BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Stuck in Quality Check

07-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M Sport / '21 M550i

Stuck in Quality Check

Hi guys,

My order went into Quality Check status on 6/16 and it's been exactly a month but it still is in the same status.
I've called BMW Genius multiple times and spoke with three different people but they couldn't really give me an answer.
So, is it possible that my car is actually on it's way but just the system has not been updating for some reason?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as this waiting with uncertainty is driving me into insanity..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
Lanc1988
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I also have a 2021 m550 that has been stuck at quality check for about 4 weeks now.
My sales guy checked with their distribution manager last week and they don't know the cause but said there are a "handful" of other cars stuck in the same status as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
Lanc1988
Rep

There is a similar post in the M5 forum and they say it's an issue with the parking assistance package needing rework:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27800151
Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      07-14-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BWM 530E

My 530e has been there from 6/18 also.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Although unfortunate, I’m glad to know I’m not alone in this..
Thank you guys.
It’s crazy how just the 5 series are having so many problems.
Just one thing after another

Last edited by StarrySky; 07-14-2021 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #6
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Although unfortunate, I’m glad to know I’m not alone in this..
Thank you guys.
It’s crazy how just the 5 series are having so many problems.
Just one thing after another
Can you elaborate? This sounds like a part availability issue. The higher you go in the range, the more technology it has and more likely that there is a part shortage due to COVID.

I don't think this is a "problem" per se, unless you know for a fact that there is an actual issue with the cameras/parking system. That would be very surprising unless they changed the manufacturer. I had them in my X5 M50i and never had issues with the actual camera system.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Dan W
Longtime Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Might be more of an issue with the 550's, for whatever reason. I have a 540 that docked in Baltimore on July 6th, got through the VDC center, then on a truck on the 12th, will arrive at the dealer in St. Louis today. My car was not part of any of the stop sales (missed one stop sale by a single production day!). Hope everyone's cars move through the system as soon as possible.
      07-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Lanc1988
Rep

Has anyone got out of Quality Check yet?
I'm now at about 6 weeks and still no official reason why other than what I've read on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc1988 View Post
I'm now at about 6 weeks and still no official reason why other than what I've read on this forum.
I have been stuck there since 6/18 (5 weeks). BMW is not very forth coming with information.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc1988 View Post
Hey Lanc, it's about 6 weeks for me too and no change either.
I'm just hoping that for some reason the system never updated but the car is actually on it's way.
You should ask your CA, usually the dealer knows the status and if it's on a boat, what the name of it is.
There's no way our car can be sitting in the factory for this long and also the factory will be shutting down next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #11
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSNOW View Post
I have been stuck there since 6/18 (5 weeks). BMW is not very forth coming with information.
Same, BMW Genius wasn't much of a help either but they checked and said everything was ok except for the status.
That it's not waiting for a part and that there isn't any hold or stop sale on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Same, BMW Genius wasn't much of a help either but they checked and said everything was ok except for the status.
That it's not waiting for a part and that there isn't any hold or stop sale on it.
I suggest you visit your dealer and ask your CA to pull up your order in DCSnet. It may give more details on the issue holding up your car.
      07-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Just spoke with my CA and he said it’s still on the assembly line because of massive chip shortage..
Which is crazy to me because it’s been a month and a half and there have been so many that have finished production
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just spoke with my CA and he said it’s still on the assembly line because of massive chip shortage..
Which is crazy to me because it’s been a month and a half and there have been so many that have finished production
That doesn't make any sense. We have people who ordered in early June and theirs are already on the ship. Something smells fishy...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #15
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This evening I got this:

"Here is what was BMW sent me The plants will not give us updates on these vehicles . . . all we get is that are “parts shortages”."
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #16
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your car won't be sitting on the assembly line. It's parked in a yard or it's over at the factory re-work shop. As I said, visit your dealer and look at the order status yourself in DCSnet. It will give a 3 digit status code or might have a code that when you mouse over it will show more details on the hold up.
      07-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anybody think we will get these before 2022?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This evening I got this:

"Here is what was BMW sent me The plants will not give us updates on these vehicles . . . all we get is that are "parts shortages"."
I'm surprised bmw builds cars they know they can't ship due to missing parts. Pre covid there were commonly situations where cars shipped with missing trim, etc. and those parts were separately shipped to the VPC for the cars to be refitted there before delivery to dealer. This situation is clearly way uglier. This assumes "parts shortages" accurately represents the real hold up for these cars.

