BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Stuck in Quality Check

08-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #67
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Just learned BMW is prioritizing MY22s over any unfinished MY21s that were produced after June 9.
There are handful of them and are already fully built but are just in need of microchips to finish, but it’s going to MY22s.
They’re allocating all resources to MY22s pretty much screwing over any MY21s that are on the sideline.
As a MY22 build owner, that's total bullshit!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #68
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Just learned BMW is prioritizing MY22s over any unfinished MY21s that were produced after June 9.
There are handful of them and are already fully built but are just in need of microchips to finish, but it’s going to MY22s.
They’re allocating all resources to MY22s pretty much screwing over any MY21s that are on the sideline.
Start talking to your dealer now about incentives and discounts for getting a 21 when 22s are already hitting the lots. It's not the dealer's fault but if they can't assuage you for corporate's third-class treatment of people who ordered literally a week or two before 22s were open for order, I'd bail.

Even if you can wait until September or October or whenever they decide to value the MY21 customers, it's about the principle. Surely they're trying to primp up MY22 sales because I'm sure MY21 sales won't look good come September and beyond.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation but I would certainly be thinking about bailing and either going for a MY22 with minimal discount or telling them to shove the MY21. And like I said, if you can wait, you may have a bit more time to seek leverage as well as other options from other brands.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 02:09 AM   #69
5aber
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I ordered my M550i on 5th of July which still has not been scheduled for production. However I received a phone call from the dealership saying it cannot be scheduled due to microchip shortage and the only way forward is to remove the Parking Assistant Plus

I have agreed to remove the Parking Assistant Plus so hopefully it should go to production soon but it really shit that BMW waited a month before deciding to pick the phone up.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #70
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aber View Post
I ordered my M550i on 5th of July which still has not been scheduled for production. However I received a phone call from the dealership saying it cannot be scheduled due to microchip shortage and the only way forward is to remove the Parking Assistant Plus

I have agreed to remove the Parking Assistant Plus so hopefully it should go to production soon but it really shit that BMW waited a month before deciding to pick the phone up.
I really hope those of us that have our cars built and in transit don't find out we too got a package deletion only once we go to pick it up.

It sucks you guys have to remove it but at least you've been told beforehand. Surround View is a big deal for me and I'd probably not agree to a car if it was missing it, at least at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #71
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
I really hope those of us that have our cars built and in transit don't find out we too got a package deletion only once we go to pick it up.

It sucks you guys have to remove it but at least you've been told beforehand. Surround View is a big deal for me and I'd probably not agree to a car if it was missing it, at least at this price point.
Agreed. I’ll wait for availability and try again in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #72
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
There are handful of them and are already fully built but are just in need of microchips to finish, but it's going to MY22s.
They're allocating all resources to MY22s pretty much screwing over any MY21s that are on the sideline.
Seems unusual BMW would leave an unfinished, but 99% completed car, in a lot, while simply prioritizing MY22 cars. There's got to be more to the truth behind this quality hold.

It's quite possible some components, modules, etc.are different in the MY22 cars and those parts are not compatible with a MY21 car. Many car manufacturers spent the past year+ asking suppliers to address the most vulnerable components and find alternatives for them. And we have no idea what that end result means. Wiring harnesses, modules, sensors, software might be different to accommodate all the changes. So, it might mean a lot more than simple prioritization. There's no good reason to leave a nearly completed car that is now a year old sitting to rot.

I hope this works out for all of you. And for the MY22 orders who are being asked to delete options just to get a car into production. Sad, considering the cost of these cars. I feel for you all.
      08-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #73
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I may be backing out of my M550i order (currently starting production) in case I close a deal on an M5 I have my eye on. If that happens, I'll gladly refer you guys to my Chicago dealership if you are interested in this build.

Production completion is scheduled before end of August, so hopefully this will be available before the end of September. Much better than putting a new order in.

To put things into perspective, every dealership countrywide that had a similar specced car and I had reached out to before placing my order - the car already had an owner acocunted for. These typically go really fast.
Attached Images

Last edited by AmooManiak; 08-08-2021 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 02:43 AM   #74
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M Sport / '21 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Seems unusual BMW would leave an unfinished, but 99% completed car, in a lot, while simply prioritizing MY22 cars. There's got to be more to the truth behind this quality hold.

It's quite possible some components, modules, etc.are different in the MY22 cars and those parts are not compatible with a MY21 car. Many car manufacturers spent the past year+ asking suppliers to address the most vulnerable components and find alternatives for them. And we have no idea what that end result means. Wiring harnesses, modules, sensors, software might be different to accommodate all the changes. So, it might mean a lot more than simple prioritization. There's no good reason to leave a nearly completed car that is now a year old sitting to rot.

I hope this works out for all of you. And for the MY22 orders who are being asked to delete options just to get a car into production. Sad, considering the cost of these cars. I feel for you all.
I think it might be at the Bremerhaven Port and possibly there’s more to the truth behind this quality hold.
Also, in situations like this, I just wish BMW could be transparent and tell us the reason…

Last edited by StarrySky; 08-09-2021 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #75
5aber
Rep

Just had a phone call from the dealership saying they can't schedule my M550i even if they remove the Parking Assistant Plus. They reckon they need to remove more options but they don't know which ones. They are supposed to let me know tomorrow.

