim/tire combo (which is BMW style, not BMW-original), as expected... They said the suspension and all was checked, and nothing was at fault.

Will soon test with my original set, which I still have laying around.
Also I will check your suggestions/findings, to see whether it's applicable to my car.
I'll be back ;-).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #66
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

That's exactly what they told me and it's wasn't the case.

That said I still think your tyres may be the problem they have to be structurally very strong and have a perfect profile of they cause shaking. Hence * marked are the key.

QUOTE=Mikej0h;27934238]BMW blames it on the rim/tire combo (which is BMW style, not BMW-original), as expected... They said the suspension and all was checked, and nothing was at fault.

Will soon test with my original set, which I still have laying around.
Also I will check your suggestions/findings, to see whether it's applicable to my car.
I'll be back ;-).[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0