BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G31 Touring SE vs M-Sport Comparison help

04-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

G31 Touring SE vs M-Sport Comparison help

Hi all,
I am about to pull the trigger on a new G31. My only concern is if the M-Sport pack is really worth the extra cash. I am already adding VDC and want to see what the differences really are. trying to find a side by side image comparison on the internet is a struggle, so hoping someone on here can help. Looking to get a 530d. Apologies if this has been converted to death already?

TameAutumn
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Just use BMW's configurator, or download the current G31 brochure and price list.

IIRC the main thing the brochure fails to list for Msport is the sports seats. Not everyone gets on with the sports seats anyway....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Have you looked at nearly new cars ? Great savings even against discounted new prices. And you get to see lots of pics of the car you're actually buying...

Anecdotally the premium for MSport 2nd hand seems to be less than the £3k+ you pay for new.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

I'm not an M-Sport snob but the G30/G31 can look a bit anonymous and soft in SE trim. The M-Sport kit almost finishes the design. Understandably it's not an insignificant premium and that budget could be put towards Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Seats, Surround View Cameras or other options that would make a bigger difference from the front seat.

Whatever you do, tick the box for Adaptive Dampers. I have driven the G30 with and without them and it transforms the car from being good to outstanding.
      04-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I've always gone for M Sport whatever the car I've had for past 12 years. I believe M Sports kit add to the overall design of the car and I prefer lower suspension and sports seats. Those were my reasons for adding M Sports to my cars.

In your case, if you are adding VDC that negates suspension, so you are more or less down to aesthetics. Then it really is a personal preference question and how much would you value it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #6
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

I had an SE spec F10 before I bought my G30 M Sport and I must say I personally much prefer the M Sport look. The different bodykit and wheels make a significant difference to the appearance of the car but it depends what look you ultimately want to go for. SE gives you a "softer" appearance, M Sport adds some more aggressive elements... For me it is worth the increase in cost. When I was looking at ordering a G30 I started with the SE spec, but then realised that a lot of the options I wanted were standard on the M Sport - i.e. sports seats, better wheels etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #7
M60WEB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d SE G31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tameautumn View Post
Hi all,
I am about to pull the trigger on a new G31. My only concern is if the M-Sport pack is really worth the extra cash. I am already adding VDC and want to see what the differences really are. trying to find a side by side image comparison on the internet is a struggle, so hoping someone on here can help. Looking to get a 530d. Apologies if this has been converted to death already?

TameAutumn
I've had 2 M sport 5 series and the overall look of the cars is enhanced in that trim albeit the G30/G31 is a bit more restrained in that respect IMO.
Have switched to a 530 SE Touring estate now. The main problem with UK model specifications is you cannot tailor your build sufficiently with the standard configurator. Dealers not that helpful either, if the dealer configurator won't allow then that's it.
My reason for going SE was primarily:-
Limited colours in M Sport.
Couldn't specify Ventilated Comfort seats in Cognac on M sport
18 inch wheels not available on standard 530d M sport. 19 standard.
Not keen on the Busy alum Rhomboid trim standard on M sport.

Whilst disappointed I couldn't spec the M sport version to my liking, the circa 3 grand saving went towards my other bits which add far more to the car than some bigger wheels and sportier look.
Comfort seats.
Head up display
Adaptive cruise.
VDC
Alum Trim
Hi if Loudspeakers

5000 miles in now and overriding impression excellent. Fantastic economy circa 40+ .
My only reservation is VDC and RFT tyres.
VDC does improve overall comfort across certain types of poorer surfaces and undulating road surface, but it does NOT eliminate or massively improve the "crash bang wallop" across potholes and some of our grimmer road surfaces in UK. That's wholly down to RFT tyres and I'm a bit unimpressed with overall ride comfort and noise as a result.
I've had RFT's on an E60 before, removed them after 2 years , my second E60 M sport 535d had bigger 19 inch wheels and standard "normal" tyres from the factory but ride was compliant and quiet, sublime when cruising, in fact better than the G31 I now have on a smaller wheels with VDC...a mistake on my part to assume Runflats have evolved and improved.

