BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions pre LCI battery charging in a 530e

11-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #45
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

The learning curve on all this tech is rather bigger than I thought, but no doubt becomes second nature.
Having months to go while waiting is going to be needed.
I know of someone (I think on the 3 series forum) that says the mileage indicator for battery is best thought of as a random number generator.
Whether that improves with usage and the car learns I have no idea.
Another app Im going to be needing then.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #46
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonD View Post
The learning curve on all this tech is rather bigger than I thought, but no doubt becomes second nature.
I know of someone (I think on the 3 series forum) that says the mileage indicator for battery is best thought of as a random number generator.
I agree which is why I will be focusing on how many electrons I am putting in when the battery is "depleted". On the 9.2 KWh battery pack, it should be a bit north of 7 KWh and the BMW app gives me an approximation of what is going in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #47
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I think it is fairly accurate if your driving is fairly consistent. Being in sport mode constantly hitting the gas for fun and then braking and then hitting it again to zoom around is much harder to estimate than driving at a consistent speed.

I had a long drive up from VA overnight and went through DE and didn’t take 95 back up to the Philly area. Anyway, I hit a stretch where I needed fuel, but every gas station I passed was closed at 2AM. Being from the Philly area I’m not used to going over 50 miles without an open gas station… Car gave me all kinds of warnings about low fuel and reduced power and all that jazz. Anyway, I got to the gas station with under 1 mile of range due to EV regenerative braking and all that and put in 12 gallons of fuel into a 12.1 gallon tank. It was pretty much bone dry and the range estimates were accurate. But I had been doing highway driving for hundreds of miles at this point.

I don’t recommend repeating that scenario though. I definitely haven’t.
Appreciate 3
SonD325.00
ted99242.00
      11-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #48
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
I agree which is why I will be focusing on how many electrons I am putting in when the battery is "depleted". On the 9.2 KWh battery pack, it should be a bit north of 7 KWh and the BMW app gives me an approximation of what is going in.
Steve how man KWh are you showing now on a full charge in your MyBMW app?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #49
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
If hyou mean how many electrons did I put in, it is too early to tell. According to the App I put in 6 KWh on Sunday and 5 KWh on Monday. I need a number of days to get a better read.

If you mean the range estimate, it is around 12 miles but, again, too early to tell. My driving is variable...sometimes all on local roads, sometimes on high speed highways and sometimes both. I do tend to drive briskly.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #50
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Quote:
If hyou mean how many electrons did I put in, it is too early to tell. According to the App I put in 6 KWh on Sunday and 5 KWh on Monday. I need a number of days to get a better read.

If you mean the range estimate, it is around 12 miles but, again, too early to tell. My driving is variable...sometimes all on local roads, sometimes on high speed highways and sometimes both. I do tend to drive briskly.
Got it, yeah I'm maxing out on 6KHw on my charges. Only ever hit 7 once but getting around 15-16 miles on range
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #51
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it, yeah I'm maxing out on 6KHw on my charges. Only ever hit 7 once but getting around 15-16 miles on range
I was down to about 9-10 mile estimate on electric range. Since the replacement battery pack I am getting 13 which is probably a fair estimate given how I drive (I drive briskly).

Well...I am now getting a full 16 miles of range. Today I drove 12.7 miles and still had 4 miles of range left. Half highway, half city driving. I did drive a little slower for the first part of the city drive portion (45 instead of 55 mph because there was a cop behind me).

Big change after getting the battery pack replaced.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 12-06-2021 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: additional information
Appreciate 1
nicky dj344.50
      11-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #52
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
I was down to about 9-10 mile estimate on electric range. Since the replacement battery pack I am getting 13 which is probably a fair estimate given how I drive (I drive briskly).

Well...I am now getting a full 16 miles of range. Today I drove 12.7 miles and still had 4 miles of range left. Half highway, half city driving. I did drive a little slower for the first part of the city drive portion (45 instead of 55 mph because there was a cop behind me).

Big change after getting the battery pack replaced.
What are you getting the myBmw app?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #53
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
What are you getting the myBmw app?
It has been varying between 5 & 7, I (well, my electrician) installed a 50 amp charger in my garage yesterday to replace my 20 amp charger as I plan to go full electric. As of now, waiting on a Lucid Air Pure. If the I4 M50 were a little less ugly, or had a range in excess of 300 miles, it would definitely be in play. But it isn't and doesn't unfortunately as I do love how my BMW drives. The I5 might yet keep me in the BMW family.
Appreciate 3
ted99242.00