BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Ordering advice for an 540i

11-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #23
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Given where we are in the world now, cop26 etc etc, I wonder if the next 5 will have a 550. (It maybe a 6 cylinder / hybrid for all we know)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #24
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookBothWays View Post
I'm leaning toward ordering a 540 in time for a spring delivery.

The two options I am a bit concerned with are the Sensatec seats and non M Sport brakes but I'm sure they will be fine.
I got out of my 540i lease this summer and I'm kind of kicking myself now. It's a great car, comfortable, great highway MPG. It was fairly basic with just premium and 19" wheels, and that was fine. Later I drove a 2021 with the Sensatec and until I looked at the window sticker I would never have known it wasn't leather.

M sport brakes look cool and probably stop the car a bit better, but truly, that's marketing overkill unless you plan to drive on the track. Or you just like how they look.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #25
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Quote:
I see some incentives are available for November but from what I gather they aren't usually offered in the springtime, hope I'm wrong.

The two options I am a bit concerned with are the Sensatec seats and non M Sport brakes but I'm sure they will be fine.
The best incentives during a model year cycle tend to be Nov and Dec. Don't forget you can lock in a rebate or interest rate with like a 60 day look back as you are waiting for delivery.

No problem with Sensatec seats if trying to save money- they are engineered to wear very well, but my suspicion is you will regret not having M Sport brakes with M Sport trim and may hurt eventual resale.
      11-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #26
LookBothWays
Private
Rep
Drives: Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
The best incentives during a model year cycle tend to be Nov and Dec. Don't forget you can lock in a rebate or interest rate with like a 60 day look back as you are waiting for delivery.

No problem with Sensatec seats if trying to save money- they are engineered to wear very well, but my suspicion is you will regret not having M Sport brakes with M Sport trim and may hurt eventual resale.
I did not know that. Perhaps I should order and hope the rebate will be repeated in December which should cover the delivery date. I would hope a simple build like mine should go through in the 9 to 10 week period which would give a bit of leeway or not?.

I must admit the blue M Sport brakes look mighty fine but then again I like that the car is a sleeper, not that it's a racer but it doesn't pretend to be without the brakes. Trying to get a handle on these but from what I've read they produce more dust so I guess they will be more friable and wear more quickly? I dunno.

Sales people are only working partial weeks so any back and forth is taking longer than anticipated. Glad I started this last month now if they would drop the protection package add on we might be near ordering.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #27
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The M Sport brakes are made by Brembo. More dust from M Sport brakes is true... but welcome to BMW you're gonna get brake dust either way. After you go through your first set of OEM pads, several owners will replace with Akebono, Hawk, or EBC Redstuff pads all of which are ceramic and have much less dust.

Also, I forgot to mention that when ordering Sensatec seats unfortunately I don't think you can get them in multi-contour. Jeez, maybe you can't even get multi-contour in Dakota any more which is kinda crazy. Many owners here including me will tell you that there is a dramatic difference in seating comfort between the standard seats and the multi-contour. You should at least go sit in those standard seats for a while and make sure you find them acceptable. Seating comfort should be a top priority. If you are unfamiliar with how to tell the different seat types apart then just look at the headrest. For trying to save money don't worry about seat ventilation as the seat fans only gently blow cabin air not cold air. Also don't worry about the massage feature as I'd have to say the massage bladders make the seat a bit harder, and the massage is not that impressive.

You sure you don't want to find a nice CPO with multi-contour seats? So many compromises right now with no parking cameras available and only sport seats unless you pay for Nappa.
      11-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #28
Duane_in_Chicago
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540i

Quote:
I've gotten a lot of good information and not just from this thread. I'm changeable as the weather but at the moment I'm leaning toward ordering a 540 in time for a spring delivery. A 550 may be in my future depending on the market in a few years but for now I'm looking forward to a 540.

I see some incentives are available for November but from what I gather they aren't usually offered in the springtime, hope I'm wrong.

I would order now if you can if you want to have your car by the spring. I'm going on week 10 of my order and my 540i has been sitting in the Bremerhaven port for three weeks. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #29
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Quote:
The M Sport brakes are made by Brembo. More dust from M Sport brakes is true... but welcome to BMW you're gonna get brake dust either way. After you go through your first set of OEM pads, several owners will replace with Akebono, Hawk, or EBC Redstuff pads all of which are ceramic and have much less dust.

