BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion [UPDATE] 2015: BMW M8, I8s, Z2, 9 series reportedly axed. i5 still on

05-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #23
adamm3k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3

Terrible news. Nothing to look forward to. Hello Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

There's always American muscle...
      05-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #25
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
hopefully it just means the Z2 in name

I could see them changing the Z4 to the Z5 (keeping it hardtop and larger) and introducing a new Z3 softtop, maybe Z2 was canned because it was going to be FWD and hopefully a Z3 would be RWD...
I thought the Z2 was going to be RWD? I was probably mistaken.
      05-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #26
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

BMW M8, i8s, 9 Series coupe would be amazing
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #27
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As work is still ongoing on several models discussed here.
So there is work going on with the cars mentioned above? that means this rumour is not true..
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #28
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamm3k View Post
Terrible news. Nothing to look forward to. Hello Mercedes
Maybe they haven't been axed, hopefully these projects will be made in the future but It's just a rumour someone could just be making this stuff up 75% of bmw rumours are never true lol
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #29
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

After my F82 this will be the last BMW until they get it right. It is unfortunate that a company with the slogan (or did) "Ultimate Driving Machine" does not produce an exciting car. I understand making mass market cars but where's all the fun cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #30
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Not remotely upset by this. There are already too many models as is.

9-Series Coupe: Do we really need a coupe bigger than the 6 series?

Z2 Roadster: The Z line needs an overhaul anyways, BMW's roadster lineup is pathetic at present. It would make more sense to revisit this after the new Z4 and 2 series are unveiled.

i8S: Do we know more about what this model was to entail? The i8 is still a "beta" in my mind, so may make more sense to give this model a few years before thinking about performance variations.

M8: Seeing as there is no 8 series, this makes sense to me. I'd bet we still see the M7, but again, do we really need something in coupe form that is bigger than the M6?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #31
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post

Z2 Roadster: The Z line needs an overhaul anyways, BMW's roadster lineup is pathetic at present. It would make more sense to revisit this after the new Z4 and 2 series are unveiled.

i8S: Do we know more about what this model was to entail? The i8 is still a "beta" in my mind, so may make more sense to give this model a few years before thinking about performance variations.

M8: Seeing as there is no 8 series, this makes sense to me. I'd bet we still see the M7, but again, do we really need something in coupe form that is bigger than the M6?
9 series coupe Yes I think its the right time for them to create one.. would be a great competitor for the s class coupe

Z2 Not sure..

i8S Yes faster i8 would be great!

M8 YES. GIVE US A V10.

Can also see the M7 being made too that thing would be nuts
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #32
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90

The M8 could be a stand-alone M only sports/supercar like the AMG GT is to mercedes, and R8 to Auidi.

We really dont need anything bigger than the 6, which is already fat, but I remember a video where Karim Habib himself hints at a 8/9 series based on the VFL concept, so they definitely thought about that at some point.

As much as i love BMW, I think they are too deep within "business case" market strategy, they need to do something to keep what they are known for alive, and that can also bring more customers..not to the car itself but to the brand..merc and audi have their halos, and they sell well, how come BMW sees no market for their own. The i8 its not by any means a sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #33
adamm3k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90

The M8 is/was going to be mid engined and not based of any production car. It's purpose was to be the performance halo of the brand; competing against the R8 and AMG GT, and P cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #34
erroberts1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue F36 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I thought the 9 series was supposed to be a big dog "4 door sedan", because the 7 series was too "mainstream"?

And that the 8 series was the coupe of the 7 (2 doors).

Canceling the M8, seriously? This would be the second time. They need a halo car. AMG is on its second one, their own car. Audi's R8 is in it's second generation.

Yet, BMW has two quasi-mini vans.
They can have their "halo cars" but everyone wants an M3 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #35
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I hope they don't make the i5 too long. Something in the range of 170-175" would be great. I need a replacement for the i3 when the lease is up.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #36
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
The M8 could be a stand-alone M only sports/supercar like the AMG GT is to mercedes, and R8 to Auidi.

We really dont need anything bigger than the 6, which is already fat, but I remember a video where Karim Habib himself hints at a 8/9 series based on the VFL concept, so they definitely thought about that at some point.

As much as i love BMW, I think they are too deep within "business case" market strategy, they need to do something to keep what they are known for alive, and that can also bring more customers..not to the car itself but to the brand..merc and audi have their halos, and they sell well, how come BMW sees no market for their own. The i8 its not by any means a sportscar.
yep and If they did make an M supercar it would sell well too imo
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #37
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Why not the M8, I would bet people would buy the car.