It's getting too ridiculous! It feels like this car is full of compromises and I'm considering to cancel my order and go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #76
Lanc1988
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Got an update from my dealership today on my 21 m550 after I asked if he could escalate the issue to get more info on why it's stuck at Quality Check and he said:

"Hey Lance! I can send out another email to the distribution manager. However, it doesn't go any higher then that. You along with about 10 other builds, and 4 other sold cars are in the same status, and same time frame.
I talked to my regional over the phone to try and see what might be going on. He said with 5, 7, and 8 series BMW's the plant that builds them had a shortage in parts, and shut down for a few weeks. Everything just came to a hault. He said it should be back up and going here shortly. Don't know how true this is, but that's the information I received."

I think the 10+4 cars are just at my dealership so who knows how many total are also stuck.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #77
HBEaker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'm another MY21 M550i, order placed 5/13, production began on 6/8, and I've been stuck in the VPC/VDC since 7/29 with no end in sight.

The irritating part, for me, is that as has been provided elsewhere, there are MY22 M550s on dealer lots with similar specs (the Surround View cameras, mainly). When my car left the factory in Germany on 6/23 (almost 7 weeks' ago), if there were parts missing, BMW knew it. I expect a little more open and transparent communication from BMW. I understand the global supply chain is a hot mess, but I expect BMW to (A) level with me and tell me what's going on, and (B) to prioritize existing customers in the pipeline before new dealer inventory.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #78
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBEaker View Post
I'm another MY21 M550i, order placed 5/13, production began on 6/8, and I've been stuck in the VPC/VDC since 7/29 with no end in sight.

The irritating part, for me, is that as has been provided elsewhere, there are MY22 M550s on dealer lots with similar specs (the Surround View cameras, mainly). When my car left the factory in Germany on 6/23 (almost 7 weeks' ago), if there were parts missing, BMW knew it. I expect a little more open and transparent communication from BMW. I understand the global supply chain is a hot mess, but I expect BMW to (A) level with me and tell me what's going on, and (B) to prioritize existing customers in the pipeline before new dealer inventory.
Hello,
Welcome to the club that no one wants to be in..
Maybe as they were making our cars, they dropped it and it exploded?
But yes, that's actually all I really want as well.
Instead we're left in the dark waiting with no idea of when and while MY22 M550i as well as M5's are already at dealers.

Last edited by StarrySky; 08-09-2021 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 06:52 AM   #79
HBEaker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello,
Welcome to the club that no one wants to be in..
Do we have t-shirts?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #80
5aber
Rep

I've just been informed by BMW that they have made a mistake and they do not need to remove Parking Assistant Plus or Drive Recorder option and they can build the car as it was spec'd but they still can't schedule it for production.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #81
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 CompX; '98 m Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Do we have t-shirts?
Yes - Miss Bcsjsvksbk Ksbakskja is selling them on the M550i Owners FB Group...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #82
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

Any movement on your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #83
IndyZack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Any movement on your car?
Also so HBEaker doesn't feel alone, I placed my order on 2/13 and mine has been sitting in quality check since 6/19.

I ordered Alpine White/Ivory Leather, Open Pore trim, shadow line. Chose every regular production option + the Carbon Pro spoiler.

Seeing as the Parking Assistance Package, Massaging Seats, Digital Key, Wireless Charging Mat, and Automatic Trunk lid have all been removed as features (standard or optional) on the 22 configurator... I can only assume the hold up is with one of those features.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 02:37 AM   #84
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

No change in status, it’s been over two months now.
Found out on Monday the hold is because of lack of parts for the integral electric steering wheel.
So it seems it’s still in the factory unable to be finished.
It should be the same reason for most of MY21 5 series produced after June 9 that are stuck in Quality Check.
No ETA, since MY22 are priority.
But my CA thinks it’ll finally start moving sometime soon and come in October.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #85
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

This is nuts. Ask them to honor their deal for a MY22 and abandon this thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #86
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No change in status, it’s been over two months now.
Found out on Monday the hold is because of lack of parts for the integral electric steering wheel.
So it seems it’s still in the factory unable to be finished.
It should be the same reason for most of MY21 5 series produced after June 9 that are stuck in Quality Check.
No ETA, since MY22 are priority.
But my CA thinks it’ll finally start moving sometime soon and come in October.
I'll believe it when I see the status change. Missing a part for the dynamic handling package seems unlikely since its still orderable on MY22 cars, unless they've found a substitute component.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #87
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
This is nuts. Ask them to honor their deal for a MY22 and abandon this thing.
Too many missing features on the MY22 cars compared to my build. I could do without the massaging seats (my wife insisted), but the wireless charging mat is no bueno. I hate cables and look forward to the wireless apple car play and qi charger combo.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #88
Lanc1988
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I didn't get the dynamic handling package on my 21 M550 that has been stuck at quality check since 6/17 so I don't believe I have the integral active steering. So there must be issues with other parts as well causing the delay.
Appreciate 0