Unsurprisingly new factory order cars can be specced with 18" wheels and standard tyres since January but after my order.
No M cars can be ordered with RFT Tyres. That tells you something.

It's more than likely that I will take the current RFT tyres off and fit Michelin Cross Climates before next winter sets in.
If I get a puncture in the meantime, all 4 will come off - they're that bad.
2015 VW Touareg 262 R-Line / Canyon Grey
2008 E60 535d LCI / Space Grey
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      04-23-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60WEB View Post
I've had 2 M sport 5 series and the overall look of the cars is enhanced in that trim albeit the G30/G31 is a bit more restrained in that respect IMO.
Have switched to a 530 SE Touring estate now. The main problem with UK model specifications is you cannot tailor your build sufficiently with the standard configurator. Dealers not that helpful either, if the dealer configurator won't allow then that's it.

Whilst disappointed I couldn't spec the M sport version to my liking, the circa 3 grand saving went towards my other bits which add far more to the car than some bigger wheels and sportier look.
Comfort seats.
Head up display
Adaptive cruise.
VDC
Alum Trim
Hi if Loudspeakers

5000 miles in now and overriding impression excellent. Fantastic economy circa 40+ .
VDC does improve overall comfort across certain types of poorer surfaces and undulating road surface, but it does NOT eliminate or massively improve the "crash bang wallop" across potholes and some of our grimmer road surfaces in UK. That's wholly down to RFT tyres and I'm a bit unimpressed with overall ride comfort and noise as a result.
I've had RFT's on an E60 before, removed them after 2 years , my second E60 M sport 535d had bigger 19 inch wheels and standard "normal" tyres from the factory but ride was compliant and quiet, sublime when cruising, in fact better than the G31 I now have on a smaller wheels with VDC...a mistake on my part to assume Runflats have evolved and improved.

Unsurprisingly new factory order cars can be specced with 18" wheels and standard tyres since January but after my order.

It's more than likely that I will take the current RFT tyres off and fit Michelin Cross Climates before next winter sets in.
Your points about the RFTs are really interesting and I would completely agree. My F10 SE had 17" run flats which were fine, but the 19"s on the M Sport are nowhere near as good. The ride is fine, but on rubbish surfaces (which lets face it accounts for about 80-90% of the UKs A and B roads now) there is a lot of bumping, fidgeting and it is not as settled as the F10. I expected a firmer ride, and I knew the sidewalls on the RFTs are not very forgiving at all... but when I burn through this set I am going to think about my options very carefully!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:52 AM   #9
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

"VDC does improve overall comfort across certain types of poorer surfaces and undulating road surface, but it does NOT eliminate or massively improve the "crash bang wallop" across potholes and some of our grimmer road surfaces in UK."

Agreed, though some RFTs are definitely better than others.

I'm running non-RFT 245/45 18 Rainsport 3's on my G30 on MSport suspension and the ride quality over potholes and cats eyes etc is really good. They're cheap as chips and brilliant in the wet, and quiet to boot. Turn-in isn't as sharp but the slight loss there is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:

Comfort seats.
Head up display
Adaptive cruise.
VDC
Alum Trim
Hi if Loudspeakers

Interesting points. I'm surprised to hear that the ride quality, even on 18 inch alloys, fall short of your expectations. It sounds like you need to gift yourself a set of non-RFT for Christmas.

However, Adaptive dampers are very good but have limitations that even non-RFT can't resolve. I have had the pleasure of driving a G12 730d M-Sport on 20 inch alloys for a few days. Some people casually say that the G30 is so good it makes the G11 redundant. This is not true. The 7-Series filter potholes and levels speed bumps in ways the 5-Series on VDC can't rival. My local roads in Kent are outright ghastly and the G12 glide over anything I chuck at it without crashing or dipping.