Also, I forgot to mention that when ordering Sensatec seats unfortunately I don't think you can get them in multi-contour. Jeez, maybe you can't even get multi-contour in Dakota any more which is kinda crazy. Many owners here including me will tell you that there is a dramatic difference in seating comfort between the standard seats and the multi-contour. You should at least go sit in those standard seats for a while and make sure you find them acceptable. Seating comfort should be a top priority. If you are unfamiliar with how to tell the different seat types apart then just look at the headrest. For trying to save money don't worry about seat ventilation as the seat fans only gently blow cabin air not cold air. Also don't worry about the massage feature as I'd have to say the massage bladders make the seat a bit harder, and the massage is not that impressive.

You sure you don't want to find a nice CPO with multi-contour seats? So many compromises right now with no parking cameras available and only sport seats unless you pay for Nappa.
Not sure I'd miss the parking pkg but the seats might be. The reason for this vehicle is how uncomfortable the seats in the tahoe can be on long drives.

CPOs are few in my area as are new so features are guesswork. Nothing on the lots and dealers act like they are doing me a favor to order something I haven't seen and at MSRP plus a protection package I don't want and 400 in fees. I hear others complain of worse but I'm used to getting discounts. For another $10 grand I could have a well appointed Escalade but I wanted to go another direction.

Last edited by LookBothWays; 11-04-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #30
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Chicago View Post
I would order now if you can if you want to have your car by the spring. I'm going on week 10 of my order and my 540i has been sitting in the Bremerhaven port for three weeks. Frustrating.
Do you know if it is a particular option that is holding up the delivery?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #31
Duane_in_Chicago
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540i

Quote:
Do you know if it is a particular option that is holding up the delivery?
I checked the BMW Recall Details Tool and it says I still need "Retrofitting the Receiver Audio Module" and then I called the BMW Genius and they said that the Receiver Audio Module isn't holding up the car from getting on the ship, the backlog of cars going to America is what is holding it up... And tracking the ships, typically there is one going to the States every two to three days. It's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:01 PM   #32
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Chicago View Post
I checked the BMW Recall Details Tool and it says I still need "Retrofitting the Receiver Audio Module" and then I called the BMW Genius and they said that the Receiver Audio Module isn't holding up the car from getting on the ship, the backlog of cars going to America is what is holding it up... And tracking the ships, typically there is one going to the States every two to three days. It's crazy.
My understanding is that the missing module will be installed at the VPC after it reaches our shore. My car is also in Bremerhaven waiting for a ship.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #33
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know you were looking for something in a dark graphite sort of color...

Check out this vehicle at BMW of Louisville, KY: https://www.louisvillebmw.com/search...BMW&Model=540i VIN: WBAJE5C50JWA94504

The carfax is clean, it's got most of what you want, and you can scoop it up for less than 40K.

Drive it for a couple years, than trade up or keep it.

Don't think this one has the HK stereo, but there is an aftermarket solution to replace the amp in the trunk and the speakers, and it's all direct fitment plugs and harness sort of stuff with no cutting wires. Could easily have a shop do the install.

No M Sport brakes either, but you're saving over 20 grand.
      11-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #34
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Quote:
I know you were looking for something in a dark graphite sort of color...

Check out this vehicle at BMW of Louisville, KY: https://www.louisvillebmw.com/search...BMW&Model=540i VIN: WBAJE5C50JWA94504

The carfax is clean, it's got most of what you want, and you can scoop it up for less than 40K.

Drive it for a couple years, than trade up or keep it.

Don't think this one has the HK stereo, but there is an aftermarket solution to replace the amp in the trunk and the speakers, and it's all direct fitment plugs and harness sort of stuff with no cutting wires. Could easily have a shop do the install.

No M Sport brakes either, but you're saving over 20 grand.
This is close to what I'm looking for. It's about 3.5 hours away but doable in a day. I just might have to give them a call. thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #35
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

I bought a one-year old CPO 540i with 19k miles on the gauge earlier this year. MSRP 66k, I paid 45k incl shipping. Premium and luxury package. I buy my cars cash and keep them forever (160k miles on an E90). Are you sure you don’t want to consider CPO?

