BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Stuck in Quality Check

08-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #89
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
This is nuts. Ask them to honor their deal for a MY22 and abandon this thing.
Too many missing features on the MY22 cars compared to my build. I could do without the massaging seats (my wife insisted), but the wireless charging mat is no bueno. I hate cables and look forward to the wireless apple car play and qi charger combo.
Wireless charging in the G30 is unimpressive. I believe it's only a 5W charger so your phone will discharge faster than it will charge while using wireless Carplay. And it will likely heat up which will disconnect the wireless charging feature until the phone cools down.

BMW needs to add active cooling to the charging pad to keep air flowing and help the phone stay under its temp threshold. And up the charger to 10-15W along with increase its size to fit larger phones. Maybe next gen pad will be improved.

I have a $40 cup holder mount wireless charger for my S21 ultra and it works well. Better than the stock one in my my19 540i that won't even fit the s21 ultra.
      08-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #90
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc1988 View Post
I didn't get the dynamic handling package on my 21 M550 that has been stuck at quality check since 6/17 so I don't believe I have the integral active steering. So there must be issues with other parts as well causing the delay.
There likely are other issues or an issue no one has yet to speculate on. BMWAG likely doesn't tell their distributor (BMWNA) much of anything on these delays. When they're ready to talk there will be an official bulletin or notice in DCSnet about these cars stuck in QC.
      08-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #91
IndyZack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
There likely are other issues or an issue no one has yet to speculate on. BMWAG likely doesn't tell their distributor (BMWNA) much of anything on these delays. When they're ready to talk there will be an official bulletin or notice in DCSnet about these cars stuck in QC.
Or we'll never know and the car will just show up one day.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #92
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M Sport / '21 M550i

Quote:
Or maybe we’ll get our cars in 2024..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #93
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone with a car stuck in QC will be aware of status updates if vehicles complete and move through transport steps.
      08-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #94
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Or maybe we’ll get our cars in 2024..
At the rate we're going that is definitely a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #95
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wireless charging in the G30 is unimpressive. I believe it's only a 5W charger so your phone will discharge faster than it will charge while using wireless Carplay. And it will likely heat up which will disconnect the wireless charging feature until the phone cools down.

BMW needs to add active cooling to the charging pad to keep air flowing and help the phone stay under its temp threshold. And up the charger to 10-15W along with increase its size to fit larger phones. Maybe next gen pad will be improved.

I have a $40 cup holder mount wireless charger for my S21 ultra and it works well. Better than the stock one in my my19 540i that won't even fit the s21 ultra.
I'm firmly in the small phone camp, so the size of the charger won't be an issue for me. But as for the speed of the charging, all I really care about is that the wireless car play won't drain the phone dead driving home an hour from work on the occasion I will actually drive it to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #96
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm firmly in the small phone camp, so the size of the charger won't be an issue for me. But as for the speed of the charging, all I really care about is that the wireless car play won't drain the phone dead driving home an hour from work on the occasion I will actually drive it to work.
I hear you. What many people experience is the phone heats up and wireless charging stops. In other words wireless charging doesn't work well when you really need it. This issue applies to all phones, not just iPhone.
      08-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #97
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
BMWNA is fully owned by BMW. There is no way that BMWNA doesn't know what is happening. But BMWNA apparently isn't fully sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #98
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
BMWNA is fully owned by BMW. There is no way that BMWNA doesn't know what is happening. But BMWNA apparently isn't fully sharing.
That’s what I was speculating on, that BMWNA is apparently not fully sharing.
Also, I’m starting to doubt that it’s parts shortage now, because it’s been over two months without any progress.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #99
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
This isn't the way it works with large corporations. The headquarters gives out info on a need to know basis. It's that simple. Even some staff at BMWAG do not know all details of issues until those issues are made more "public". Large manufacturers have a reputation to uphold and competitive pressures that cause them to do things an outsider would think is ridiculous.

I'm in no way saying BMWNA has no idea of these delayed vehicles. Of course they do, the VINs have been issued and the vehicles are on their inventory. All I'm saying is they likely get scant details from BMWAG and they don't care much b/c it's a small numbers of vehicles. They've got bigger fish to fry.
      08-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #100
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in no way saying BMWNA has no idea of these delayed vehicles. Of course they do, the VINs have been issued and the vehicles are on their inventory. All I'm saying is they likely get scant details from BMWAG and they don't care much b/c it's a small numbers of vehicles. They've got bigger fish to fry.
It leads me to believe this is exactly what's going on.
I've spoken with a couple of BMW Genius last month and they didn't say outright, but gave a hint that MY22 models are more priority over w/e cars that are on hold.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #101
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It leads me to believe this is exactly what's going on.
I've spoken with a couple of BMW Genius last month and they didn't say outright, but gave a hint that MY22 models are more priority over w/e cars that are on hold.
At some point don't you just finish the cars though? The appetite for consumers buying current model year cars late in the year is low especially when the 22s are flowing in.

I'm also not getting this as a daily, It will be parked any time salt is on the roads. So taking delivery of a car in, what will be October at the earliest probably, doesn't make much sense to me. I'll be making a payment just to park it for the first 3-4 months.

The flip side is, I sold my Fun in in May because this car was being built in June and would have arrived in July. So this nonsense has cost me a summer of hooning!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #102
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
At some point don't you just finish the cars though? The appetite for consumers buying current model year cars late in the year is low especially when the 22s are flowing in.