The i5 will sell poorly and I would not buy one nor plan too until technology and range catches up to proven reliability.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #38
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Just bring in an amazing M2 and I'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #39
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Gotta make room for the FWD M420xi Active Touring Grand Coupe 4-Matic with Active Understreer Control.

The future is bright.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #40
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Hopefully soon now that Reithofer it out. He struck me as a german Rick Wagoner.
Norbert Reithofer did not Bankrupt BMW.
They may be making more money than ever but I think he's referring to the lack of inspiring products. I went into the dealership yesterday and sat in everything. The only model that enticed me to want a test drive was the M3 but that's out of my budget (for now).

Everything else felt cheap even compared to my e46 which is now over 10 years old. Nor did they have the features of my 10 year old car for nearly 40 or more grand. I'm looking to replace my e46 as it is getting old but non of the current range of BMW's do anything for me and I used to be a huge fan boy. I don't even recommend the brand to friends anymore because I'd feel bad putting recommending them knowing their are lots of other good options.

Who made the cost cutting decision to get rid of the button to open the center arm rest in the f30? Now you have yank it out of the center console and slam it back in. All while making unpleasant noises. Did they take that little bit of savings and put it into something else like standard xenon lights? Higher quality plastics on something you touch regularly? Nope... they took that bit of savings and laughed to the bank. I that's just one minor instance of the cost cutting that went into the F30 I'm sure, and you can tell. Along with the rest of the current line up...

Higher quality interiors with better driving dynamics, please. Hopefully the new CEO knows that and he's axing extra models to get what we already have back up to speed.
I too feel my old E46 had a better quality than some new bm's - 1 ser for instance. There were 2 models I was keen on: i3 - pre ordered one for august next year and the 1ser 4 door to replace my loved E46. They moved to fwd i moved to porsche. Perhaps in the future the brand will focus again on core values and not just $$$
Dont forget lamp in the glovebox, cheap manual seat controls in new cars, cheap plastics on the lower levels, cheap air vents. Sat in an alfa giullieta today I was blownaway. Not to mention the merc c class looks better quality int than next 7. Even the paintwork is much much cheaper quality. They now use an all in one paint primer to save $$$ and it shows. Paint on my previous f25 x3 (replaced by macan) flaked off during wash!!! Poor sounddeadning - my 1st gen x3 sounded better and less intrusive than similar f25. I was ready to drop 100k on an i8 until I sat in the interior and found plastics that a basic renault clio would not have. I simply could not justif it. Than had to cost cutting the more and more sedated numb driving experience and blame me 4 going to porsche to get a propers driver machine
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #41
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Tragic to axe the M8 concept.
I had hoped this would have been BMWs answer to Mercedes GT/GTS..
      05-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #42
335i classic
United_States
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Hopefully soon now that Reithofer it out. He struck me as a german Rick Wagoner.
Norbert Reithofer did not Bankrupt BMW.
They may be making more money than ever but I think he's referring to the lack of inspiring products. I went into the dealership yesterday and sat in everything. The only model that enticed me to want a test drive was the M3 but that's out of my budget (for now).

Everything else felt cheap even compared to my e46 which is now over 10 years old. Nor did they have the features of my 10 year old car for nearly 40 or more grand. I'm looking to replace my e46 as it is getting old but non of the current range of BMW's do anything for me and I used to be a huge fan boy. I don't even recommend the brand to friends anymore because I'd feel bad putting recommending them knowing their are lots of other good options.

Who made the cost cutting decision to get rid of the button to open the center arm rest in the f30? Now you have yank it out of the center console and slam it back in. All while making unpleasant noises. Did they take that little bit of savings and put it into something else like standard xenon lights? Higher quality plastics on something you touch regularly? Nope... they took that bit of savings and laughed to the bank. I that's just one minor instance of the cost cutting that went into the F30 I'm sure, and you can tell. Along with the rest of the current line up...

Higher quality interiors with better driving dynamics, please. Hopefully the new CEO knows that and he's axing extra models to get what we already have back up to speed.
No I definitely agree with you on that one, even though I have a e92 335i I'm disappointed in the F30. but I do absolutely love the F32 I think they kept their essence in the F32. I even said this to my friend they were making to many damn cars. Lol, but BMW is definitely on top and I'm an enthusiast through and through, but I do agree that they're making too many cars and none really for the enthusiast; however, I do say this since they're on top they're trying to keep up and be fresh.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #43
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99
I foresee brand changes from many enthusiasts
I won't change brands, but I will never buy a new BMW. The BMW brand that I fell in love with no longer exists. The only BMWs worth buying have already been produced.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #44
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Why were they calling it the 9-series coupe, anyway? In keeping with BMW's naming convention, shouldn't a 2-door boat larger than the 6-series be called the 8-series?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0