BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Level 2 home charger

06-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Level 2 home charger

Any recommendations for which level 2 chargers are best for home install and use? There are a lot of choices it seems on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Best is a relative term. You’ll need to lists your desired optimizations to help us give you a good idea.

I like my ChargePoint Flex. It gives me real-time stats via WiFi and has enough capacity to cover any EV I could own in the next decade. But if you don’t care for excess future capacity or WiFi connectivity you can save a lot cutting all that out and going with a brand like clipper creak.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok, fair enough.

I care about future proofing because I don't want to have to buy another one in 5-6 years when I trade in the 530e for a newer model.
I also really like tech so wifi connection is cool but is it really necessary since the car gives wifi charging information? Unless the info from the charger is much more detailed.
I'd like to keep the price around $500 but since my installation is going to be free(for labor) I can spend a little more for a better charger to future proof it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Is this the charger you have?

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/...int-home-flex/
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicBimmer View Post
Ok, fair enough.

I care about future proofing because I don't want to have to buy another one in 5-6 years when I trade in the 530e for a newer model.
I also really like tech so wifi connection is cool but is it really necessary since the car gives wifi charging information? Unless the info from the charger is much more detailed.
I'd like to keep the price around $500 but since my installation is going to be free(for labor) I can spend a little more for a better charger to future proof it.
I really like the charger data. I can’t get historical data from the car. It will only tell you if the car is or isn’t charging. Not how much energy it is using. Or how much it took to charge.

I went crazy on my future proofing due to my installation realities. I live in a major city so I had to excavate my sidewalk to get mine installed. I won’t have to do that again until 50A is a “slow” charge. In your case upgrading later if your next EV needs sounds like it wouldn’t be as complex.

Take this data that shows you how often I have charged my 530e since I installed the charger. Impressive amount I think considering I street park and am not guaranteed my spot!

Name:  Charge History.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  148.9 KB

Quote:
Yes, it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

If you ever plan at any stage to install a solar roof or panels on your home then the Zappi V2 by myenergi is what you will need.

It can be setup to use only excess power from the roof or mix of excess etc for guaranteed charge at certain times.

Also has time control etc and a great interface if you also install the cheap hub along side it. See image.

In summer I pay zero/nil/zip for all my electric miles using this setup and as I usually only travel 20-40 km daily at the moment I'm green 90% of the time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      06-24-2021, 12:16 AM   #7
5Pilot
Rep
Drives: BMW 530eX

I was confronted with the same variety of choices and uncertainty when I purchased my Level 2. I really wanted the WiFi and data, but in the end it just wasn’t something I felt like paying so much extra for. So I went with one of the cheaper units. The brand is Mustart. You can get it in a number of cord length, amperage and plug configurations. I’ve been using it for about 6 months without any problems. It seems well built, the cord is considerably beefier than the BMW convenience charger (I got the 32A version). It does have a readout panel with limited data, but again, no data. The car will at least provide charge status info, through the BMW app.

I recommend you get the L2 as soon as you can. The charge rates are significantly faster than the convenience charger, like more than 2.5 times faster. Since getting mine I am putting a lot more electric miles on the care than before.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Just to note it seems a L2 charger is faster in the US but not Europe.

Car can only handle 3,5kw max, consider some full E cars now have 80kw fast charge onboard you could charge a 530e in 20 mins if the car was able to accept such.

We have 220v standard in Europe so the difference between the convenience charger and L2 is negligible.

QUOTE=5Pilot;27733254]I was confronted with the same variety of choices and uncertainty when I purchased my Level 2. I really wanted the WiFi and data, but in the end it just wasn't something I felt like paying so much extra for. So I went with one of the cheaper units. The brand is Mustart. You can get it in a number of cord length, amperage and plug configurations. I've been using it for about 6 months without any problems. It seems well built, the cord is considerably beefier than the BMW convenience charger (I got the 32A version). It does have a readout panel with limited data, but again, no data. The car will at least provide charge status info, through the BMW app.

I recommend you get the L2 as soon as you can. The charge rates are significantly faster than the convenience charger, like more than 2.5 times faster. Since getting mine I am putting a lot more electric miles on the care than before.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the advice and information. This board and the information is invaluable.
I'm still looking at the options and leaning to the Chargepoint.
Right now, since I raised the charging setting in the car to 10A the car is getting charged much quicker. But still not as fast as a L2 would. Depending on how this next month goes as far as how I drive I'm going to make a final decision.
Again, appreciate the info. I'll report back.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Thank you for all the advice and information. This board and the information is invaluable.
Right now, since I raised the charging setting in the car to 10A the car is getting charged much quicker. But still not as fast as a L2 would. Depending on how this next month goes as far as how I drive I'm going to make a final decision.
Remember that the actual charger is in the car. For example, in the 530e the charger is limited on speed. I only have a 20 amp unit (unlike Logical, I wanted to avoid trenching and would have had to trench my lawn to go from 225 amps to 400 amps). But because the charger speed is limited in the hybrid, a 50 amp unit wouldn't give me any faster charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Check out GrizzlE.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #12
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

One follow up question on this topic.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Chargepoint Flex, but now I'm sitting on the option between a 6 50 and 14 50 plug. There's always another decision. lol

I'm reading a ton of stuff online about the difference between the two and mostly they seem the same to me. Basically I'm reading that the 6-50 is newer and has less wiring which makes it easier to install, but that they essentially can charge all the same cars and all at the same rate and amperage. So, then what's the difference?

