BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Mirror folding during winter

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2021, 02:17 AM   #1
iwantotlearn
New Member
5
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: g30 2018 520i
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Romania

iTrader: (0)

Mirror folding during winter

Hello everyone,

I was curious if you keep the mirror folding options on during winter and whats your experie ce.

Today it was bit frozen and the mirrors had a hard time unfolding.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
936
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I keep them on all the time. They have performed well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
raduron10
Private First Class
raduron10's Avatar
27
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: Bmw G30
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantotlearn View Post
Hello everyone,

I was curious if you keep the mirror folding options on during winter and whats your experie ce.

Today it was bit frozen and the mirrors had a hard time unfolding.

Thanks!
If they get ice on them, especially in the morning, they remain stuck, or at least one of them.
Was thinking to un-tick the auto fold option till spring myself.
Appreciate 1
OmahaDB12.00
      11-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
OmahaDB
New Member
United_States
12
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raduron10 View Post
If they get ice on them, especially in the morning, they remain stuck, or at least one of them.
Was thinking to un-tick the auto fold option till spring myself.
I've had that issue with a couple of vehicles. If you can't park it inside, it's probably not a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Brigadier General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
1895
Rep
3,857
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Instead of “uncoding” the mirrors (since ice formation is not usually a common every day event…but more of a sporadic occurrence)…one can use another method to lock the vehicle. One can lock the vehicle from the trunk or cargo area (using #2 or #3 in the diagram below) and the mirrors won’t fold:


I carry a briefcase M-F (sometimes Sat & Sun) which I put in the trunk or cargo area (depending on if I’m driving the f06 or f15). I discovered the trunk & cargo area central lock button DOES NOT fold the mirrors. I pop the trunk or tailgate when exiting and use comfort access to lock the vehicle which folds the mirrors. Then I retrieve my case and close the trunk/tailgate. So if you know the weather conditions are calling for freezing rain or wet conditions where the ambient temps are going to dip below freezing…you can lock the vehicle from the trunk to keep the mirrors unfolded.

Just a suggestion in case one really likes to have the mirrors folded when parked but would need an alternative (like for ice conditions) to not have them fold but the car can still be locked.
__________________
2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-29-2021 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
936
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
For my MY2020 G30 locking via the trunk button and others does fold the mirrors. But you can temporarily disable it via iDrive if you want to. So far, mine has been fine in freezing temps with snow and all.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Brigadier General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
1895
Rep
3,857
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
For my MY2020 G30 locking via the trunk button and others does fold the mirrors. But you can temporarily disable it via iDrive if you want to. So far, mine has been fine in freezing temps with snow and all.
Wow…thanks for chiming in…I’ll have to add your tidbit to my mental Rolodex.

I do find it interesting that the trunk/tailgate’s lock/unlock button doesn’t affect the side mirrors on my f06 & f15 even though they’ve been coded to fold with convenient closing and remote fob closing. But on your newer model it does….plus iDrive7 gives you selectable operation for trunk lock/unlock, too…where as that’s not an option on my versions of iDrive.
__________________
2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #8
cna90
Private
cna90's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
For my MY2020 G30 locking via the trunk button and others does fold the mirrors. But you can temporarily disable it via iDrive if you want to. So far, mine has been fine in freezing temps with snow and all.
Wow…thanks for chiming in…I’ll have to add your tidbit to my mental Rolodex.

I do find it interesting that the trunk/tailgate’s lock/unlock button doesn’t affect the side mirrors on my f06 & f15 even though they’ve been coded to fold with convenient closing and remote fob closing. But on your newer model it does….plus iDrive7 gives you selectable operation for trunk lock/unlock, too…where as that’s not an option on my versions of iDrive.
On my 2017, ID6 can be selected in iDrive too. The trunk lock will fold the mirrors on mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Brigadier General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
1895
Rep
3,857
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cna90 View Post
On my 2017, ID6 can be selected in iDrive too. The trunk lock will fold the mirrors on mine as well.
Well…I guess sometimes its good to have an older system (ID4). If for some specific reason/situation I don ‘t want or need the mirrors folded…I can just lock from the trunk without having to go into iDrive and change my settings or hook up the app to recode just to stop the mirrors from folding.

Thanks for the additional info. Perhaps I should just read the G30 forum and stop throwing in wrong info.
__________________
2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:13 AM   #10
LogicalApex
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
936
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Well…I guess sometimes its good to have an older system (ID4). If for some specific reason/situation I don ‘t want or need the mirrors folded…I can just lock from the trunk without having to go into iDrive and change my settings or hook up the app to recode just to stop the mirrors from folding.

Thanks for the additional info. Perhaps I should just read the G30 forum and stop throwing in wrong info.
We're all here to share and learn

Even me on my bucktooth G30 (not fully LCI, but has iDrive 7 so not fully pre-LCI either) I'm forced to constantly qualify my comments as sometimes the pre-LCI method is what is being done and sometimes the LCI method is being done.

BMW loves to throw us wrenches so we can knock each other around
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:42 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Brigadier General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
1895
Rep
3,857
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
We're all here to share and learn

BMW loves to throw us wrenches so we can knock each other around
Thanks for making me feel not so bad.
__________________
2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #12
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
ejlover06's Avatar
Turkey
75
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ankara

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Instead of “uncoding” the mirrors (since ice formation is not usually a common every day event…but more of a sporadic occurrence)…one can use another method to lock the vehicle. One can lock the vehicle from the trunk or cargo area (using #2 or #3 in the diagram below) and the mirrors won’t fold:


I carry a briefcase M-F (sometimes Sat & Sun) which I put in the trunk or cargo area (depending on if I’m driving the f06 or f15). I discovered the trunk & cargo area central lock button DOES NOT fold the mirrors. I pop the trunk or tailgate when exiting and use comfort access to lock the vehicle which folds the mirrors. Then I retrieve my case and close the trunk/tailgate. So if you know the weather conditions are calling for freezing rain or wet conditions where the ambient temps are going to dip below freezing…you can lock the vehicle from the trunk to keep the mirrors unfolded.

Just a suggestion in case one really likes to have the mirrors folded when parked but would need an alternative (like for ice conditions) to not have them fold but the car can still be locked.
It is up to the settings you chose on the iDrive. Mine folds them always whichever button I use.

Never had any problems in the winter even when there are frozen snow over them.

It can be selected from the iDrive menu. If the menu is not in there it can be coded easily
__________________
2017 G30 520 (1.6lt)
2016 S1000RR
2014 W205
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
BMWnoob520D
New Member
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: G31 520D
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

I disabled the folding of the mirror function since my wife complained about one of them getting stuck due to ice.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST