BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions "Software" Update

06-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
rexmatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
"Software" Update

Can someone please clarify the types of “software updates” that there are and how you are able to update each? Certain software related aspects of my ‘18 540i are not working properly. The car does not beep on lock/unlock, I get long red flashing light when locking, and factory nav never loads. I was told to get my software updated so I did over USB. Nothing changed. Is this something the dealer has to do?
Additionally, I would like to code in anti-dazzle on my headlights and install LCI tailights, would the software update allow me to do those things?
Very uninformed here so any info helps! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 06:31 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I’ll have a stab at this! Ready to be corrected!

Car firmware
This is the software used to control the various ECUs
The version is known by its istep level
When people talk about coding, this is what they are referring to
Officially this is updated by the dealer who may do it to address a particular issue
It takes potentially a couple of hours to do so they are reluctant to do so unless it’s to fix an issue or bmw advise that your car requires a later version

Unofficially , this can be changed )coded) bu tools such as Carly, and ESYS which is BMWs own tool which can be got unofficially. Need to know what you are doing with that as there is the potential to mess up your car

So this makes changes to settings that are normally hidden from the owner and not seen as configureable in idrive
This is not re programming just changing values that the software interprets
If you are familiar with the registry in windows, ESYS edit it in a sort of similar way - sort of. Tools such as Carly make it more user friendly as you don’t need to know what’s going on in the background.

Believe the istep can be updated unofficially , but again you need to know what you are doing

Idrive 7 which your car does not have , it has 6, introduces over the air updates to this software.

Navigation maps
This isn’t really software as it’s data and this is updated via a usb drive or updates over the air. You need to subscribe to this on an annual basis.
(Again I think there are unofficial ways of achieving this)

Idrive software, pretty sure this can only be done from the dealer and presumably would only do this in the case of an issue

Pretty sure I have this right but other will chip if I’m wrong on any of this or with more info
Appreciate 1
rexmatt19.00
      06-08-2023, 01:48 AM   #3
rexmatt
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I’ll have a stab at this! Ready to be corrected!

Car firmware
This is the software used to control the various ECUs
The version is known by its istep level
When people talk about coding, this is what they are referring to
Officially this is updated by the dealer who may do it to address a particular issue
It takes potentially a couple of hours to do so they are reluctant to do so unless it’s to fix an issue or bmw advise that your car requires a later version

Unofficially , this can be changed )coded) bu tools such as Carly, and ESYS which is BMWs own tool which can be got unofficially. Need to know what you are doing with that as there is the potential to mess up your car

So this makes changes to settings that are normally hidden from the owner and not seen as configureable in idrive
This is not re programming just changing values that the software interprets
If you are familiar with the registry in windows, ESYS edit it in a sort of similar way - sort of. Tools such as Carly make it more user friendly as you don’t need to know what’s going on in the background.

Believe the istep can be updated unofficially , but again you need to know what you are doing

Idrive 7 which your car does not have , it has 6, introduces over the air updates to this software.

Navigation maps
This isn’t really software as it’s data and this is updated via a usb drive or updates over the air. You need to subscribe to this on an annual basis.
(Again I think there are unofficial ways of achieving this)

Idrive software, pretty sure this can only be done from the dealer and presumably [...]
Thanks so much
Sounds like it’s my istep that I need to look into.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 02:16 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Guess so. Have you had the car from new?
Wondering if it’s been coded previously
Dealer will update the software (later istep) but you’ll pay a couple of hours or so labour for it.

The beep when locking unlocking I know is a selectable option in idrive 7 so suspect it’s probably buried in idrive 6 but not a selectable option , hence why I was wondering if it had been coded or it’s just the default option anyway. In the U.K. it’s not set .
Appreciate 1
rexmatt19.00
      06-08-2023, 02:20 AM   #5
rexmatt
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Guess so. Have you had the car from new?
Wondering if it’s been coded previously
Dealer will update the software (later istep) but you’ll pay a couple of hours or so labour for it.

The beep when locking unlocking I know is a selectable option in idrive 7 so suspect it’s probably buried in idrive 6 but not a selectable option , hence why I was wondering if it had been coded or it’s just the default option anyway. In the U.K. it’s not set .
I have not. Only had it about 3 months.
Lock/unlock beep is an option in iDrive 6 but doesn’t change anything if it’s selected or not. I also get a lot of flashes from the rearview mirror security light when locking. Makes me think something is up. Hopefully I go have them update and this all goes away…
Appreciate 0