BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2020 BMW M550i vs Alpina B5 by PistonHeads

11-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #23
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
2020 BMW M550i vs Alpina B5 review by PistonHeads.
ahem, 2021 M550i vs 2020 Alpina B5... no?
      11-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #24
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
2020 BMW M550i vs Alpina B5 review by PistonHeads.
ahem, 2021 M550i vs 2020 Alpina B5... no?
Indeed. The Racechip videos that came out have done the same thing as well. Refer to the 2021 LCI as a 2020 model.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #25
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
I sense this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Alpina body kit looks a bit dated on the G30. I know it’s their signature look (and I have loved pretty much every Alpina car in the past), but it’s like the car designs have moved on and the Alpina body kits haven’t.

With some care, I think they could make their cars look a little more modern without losing their identity.

Looks aren’t everything though obviously. I haven’t been lucky enough to drive one yet.
there is nothing wrong with the design. complaints like that is why the coming BMW designs have been horrible lately

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
there is nothing wrong with the design. complaints like that is why the coming BMW designs have been horrible lately
I don’t think it is. I’m not criticising BMW here. I love the styling of the G30, and most of the other cars BMW have produced until very recently.

I’m not a ‘progress for the sake of progress’ kind of guy. I generally dislike things that look too modern. I just think the Alpina kit looks a bit dated in comparison to the styling of the cars it adorns, that’s all.

But hey, that’s just my opinion. I know many won’t agree with me. Regardless of what I might think of their appearance, they seem to be awesome cars by every other measure. One day, I hope to drive one to find out for myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #27
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweEngineer View Post
I can't really understand the Alpina.
What's so premium with a standard 5-series with some cheap add-ons (front lip/splitter), or the cheap decals that were used back in the 80s?
I'm sure if any forum member saw that lip on ebay they wouldn't dare adding it to their car.
Sure there is a v8, but that's almost the same as in the M550 with some tweaks.
Oh and let's not forget the huge price difference between this and M550.

The M550 though is an amazing package with all the comfort one could ask for such as comfort seats with high quality Merino/Nappa leather, great suspension and the M-sport package.
As far as I know, most people here on the forum opt for M-sport package because it adds so much more of the BMW sporty attributes.
The way I see it M550 is the best saloon out there for anyone who wants a great V8 sub M5 level.

I'm honestly interested in knowing what draws your attention to the Alpina, because I haven't understood it for the last 15 years.
thats the beauty of it. Its not made for those like you who buy parts for their cars on ebay. Its an acquired taste which is why they are still around. Its for the opposite of people that love the KITH M4.

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      11-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
SweEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EV6 GT-line

Quote:
Quote:
What's so premium with a standard 5-series with some cheap add-ons (front lip/splitter), or the cheap decals that were used back in the 80s?
I'm sure if any forum member saw that lip on ebay they wouldn't dare adding it to their car.

The M550 though is an amazing package with all the comfort one could ask for such as comfort seats with high quality Merino/Nappa leather, great suspension and the M-sport package.
As far as I know, most people here on the forum opt for M-sport package because it adds so much more of the BMW sporty attributes.
The way I see it M550 is the best saloon out there for anyone who wants a great V8 sub M5 level.

I'm honestly interested in knowing what draws your attention to the Alpina, because I haven't understood it for the last 15 years.
thats the beauty of it. Its not made for those like you who buy parts for their cars on ebay. Its an acquired taste which is why they are still around. Its for the opposite of people that love the KITH M4.
Quote:
Quote:

I have bought some parts from eBay back in the days and believe it or not some parts are great value with good quality, some are crap.
But that was not the point, rather that it looks very cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:50 AM   #29
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I do love the classiness of an Alpina. In touring form especially the B5 is quite a looker.
There is one of these rolling around Denver. I have no idea how, why or what - but I've seen it on the street with standard Colorado plates.

There's also a 7 series in green rolling around too.
If that is true, then unicorns do exist..

Also, back to the differentiation of the B5, or for that matter any Alpina, there is something to be said tha even BMW still believes in Alpina and the value it brings.. they don't just slap on a body kit and engine tune..they thoroughly work over the whole car.. from developing their own turbos and cooling systems to working with Akra or Boysen to develop their own exhaust setups.. the whole interior can be customized similar to BMW individual. The video where Jeremy Clarkson compares the M to the Alpina says it succinctly. Both are two different beasts and satisfy a different market segment.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      11-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #30
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:

If you don't understand it then it's definitely not for you.

Alpina has a legendary racing heritage, far more illustrious than BMWs M-Division, and they incorporate that into their builds with various engine and suspension tuning.

It's crazy to me how people will pass judgment on a car they have never even sat in, let alone driven spiritedly.
Ditto, Jeremy Clarkson is pretty good judge of cars imho. Apologies to the OP for kind of hijacking your thread
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #31
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I cannot say I knew too much about Alpina, other than occasionally seeing B7's around here until seeing both the posted video and Clarkson/The Grand Tour video in this thread. I think watching both videos kind of explains the goal of the B5, albeit not the history of Alpina, a good bit. A few people on here have pointed out the heritage and prestige of Alpina to which I didn't previously know (thanks). The comparison of the M550i to the B5 fell a bit flat for me. However, as a follow up to the M550i compare, seeing Clarkson drive it alongside the M5 kind of helped me really understand where it sits more.

However, the main problem I have in seeing its value prop is the pricing. Just based on my watching these videos -- it seems the B5 is a bit faster and perhaps a good chunk more sporty than the M550i and a bit more comfortable. However, it's not as sporty or fast as the M5 but is a chunk more comfortable than it. Yet it's pricetag is > M5 Competition range.. this is the part where I think I have trouble following. Maybe it's more of a thing where you have to experience the car to understand the value -- perhaps not something that can come across in a video or spec sheet. In my mind it seems like it's something that would sit in between the price range of the M550i (highly optioned) and the M5C.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #32
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
I could be wrong, but I think with the Alpina you’re getting a hand finished and individually numbered car with a hand built engine, so the cost of making them is probably a lot higher than the mass produced M5.

It’s a lot of money, but people will pay for that sort of exclusivity.
Appreciate 1
Vervain396.50