If I read your post, it sounds like you want comfort. I’d recommend to stick to the 18” wheels. They are “low” enough and comfortable. Why pay for an over priced option of 19” and give up comfort? Mind you that future tires will be more expensive too in that size. I’d spend that money on the luxury leather seats. That is the only option that I wanted but couldn’t get… I guess you can’t have it all. Another option I found very useful was the (manual) shades in the back seat and automatic shade for the rear mirror. Pretty essential if you have (or will have) kids. Pay attention to the difference between the comfort and sport package. Sport does not mean “sport suspension” - for that you need the M-package (contrary to the meaning of sport package when I bought my E90!).

Lastly, the x-drive versus 2WD. I thought I didn’t need x-drive either. And you don’t. 2WD is lighter (some 170lb), cheaper in fuel consumption, one thing less that can break, etc. But I underestimated the power of the engine that could create potential wheel spin. Oh well… The power is too much to even reach the limits of the performance on any normal public road anyway. And you and I will not take it to the track.

Like my motorbike track trainer once told me: it is more fun to drive a less powered motorcycle at its limits than an overpowered motorcycle under its limits. If I want to drive sporty, I’d get back in the E90 MT6!

Good luck on making choices.
Appreciate 1
Moji7.50
      11-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #36
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Thanks Marco.

Maybe I haven't searched hard enough but I don't think there are many CPOs that I'd be interested in. I have decided to go with the 540i and plan to order this January. I buy long term as you do and this could be the last vehicle I buy so I want a certain color and mix of options and if that costs more I guess I'd rather have what I want.

I prefer more rubber and less wheel but tire options with the M Sport are 19" and 20". I figure I can always switch out the RFs if the ride isn't what I prefer. Or I can go back and see if the M Sport is something I can live without but some mild performance was one of the primary goals as was comfort.

Leather seats are a $3500 option. I'd prefer to have them but I'm betting the Sensatec is more comfortable than I'm accustomed to though this is something I'm not settled on. Something I like is that the Sensatec seats will match the dash with the Sensatec option. I'm making decisions based on every's input because dealerships have little to nothing to look at. Cars coming in are sold and they don't bother to let me see them.

It sounds like you have Sensatec seats but still prefer the leather?

The x-drive I imagine could save my tail if it gets loose on a switchback. I have a mountain destination as one of my travels and why I want something more fun than an suv. Would be nice to hit a test track before ordering.

If I weren't trying to at least pretend to have a budget I'd just add those options but why not a couple more and soon enough it's another 10 grand. Just trying to keep it reasonable but at the same time not regret missing something.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #37
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

I understand that you like to get exactly what you want. I'm like that, but sometimes have to point myself to the Rolling Stone's song 'You Can't Always Get Want You Want; You Get What You Need'... My budget is not limitless either.

My point was, if you want comfort, are you sure you want the M-package? I have the M-package on the E90. That was fun when I was 30 but now, 15 years later, family car, road trips etc., I deliberately chose not to take that package. Admittedly, the road handling of a non-M-package is less but still pretty damn good. And how often do you really drive the car to its limits? Is that worth the extra money for the M-package? I'd rather have more comfort over the numerous potholes. In addition, the car is slightly taller so (if you're getting older) it will be easier to get in and out of.

I have the Dakota leather. I had wanted the Nappa leather with seat ventilation. That would have made a real difference. Those were just not available in combination with the automatic rear window blinds/shades that I really wanted. With the luxury package, the dashboard is also from matching Dakota leather.

The x-drive 'could' be useful in the mountains but I solve that by using snow tires in winter (and summer (not all-season!) in summer). And if you're talking real mountains, like the Alps in Europe, you're best off with show chains. I've experienced that the Italian police stopped all cars in Cervinia (regardless of four-wheel drive) without snow chains... My friends and I in an old 1.4 liter 60hp VW Golf WITH snow chains on summer tires continued; those in fancy 200+hp SUVs with snow tires had to buy snow chains or wait for better weather... LOL. My CPO G30 came with all-season runflats but as soon as they are worn out, I'll switch to true summer and true winter tires. But if you consider yourself a good driver, you'll be just as good in a 2WD as in a 4WD car.