If you appreciate a smooth ride then you should consider the G11.
      04-23-2018, 04:34 AM   #11
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Quote:

Comfort seats.
Head up display
Adaptive cruise.
VDC
Alum Trim
Hi if Loudspeakers

Interesting points. I'm surprised to hear that the ride quality, even on 18 inch alloys, fall short of your expectations. It sounds like you need to gift yourself a set of non-RFT for Christmas.

However, Adaptive dampers are very good but have limitations that even non-RFT can't resolve. I have had the pleasure of driving a G12 730d M-Sport on 20 inch alloys for a few days. Some people casually say that the G30 is so good it makes the G11 redundant. This is not true. The 7-Series filter potholes and levels speed bumps in ways the 5-Series on VDC can't rival. My local roads in Kent are outright ghastly and the G12 glide over anything I chuck at it without crashing or dipping.

If you appreciate a smooth ride then you should consider the G11.
7 series has air suspension doesn't it?

I find the g30 with adaptive drive on my 19" rfts on winter or summer absolutely fine. Potholes should be avoided in any car on any tyres. My wife's car had 17" non rfts and the potholes basically ruined 3 tyres.

The 5 deals with them very well and maybe it's the adaptive drive that does it but I doubt it. Comfort rides over unevenness better than sport for sure. But in sport it's more composed when I want to quickly steer around a pothole
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm a bit surprised at some of the ride quality comments.

I was surprised how well a G30 530d xDrive on 20" wheels and M-sport suspension coped on typical broken roads, where I've been very critical of BMW on any RFT wheel combination over the years.

Not so smooth as my F11 on 18" RFTs with Adaptive Drive. Then I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I know the rear air suspension helps a little in the F11, over the worst of surfaces, but with 20" run-flat shod wheels and passive M-sport suspension? Shows how BMW have moved the game on for sure.

My concern... are we still seeing some wheel-tyre combinations don't work as well as others? And it may not just be the biggest rims and lowest profiles at fault.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe, Pete. I also test drove a 530dx on MSport and 20s and thought it rode slightly better than my own 530dx on MSport when it arrived on 19s. Seemed like the deflection of the wheel on a pothole edge was better controlled. GY Eagle F1 Asy 3's in both cases. I thought it was odd at the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Another cosmetic item to consider is that sport models come with anthracite headlining as standard (well at least in the U.K. they do). So if that's of consideration....
Of course you can option that separately as well if you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I'd forget the VDC. I didn't have it on my previous G30 and I do on my current one. it's not worth it. If anything the non-VDC car rode better. Spend it on HK or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #16
M60WEB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d SE G31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

I was surprised how well a G30 530d xDrive on 20" wheels and M-sport suspension coped on typical broken roads, where I've been very critical of BMW on any RFT wheel combination over the years.

Not so smooth as my F11 on 18" RFTs with Adaptive Drive. Then I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I know the rear air suspension helps a little in the F11, over the worst of surfaces, but with 20" run-flat shod wheels and passive M-sport suspension? Shows how BMW have moved the game on for sure.

My concern... are we still seeing some wheel-tyre combinations don't work as well as others? And it may not just be the biggest rims and lowest profiles at fault.
On the RFT comments, I'm not expecting any miracles over some of our poorer road surfaces.
In response to one of the comments here I try and avoid "potholes" wherever possible,..! albeit that's not always successful in the dark or very wet conditions. My main issue with with my setup up (SE / 18" / VDC / Michelin Primacy RFT) is the ride is a bit disappointing compared to a previous 535d M sport on normal rubber and larger wheels.
The VDC is very effective generally but cannot compensate for a tyre that does not yield to any imperfections on the road.
I thought the Tyre technology had moved on a bit from my first E60 M sport which had 18" runflats; I don't think it has, and the ride Comfort in my wife's Polo on the same roads confirms it......
Another downside to these dreadful RFT things is the tendency for the car to skip/lose grip across uneven surfaces when cornering, something I have not experienced in my last 4 cars.. probably due to normal tyres adapting to to the road contour more readily.
2015 VW Touareg 262 R-Line / Canyon Grey
2008 E60 535d LCI / Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:46 AM   #17
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

