BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Coding fullscreen CarPlay

06-28-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Coding fullscreen CarPlay

Hello all,

I've had my car coded with CarPlay from Almaretto, and would like to change this to full-screen CarPlay following the changes in iOS 13 (which I have on my iPhone).

Can anyone here provide me with the coding to upgrade to full-screen without impacting my CarPlay coding provided by Almaretto?

I've tried to get in touch but I think he's a little busy at the moment....
      06-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Why do you want to change as a result of ios13. Is there extra functionality
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
Hello all,

I've had my car coded with CarPlay from Almaretto, and would like to change this to full-screen CarPlay following the changes in iOS 13 (which I have on my iPhone).

Can anyone here provide me with the coding to upgrade to full-screen without impacting my CarPlay coding provided by Almaretto?

You can upgrade to iOS 13 which should not affect anything. I am running the developer version without a problem.

Enabling widescreen functionality involves making modifications to the CarPlay.INI file on the head unit to change the resolution and icon spacing. It has nothing to do with iOS.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

You can upgrade to iOS 13 which should not affect anything. I am running the developer version without a problem.

Enabling widescreen functionality involves making modifications to the CarPlay.INI file on the head unit to change the resolution and icon spacing. It has nothing to do with iOS.
Thanks. I'm aware of all this. Perhaps I worded it wrong. I want to take advantage of the new CarPlay UI by enabling full screen CarPlay on my iDrive and for this I'd like to get it coded. 🙂
      06-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
The new split screen map and music for starters. They've also improved the UI massively. It's still buggy but I'm using the public beta now and it's a huge improvement, but definitely designed for widescreen displays.
      06-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks. I'm aware of all this. Perhaps I worded it wrong. I want to take advantage of the new CarPlay UI by enabling full screen CarPlay on my iDrive and for this I'd like to get it coded. 🙂
You said you already had your vehicle coded for CarPlay, so you will not need to do anything when you upgrade to iOS 13 unless he only activated CarPlay itself and not widescreen.

Those modifications are done to the file system on the head unit itself. CarPlay doesn't control that part, but will take advantage of the larger resolution screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

You said you already had your vehicle coded for widescreen, so you will not need to do anything when you upgrade to iOS 13. Those modifications are done to the file system on the head unit itself. CarPlay doesn't control that part, but will take advantage of the larger resolution screen.
No, I said I had it coded for CarPlay and I would like it coded for full screen.
      06-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

You said you already had your vehicle coded for widescreen, so you will not need to do anything when you upgrade to iOS 13. Those modifications are done to the file system on the head unit itself. CarPlay doesn't control that part, but will take advantage of the larger resolution screen.
No, I said I had it coded for CarPlay and I would like it coded for full screen.
I misread it on the first post, but I corrected myself on the last one. I'm surprise he didn't ask you to do both at the same time.

"You said you already had your vehicle coded for CarPlay, so you will not need to do anything when you upgrade to iOS 13 unless he only activated CarPlay itself and not widescreen."

I edited my previous post after you replied.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I misread it on the first post, but I corrected myself on the last one. I'm surprise he didn't ask you to do both at the same time.

"You said you already had your vehicle coded for CarPlay, so you will not need to do anything when you upgrade to iOS 13 unless he only activated CarPlay itself and not widescreen."
Maybe an "iPhone fat fingers" post, but in essence I just want the full screen part coded.

I didn't request it before as I didn't want it with the old UI. With iOS 13 it makes more sense now hence the request.

Still waiting with payment....to hear from a good coder that can do this for me!
      06-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Maybe an "iPhone fat fingers" post, but in essence I just want the full screen part coded.

I didn't request it before as I didn't want it with the old UI. With iOS 13 it makes more sense now hence the request.

Still waiting with payment....to hear from a good coder that can do this for me!
He does it for a very low amount. Other services like BimmerTech charge a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Found a solution: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1629804
      07-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good to know, thanks for sharing. I am definitely interested in the CarPlay widescreen activation from them since it can be done without remote programming and reapplied to the same vehicle just in case it gets reset after a service appointment. What are the options if I wanted to put it back for any reason? This is not just a simple coding change because it requires modifications to the CarPlay.ini file for the new resolution and icon spacing. That's why BimmerCode can't do it. Just want be able to go back if I needed to.

I do have another question about the CarPlay subscription itself that I see them and others offering. I have always paid for CarPlay directly through BMW, so what does buying their CarPlay activation buy me? Does it go from yearly to lifetime?
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #13
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good to know, thanks for sharing. I am definitely interested in the CarPlay widescreen activation from them since it can be done without remote programming and reapplied to the same vehicle just in case it gets reset after a service appointment. What are the options if I wanted to put it back for any reason? This is not just a simple coding change because it requires modifications to the CarPlay.ini file for the new resolution and icon spacing. That's why BimmerCode can't do it. Just want be able to go back if I needed to.

I do have another question about the CarPlay subscription itself that I see them and others offering. I have always paid for CarPlay directly through BMW, so what does buying their CarPlay activation buy me? Does it go from yearly to lifetime?
You should confirm this with Thomas from OEM Navigations, but my understanding is yes you can go back to the stock OEM setup (BMW split screen). When you start the coding tool, it asks you if you want to restore the stock back up. If you hit OK, it'll code the original version for you, else it'll code the update.

Plus if you take their CarPlay activation, it's a lifetime option. (E.g. It won't expire in 3 years).
      07-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should confirm this with Thomas from OEM Navigations, but my understanding is yes you can go back to the stock OEM setup (BMW split screen). When you start the coding tool, it asks you if you want to restore the stock back up. If you hit OK, it'll code the original version for you, else it'll code the update.

Plus if you take their CarPlay activation, it's a lifetime option. (E.g. It won't expire in 3 years).
You're right, he's very responsive. As far as the lifetime subscription is concerned, he suggested that I wait until my existing subscription runs out. Thanks again for all of the info.
Appreciate 1
beanbaguk453.50
      07-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
+1 on using OEM Navigations. Super friendly, helpful people. You get your code shortly after ordering and you can do the automated remote coding when it's convenient for you. Everything worked perfectly! Highly recommend!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
beanbaguk453.50
      12-31-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
G30VKS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Quote:

This is a bit off an odd one but does anyone know how to restore the idrive to its original state as I want to code it then recode CarPlay back on to it please answer lol tryed updating with bmw software but doesn’t work which I’m not really surprised but yeah
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #17
elthox
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330xd stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30VKS View Post
Quote:

This is a bit off an odd one but does anyone know how to restore the idrive to its original state as I want to code it then recode CarPlay back on to it please answer lol tryed updating with bmw software but doesn’t work which I’m not really surprised but yeah
Flashing with esys will return it to factory state
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 05:50 PM   #18
G30VKS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Flashing idrive to original state

Quote:
Originally Posted by elthox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30VKS View Post
Quote:

This is a bit off an odd one but does anyone know how to restore the idrive to its original state as I want to code it then recode CarPlay back on to it please answer lol tryed updating with bmw software but doesn't work which I'm not really surprised but yeah
Flashing with esys will return it to factory state
Does anyone have pro luncher 3.0 or newer as I don't have it and don't intend on spending 50 quid just to get it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #19
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Bimmer Code: Head Unit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 -> CarPlay Full Screen -> aktiv