Last edited by m@rco; 11-18-2021 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #38
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

I am beginning to wonder if I have an accurate idea of how M Sport in the LCI may ride. In a Car and Driver review the author seemed to think the new 540 M Sport had tilted toward a luxury ride. So I am back to square one and beginning to think that without a chance to test drive more cars I had better wait. I find many posts regarding M Sport ride pre LCI mostly non 5 series but not much post LCI 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #39
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder if I have an accurate idea of how M Sport in the LCI may ride. In a Car and Driver review the author seemed to think the new 540 M Sport had tilted toward a luxury ride. So I am back to square one and beginning to think that without a chance to test drive more cars I had better wait. I find many posts regarding M Sport ride pre LCI mostly non 5 series but not much post LCI 5 series.
Was there a difference in suspension tuning with the LCI? Based on everything I have read, the changes were cosmetic and tech related.

I have an M550i on order. There was not a 2021 or 2022 in my area to test drive. I drove a couple of 2020s and the ride was quite plush. My current vehicle is a 2017 Lincoln Continental and the BMW even felt a bit softer than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #40
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M Sport 540i has a lowered and more firm ride (704 suspension) unless the dynamic handling package is optioned. DHP will raise the ride height by an inch due to the tech stuff- dynamic damper control, active roll stabilization, and adaptive drive. It's pretty rare to find a car with this $3200 package as most customers desire the firm sporty 704 suspension and lowered look in this sedan.

If you get sport classic instead of an M Sport car you will have a softer ride and higher ride height as well, but if this is what you like you might as well get a Lexus ES 350.

The run flat tires don't add cush to the ride, so I'd not go bigger than 19" wheels. If you're keeping the car long term then option the $150 spare tire kit as you may want to switch to more forgiving tires after the oem set wears out.

Recommend you test drive the M Sport suspension as there have been some on this forum that find it too stiff, though I personally love it.

11-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #41
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Smile

Quote:
The M Sport 540i has a lowered and more firm ride (704 suspension) unless the dynamic handling package is optioned. DHP will raise the ride height by an inch due to the tech stuff- dynamic damper control, active roll stabilization, and adaptive drive. It's pretty rare to find a car with this $3200 package as most customers desire the firm sporty 704 suspension and lowered look in this sedan.

If you get sport classic instead of an M Sport car you will have a softer ride and higher ride height as well, but if this is what you like you might as well get a Lexus ES 350.

The run flat tires don't add cush to the ride, so I'd not go bigger than 19" wheels. If you're keeping the car long term then option the $150 spare tire kit as you may want to switch to more forgiving tires after the oem set wears out.

Recommend you test drive the M Sport suspension as there have been some on this forum that find it too stiff, though I personally love it.

I'm accustomed to a full size suv non adaptive dampers with heavy duty tow package. It has the 20" inch tires but they are tall and have adequate side walls for absorbing the shock of a moderate size pot hole without jarring teeth too much. The suv has a ride feel that transmits surface imperfections and could be a bit smoother for my taste and being an suv has a lot of top heavy roll and sway unsurprisingly.

Apples and oranges but as long as the 540i M sport with 19" AS tires can handle the moderate potholes and imperfections without busting teeth and smooth small imperfections I'm fine with that. I know I would enjoy a responsive vehicle with reactive steering and suspension that doesn't roll as much but let's me forget that my butt is going 80mph down a less than perfect surface. I'm prepared to swap tires right away if the noise level or ride quality isn't up to expectations.

I may have an opportunity to test drive a 540 M Sport that is on order unless it sells. It's arrival may delay my ordering time frame but hopefully not by much. I agree with your sage advice and that a test drive should be a priority, these are tough time to purchase.

Oh, I did follow up on the M550 until I saw the oil change intervals were up to 14,000 miles. That's what I like about buying new, I know it will be taken care of from day one.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #42
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Sport package with 19s very comfy for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #43
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Appreciate the input, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #44
LookBothWays
Private
Rep

Order placed, thanks guys. Went with Napa seats but everything else the same.
Appreciate 0