BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Exhaust hitting cross brace

01-29-2023, 11:47 AM   #1
MOBF10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Exhaust hitting cross brace

Hey guys. Does anyone know to correct this issue? This section of my exhaust is sitting lower and touching that cross brace. Really annoying tapping sound when I'm driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #2
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBF10 View Post
Hey guys. Does anyone know to correct this issue? This section of my exhaust is sitting lower and touching that cross brace. Really annoying tapping sound when I'm driving.
There is a small mounting bracket just after the cat, and there is also 2 mounts on the rear muffler along with a few rubber hangers, something may have come loose or snapped start at the front and work hour way back checking for issues
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #3
MOBF10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
There is a small mounting bracket just after the cat, and there is also 2 mounts on the rear muffler along with a few rubber hangers, something may have come loose or snapped start at the front and work hour way back checking for issues
The mounting brackets on my muffler were definitely loose and needed to be adjusted higher. Did that and it helped a bit but that mid section is still sitting low.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:50 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Although this is 550, I'm sure it's a similar problem because I had this on my 540 when I installed my downpipe. I didn't have a hoist to work under the car so it was a real struggle to get the pipe shoved further up into the cat backend. The bracket (up front) and rear exhaust mounting is easy enough to check but up front you really need to push hard to seat the forward length of pipe deep enough into the cat (which lifts that mid section higher). Take it to an exhaust shop. they'll have all the gear to push it up properly.