I recently read how Tesla has been substituting electronic components (or their suppliers are) and in some cases it's required software engineers to re-write code to allow everything to work as designed.

It's a real sh*t show out there.
      07-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #19
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Placed an order in the first week of July. Car was started, painted, assembled, etc. all within a week. Now the for the past 5 days, possibly a week, it's just listed "at the port." I'm starting to fear the worst for it and I'm thinking quite a few parts were in short supply and that car is going to sit there for a few weeks, if not a month. Or more.

Called Genius last week and they said there was nothing that showed the car being marked for a delay and that I should call back this week. Called today and I there was an automated message saying there was a company-wide meeting and to call back tomorrow.

Still impressed all of it was done within 3 weeks but the "at the port" part feels like it's going to be a long term thing. A few of you lucky folks managed to get yours on a ship and I was following you guys a few days behind, as per your timeline but it looks like I drew the short straw and might get hit hard by the parts shortage.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #20
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Placed an order in the first week of July. Car was started, painted, assembled, etc. all within a week. Now the for the past 5 days, possibly a week, it's just listed "at the port." I'm starting to fear the worst for it and I'm thinking quite a few parts were in short supply and that car is going to sit there for a few weeks, if not a month. Or more.

Called Genius last week and they said there was nothing that showed the car being marked for a delay and that I should call back this week. Called today and I there was an automated message saying there was a company-wide meeting and to call back tomorrow.

Still impressed all of it was done within 3 weeks but the "at the port" part feels like it's going to be a long term thing. A few of you lucky folks managed to get yours on a ship and I was following you guys a few days behind, as per your timeline but it looks like I drew the short straw and might get hit hard by the parts shortage.
If it makes you feel better, I placed an order in early July and it's still "scheduled for production." So at least you had some movement!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #21
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
If it makes you feel better, I placed an order in early July and it's still "scheduled for production." So at least you had some movement!
Ouch. When I went to my local dealer in the Chicago suburbs, I was told production would begin right away. But once I started tracking via the VIN, it was already on the third stage, that production was ready to begin and then 10ish days later it was paint and assembled. I was shocked.

Maybe my dealer had tons of allocations just sitting around whereas your dealer might have been pretty popular and ran out of allocations early on in the month. That means yours hopefully gets accepted first week of August?

I called BMW Genius again and managed to get through and they told me it could be anywhere from 1-3 weeks at port. I don't know if he meant total or from today onward but that was a bit disheartening. I think the dealership said to expect the car by week 2 or 3 of August, or September first week, at the latest, but that speedy production time had my hopes up real high to get it by mid-August.

Hopefully yours is on the way soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #22
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Ouch. When I went to my local dealer in the Chicago suburbs, I was told production would begin right away. But once I started tracking via the VIN, it was already on the third stage, that production was ready to begin and then 10ish days later it was paint and assembled. I was shocked.

Maybe my dealer had tons of allocations just sitting around whereas your dealer might have been pretty popular and ran out of allocations early on in the month. That means yours hopefully gets accepted first week of August?

I called BMW Genius again and managed to get through and they told me it could be anywhere from 1-3 weeks at port. I don't know if he meant total or from today onward but that was a bit disheartening. I think the dealership said to expect the car by week 2 or 3 of August, or September first week, at the latest, but that speedy production time had my hopes up real high to get it by mid-August.

Hopefully yours is on the way soon.
They actually had to get an allocation for me. They confirmed that the build date is in July.

Which dealership did you go with? I went with Zeigler.
Appreciate 0