BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i vibration

12-01-2021, 01:29 PM   #23
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

I think many local governments have started using wash board tarmac surfaces in locations where icing is possible. This is a surface with perpendicular ripples across the road which look perfectly flat but are not.

There is a section near my home and I have visited on foot to check it out and from the path it's very noticeable yet in the cars not.

All 3 of the BMWs I have had recently hated this road. My current g30 and my wife's X1 both exhibit vibration on this, the G30 is worse as it completely confuses variable dampers.

I have learned to live with it.

QUOTE=BMW012;28312219]these vibrations are apparent on MB and BMWs starting a few years back. unless yours is much worse, it just seems to be the norm now. some say switching to NFTS helps, highly doubt a dealership will fix it. they will just say its normal/they dont feel what you are talking about. after looking into this for many years, i believe it might be have something to do with the way they are laying down the new highways now. visually the roads look like the cars should drive through it like a hot knife on butter, but i think they started to repave the roads with different/cheaper material or in a different manner which creates these odd vibrations. once you feel these vibrations - i dont think there is anything you can do that will fix it 100%. unfortunately, once you look for it - it will always be there. but good luck!!! let us know if you find a solution.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #24
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxdtw2196 View Post
Dealership porter picked up the car this morning. The vibration is very rhythmic and exists on asphalt the same as it exists on concrete so I don't really buy that argument. Over the course of a roughly 800 mile road trip I was able to drive long stretches on both surfaces at highway speed. During the process with the other vehicle, I was given a plain-ol-vanilla '21 330 loaner car that drove as smooth as silk on the same roads I was having issues with on with the 540.

We shall see.
lol any updates or excuses yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #25
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Jax I was just reading back thought this post.

Common denominators is not only model of car but dealer and you.

Could this dealer be doing the breaks bedding in process in correctly or not at all.

Ask them for the PDI records.

Also could they have left the shipping blocks in the shocks on both cars?

Or could you be super sensitive to minor vibrations in your vehicles although I doubt it as clearly there is an issue if they changed the car already.

I think this is a dealer problem and as I noted sounds like brake run out/warp.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #26
jaxdtw2196
Rep
Drives: '22 X5

I went and test drove the car again today. Dealer, under the direction of BMW, replaced the two front tires as they “failed” during road force. Mind you we had several different brands of tire failing on the previous car as well. Unfortunately the vibration was still present between 76-80mph and felt more pronounced under power. I brought along an impartial non-car-guy friend to check my sanity and sure enough he felt it as well, so the car is still there.

Service advisor said that the brake system checked out clean on this vehicle as well. They’ve been great the entire time though this unfortunate process.

After dealing with this over two vehicles I decided the only way forward was out of the 5-series altogether. Test drove an X5 and decided that’s the way to go. There’s a Manhattan Green one with my name on it now for delivery later this week.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #27
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Bummer that it couldn't be solved but congrats on the X5, I think that's where I'm also going next BMW wise after recently moving to a house that's a bit off the beaten track.

Post some pictures when you get that colour sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0