Is it that because the 6 50 is newer then it's going to be the future of EVs and the 14 50 is going to be phased out in some way? So the 6 50 is the one to get?
Is the plug some way more flexible in it's usage, so that it can be used in another ways somehow? I just don't see any real particular difference.

Any veterans have opinions on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Chargepoint Flex, but now I'm sitting on the option between a 6 50 and 14 50 plug. There's always another decision. lol

I'm reading a ton of stuff online about the difference between the two and mostly they seem the same to me. Basically I'm reading that the 6-50 is newer and has less wiring which makes it easier to install, but that they essentially can charge all the same cars and all at the same rate and amperage. So, then what's the difference?

Is it that because the 6 50 is newer then it's going to be the future of EVs and the 14 50 is going to be phased out in some way? So the 6 50 is the one to get?
Is the plug some way more flexible in it's usage, so that it can be used in another ways somehow? I just don't see any real particular difference.

If you are plugging it into an outlet buy the one that matches the receptacle you have. If you are hard wiring like I did then it won’t matter since the plug disconnects internally. In the hard wired case go with the cheapest of the two for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well, right now in my garage I only have a 110V three prong outlet. I'm going to have to change the entire area and reconfigure it.
Based on what I've seen from the Chargepoint website, both 14 and 6 are on back order for the next 4-5 weeks. Must be really popular.
And when I click on either options it says $699 for both.
So that's why I'm wondering if there's any other difference.
You're saying, there's no difference?

A lot of what I read online is the 14 50 is more common and likely what you'd find more often, but so what? Do people often bring their home chargers with them? Is it portable?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, right now in my garage I only have a 110V three prong outlet. I'm going to have to change the entire area and reconfigure it.
Based on what I've seen from the Chargepoint website, both 14 and 6 are on back order for the next 4-5 weeks. Must be really popular.
And when I click on either options it says $699 for both.
So that's why I'm wondering if there's any other difference.
You're saying, there's no difference?

A lot of what I read online is the 14 50 is more common and likely what you'd find more often, but so what? Do people often bring their home chargers with them? Is it portable?
Yeah there is no difference except the wall plug which disconnects the same way internally on all models. I would recommend hard wiring it since it allows you higher amperage and less "work" since you're not having a socket installed.

I attached a picture of the inside of my hardwired Flex. If you see the three wires on the left that's where the plug will come connected. You'll remove the plug to hardwire the unit so internally the unit is identical they just change that one component that you'll trash anyway if you hardwire.

Name:  Charge Point Flex.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  1.11 MB
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #16
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Yeah there is no difference except the wall plug which disconnects the same way internally on all models. I would recommend hard wiring it since it allows you higher amperage and less "work" since you're not having a socket installed.

I attached a picture of the inside of my hardwired Flex. If you see the three wires on the left that's where the plug will come connected. You'll remove the plug to hardwire the unit so internally the unit is identical they just change that one component that you'll trash anyway if you hardwire.

Attachment 2645821
So you hardwired the 6 50.
What if you move though? You can't unhardwire this box? You'll have to buy another one?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I went for the plug unit as it would let me take it with me if I ever moved. But I did have an electrician do the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #18
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I went for the plug unit as it would let me take it with me if I ever moved. But I did have an electrician do the wiring.
Which plug did you get?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #19
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
So you hardwired the 6 50.
What if you move though? You can't unhardwire this box? You'll have to buy another one?
I wasn’t worried about moving. My wiring required me to trench under a sidewalk since I like in a major city. I was trying to make sure I was doing this trenching once. Suburban buyers have a different set of constraints that can motivate them differently.

I also didn’t want any risk of my EVSE getting water into the plug or otherwise since it is exposed to the elements 24/7. Thankfully it has survived the intense storms through the NE in the last few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #20
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

14-50 is a hold-over from the days when electric clothes dryers had an analog clock for timing purposes and needed the neutral to give a 110v. leg. If you have a 14-50 outlet, Code requires a 4-wire connection with the "white" neutral--which you can see from the photo is not connected in any EVSE. Several years ago, when I was purchasing my first EVSE, hardly any were offered with the 6-50 plug because the 14-50 was the predominant one found in homes. Different today.

For a new wiring installation, you can now save the extra cost for a 4-wire cable with a 6-50--and given the cost of copper today, the saving is not negligible.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #21
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which plug did you get?
6-50
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2018 BMW 530e with a clipper creek charger that I have had for many years. I am planning to go full BEV next (I have a deposit down on a Lucid Air Pure) and just ordered the Chargepoint homeflex 50. That will essentially future proof me as it will let me add about 30 miles an hour.

To do it I (by which I mean my electrician) need to rearrange my panel to get a 50 amp line (currently I have a 20 amp line going to the clipper creek). double up some breakers, put in new conduit to hold larger wires, rewire the EVSE and install it. Assuming my Chargepoint comes in as scheduled (end of next week), I will have it installed on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

I will then use it on my 530e until they eventually build my Pure.
Appreciate 2
admranger2984.50