On the RFT comments, I'm not expecting any miracles over some of our poorer road surfaces.
In response to one of the comments here I try and avoid "potholes" wherever possible,..! albeit that's not always successful in the dark or very wet conditions. My main issue with with my setup up (SE / 18" / VDC / Michelin Primacy RFT) is the ride is a bit disappointing compared to a previous 535d M sport on normal rubber and larger wheels.
The VDC is very effective generally but cannot compensate for a tyre that does not yield to any imperfections on the road.
I thought the Tyre technology had moved on a bit from my first E60 M sport which had 18" runflats; I don't think it has, and the ride Comfort in my wife's Polo on the same roads confirms it......
Another downside to these dreadful RFT things is the tendency for the car to skip/lose grip across uneven surfaces when cornering, something I have not experienced in my last 4 cars.. probably due to normal tyres adapting to to the road contour more readily.
Sounds like you have crappy tyres. I've got the Goodyear eagle f1 rfts on 19 msport with adaptive and not experienced anywhere near this discomfort you're referring to. The same roads on my e61 se suspension on 17" rfts feel much more uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:41 AM   #18
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I have always preferred the look of MSport compared to SE versions. In fact I retrofitted a MSport front bumper on my SE F10

However I saw an SE g30 in Mediterranean Blue yesterday and I was wowed by the front end. In fact I went round the roundabout twice in order to appreciate the car more

So if you are getting an SE, one in Mediterranean Blue would be a very good option
      04-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #19
EEnBEE
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d SE Xdrive

I decided to go SE with my new G31 530d xdrive. I liked the sport seats, sensatec dash covering, and the LED fog lights on an MSport. However I wasn’t that crazy about 664M alloys and the styling I could take or leave, having had an F31 330d MSport. The luxury / comfort thing seems more appropriate for a 5 than a 3. But, yes, it does look more conservative. I was going for VDC either way. I went with sports seats and fogs on top of my SE spec, went for 18” rims, and saved £2,500+. I may have spent most of that on other extras though!

One of my priorities was ride comfort and was not disappointed when I picked the car up on Pirelli P7s and Style 684s. However I also bought some nearly new 662M wheels from a 520d MSport as a platform for my winter set up. As these came with Summer tyres Michelin Primacy 3s, I thought I’d swap and use them until this coming winter. OMG, the Michelin’s are noisy and harsh by comparison to the Pirellis. My 91 year old father noticed the change instantly before I even mentioned the change. So watch out those of you looking for that comfort - make sure you are not given Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #20
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

That is a bit surprising. I have run Primacy 3's on 18s (on my last F10) and they were fine, pretty much identical for ride and noise to other tyres on the same vehicle (Dunlop SportMaxx RT's, Uniroyal Rainsport 3's).

Are the tyre pressures correct ?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #21
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, if you have G31 not G30, won't you have problems with the wider rears from a G30 MSport ?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
EEnBEE
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d SE Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
That is a bit surprising. I have run Primacy 3's on 18s (on my last F10) and they were fine, pretty much identical for ride and noise to other tyres on the same vehicle (Dunlop SportMaxx RT's, Uniroyal Rainsport 3's).

Are the tyre pressures correct ?
Yes I was surprised too, and pressures were my first thought. They were indeed marginally higher than the P7, so I reduced them for the sake of equality. No difference. Much harsher than the P7.

On the wheel sizes, g30 and g31 are the same so wider rims at the rear are fine. One issue I was less clear on was winter tyres on the 662ms. BMW recommend all square 245/45 r 18 for winters but the 662m rims are staggered. I am told it should be ok to fit these on the wider 9J rim at the rear, but I’m not so sue. To get round this I might use the 684s supplied with the car for winter as they are 8J all round, and use the 662 for summer - I prefer their look anyway.
Appreciate 0