I'm also not getting this as a daily, It will be parked any time salt is on the roads. So taking delivery of a car in, what will be October at the earliest probably, doesn't make much sense to me. I'll be making a payment just to park it for the first 3-4 months.

The flip side is, I sold my Fun in in May because this car was being built in June and would have arrived in July. So this nonsense has cost me a summer of hooning!
I don't have a horse in this race, nor my money, but I'd suggest backing out if you ordered a 21 and still don't have it. I've taken delivery of my 22 ordered in the first week of July and I have seen MY22s on dealer lots, for sale, for almost a month. I'd back out and let someone else buy a 21 a month or two from now and let the dealer try to sell it at a discount to incentivize it over a customer buying or ordering a custom MY22.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #103
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
I don't have a horse in this race, nor my money, but I'd suggest backing out if you ordered a 21 and still don't have it. I've taken delivery of my 22 ordered in the first week of July and I have seen MY22s on dealer lots, for sale, for almost a month. I'd back out and let someone else buy a 21 a month or two from now and let the dealer try to sell it at a discount to incentivize it over a customer buying or ordering a custom MY22.
I just got off the phone with the sales manager, and respectfully lit a fire under him. He's going to call "Baltimore" tomorrow to try and get an answer. He has two M550s stuck in QC apparently.

I told him that I was about to take my ball elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #104
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I just got off the phone with the sales manager, and respectfully lit a fire under him. He's going to call "Baltimore" tomorrow to try and get an answer. He has two M550s stuck in QC apparently.

I told him that I was about to take my ball elsewhere.
I would say keep that fire lit through signing the papers when taking delivery. A discount on a service plan, protection plan, etc. He can play hardball but if he plans on selling to the next customer, I doubt that new customer would pay MY22 prices for a MY21 when there are MY22s either on the lot or on their way to the dealership.

At least it got the manager to reach out again and, hopefully, more genuinely. I get theirs a parts shortage but most of us MY22 owners got our cars with little to no delay. Less than six weeks from date of production to my dealer lot. 3 days later it was in my hands. No reason to have MY21s sitting this long waiting for a dinky part.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #105
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Got this from the sales manager today, via an email from BMW NA

I can share some good news about this, a few weeks ago we had 600 5 series in 155, last week 160, this week it’s down to 90. So they are doing the rework and releasing the cars.

I think they are working on the remaining MY21’s first as a lot of them are P1’s and customers are really complaining. The customer will get the vehicle, it will just take a few weeks longer, I know they are excited and want the car as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #106
Lanc1988
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:

I can share some good news about this, a few weeks ago we had 600 5 series in 155, last week 160, this week it’s down to 90. So they are doing the rework and releasing the cars.

I think they are working on the remaining MY21’s first as a lot of them are P1’s and customers are really complaining. The customer will get the vehicle, it will just take a few weeks longer, I know they are excited and want the car as soon as possible.
That is good news. I am still in Quality Check so I must be one of the remaining 90.

Thanks for sharing the update.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #107
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

At some point they do, it's just on the side in a lot at the factory or at Bremerhaven Port until completed and finally released.
And that sucks!
But we're all on the same boat and hopefully you can enjoy it in some way for those 3-4 months
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #108
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the good news, I hope that is true..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #109
IndyZack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the good news, I hope that is true..
I traded a few emails back and forth with the sales manager and decided to ditch this car. I just feel like "rework" is code speak for we didn't assemble it right to begin with, he agreed. Whatever that means could be something major, like we didn't apply the rustproofing correctly or we installed some incorrect major component and had to partially disassemble the car to fix it.

Who knows what it is? What I know for sure is for, near as makes no difference, $100k I don't want a car that didn't leave the assembly line correct, sat in a lot for 2 months, then gets rework.

So I've got them working on $ numbers and a production number for a 22 M5 Comp, in Black on Black on Black or "Fully Murdered Out" as the kids say these days. The question now is slick top or not?

If any of you want or know someone who wants a 21 M550 in alpine white with ivory nappa with every option + carbon pro spoiler. Dryer and Reinbold BMW in Indy will eventually have one in stock...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #110
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I traded a few emails back and forth with the sales manager and decided to ditch this car. I just feel like "rework" is code speak for we didn't assemble it right to begin with, he agreed. Whatever that means could be something major, like we didn't apply the rustproofing correctly or we installed some incorrect major component and had to partially disassemble the car to fix it.

Who knows what it is? What I know for sure is for, near as makes no difference, $100k I don't want a car that didn't leave the assembly line correct, sat in a lot for 2 months, then gets rework.

So I've got them working on $ numbers and a production number for a 22 M5 Comp, in Black on Black on Black or "Fully Murdered Out" as the kids say these days. The question now is slick top or not?

If any of you want or know someone who wants a 21 M550 in alpine white with ivory nappa with every option + carbon pro spoiler. Dryer and Reinbold BMW in Indy will eventually have one in stock...
That's a concern of mine after taking delivery of my MY22. That it was produced a bit "too fast" and that some corners were cut. I don't know, if it's true, if I'd be more pissed if the issues came to light early on or later on (3+ years) down the line.

Probably a good decision to walk from the car. A car sitting for two months just like that? That battery might take a hit if it doesn't hit dealer floors until 3+ months after production.
Appreciate 0