BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Dash cam

05-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #23
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
Computers getting upset in what way? I have not have any problem with it so far. I have checked using BimmerCode for faults and nothing really shows up. Overall I'm happy with it.
Good to hear. I had read that it would trigger electrical faults.

I really like the OEM look of that solution though for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 01:29 AM   #24
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Any updates on reliability, quality, any codes, etc? Put in my order today.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #25
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 540i xDrive M Sport

I got the VIOFO A119.
      09-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #26
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
Any updates on reliability, quality, any codes, etc? Put in my order today.
I've had it for a while now and it's still working solidly. Like how it feels oem. It's capturing videos at 4K so I'm happy with that. I can clearly read the license plate of other cars if need be.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:18 AM   #27
MarkSCD
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 X6M, '18 M550i, '21 X3 M40

Quote:
I bought this yesterday. 4K quality and going to give it a try. I like the oem look it provides. I'll let you guys know how good it is when I get it

FITCAMX Dash Camera for BMW 5, 6, 7 Series GT, G30, G32, G11 Car Driving Recorder with Front Lens 2160P 4K Accessories Built-in WiFi Loop Recording G-Sensor Night Vision APP(Android, iOS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X3FJ58M...7YJJ90GXQ94X92

Let me know if you guys are interested. I'll hook you up with the guy selling this on amazon
Hi, do you still have the contact info for the seller? How is yours doing? Any issues with yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #28
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSCD View Post
Quote:
I bought this yesterday. 4K quality and going to give it a try. I like the oem look it provides. I'll let you guys know how good it is when I get it

FITCAMX Dash Camera for BMW 5, 6, 7 Series GT, G30, G32, G11 Car Driving Recorder with Front Lens 2160P 4K Accessories Built-in WiFi Loop Recording G-Sensor Night Vision APP(Android, iOS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X3FJ58M...7YJJ90GXQ94X92

Let me know if you guys are interested. I'll hook you up with the guy selling this on amazon
Hi, do you still have the contact info for the seller? How is yours doing? Any issues with yours?
Yes I do. But the seller is the same one from Amazon so you can purchase it there if you want. I've had no problems with the unit and been very happy with it.

This is the sellers FB info. Very responsive and helped me all throughout the installation process
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #29
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep

My FitCamX was delivered and I'll say with 90% certainty, the combination of chipset and sensor is not truly 4K capable. The '4K' video looks interpolated and output at 1440p looks much clearer- especially when you want to zoom for details.

I'm going to see how the night recording looks at 1440p before I make a decision about whether to keep it or not. Maybe email the seller and see if there is a firmware update that improves quality in any way.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #30
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've had it for a while now and it's still working solidly. Like how it feels oem. It's capturing videos at 4K so I'm happy with that. I can clearly read the license plate of other cars if need be.
Any issues after your card fills and it goes to start rewriting over old videos? I'm noticing after the card fills it starts taking much shorter clips and misses footage. So instead of a 3min video I get three 45sec videos with gaps between where footage isn't recorded.

Can you share what firmware your camera had installed?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #31
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any issues after your card fills and it goes to start rewriting over old videos? I'm noticing after the card fills it starts taking much shorter clips and misses footage. So instead of a 3min video I get three 45sec videos with gaps between where footage isn't recorded.

Can you share what firmware your camera had installed?
I have to check if I have the same problem. He did give me a firmware update for a fix to something else. I will try to give that to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #32
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Seller is really cool and helpful. Reach out to him on whatsapp. Just be mindful hes in China so different time zones.

I got his dashcam for my G30 and have no complaints at all. Also got it for my GLE350 and works just as well.

Highly recommend for the G30s and other cars he makes for.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:56 PM   #33
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to check if I have the same problem. He did give me a firmware update for a fix to something else. I will try to give that to you.
That'd be great. I'm on firmware ending 510_V20
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #34
MarkSCD
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 X6M, '18 M550i, '21 X3 M40

Quote:
Yes I do. But the seller is the same one from Amazon so you can purchase it there if you want. I've had no problems with the unit and been very happy with it.

This is the sellers FB info. Very responsive and helped me all throughout the installation process
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #35
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We're you able to check this out? I'm working on eliminating other potential causes- so far it doesn't appear to be the memory card. I'd suggest everyone with this camera check this out- you don't want it missing crucial footage.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #36
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We're you able to check this out? I'm working on eliminating other potential causes- so far it doesn't appear to be the memory card. I'd suggest everyone with this camera check this out- you don't want it missing crucial footage.
Reached out to him but no reply yet. I'll let you know once I hear back from him.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #37
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Got a reply from him and told me he is not familiar with the problem. He said to try and use a different sd card to see if the problem will persist on ta different one. I'm using a 128 gig one so that it has a longer recording time. 128 works just fine for me. I will try to monitor and see if I have missing data on mine as well. I haven't had a chance to do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #38
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got a reply from him and told me he is not familiar with the problem. He said to try and use a different sd card to see if the problem will persist on ta different one. I'm using a 128 gig one so that it has a longer recording time. 128 works just fine for me. I will try to monitor and see if I have missing data on mine as well. I haven't had a chance to do so.
Appreciate, look forward to what you find.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #39
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Cabin fuse box (z44) is located under the dashboard in the right side footwell.
see attached image. BMW have conveniently grouped fuses for us

Slot f59 should be empty. its allocated for acc.

Tap into any fuse circled yellow if you need continuous/ permanent power to run dashcam whist car is off/ parked, but you car will display an annoying battery drain notification!.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #40
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Ive hardwired my thinkware dashcam straight to the battery. Did it myself. Bits only cost me £5.
It's been 6 months and ran flawlessly so far.

Will be the same for any dash cam that requires continuous power.

Tapping into a fuse for continuous power (enable parking mode features) causes an annoying battery drain notification.

dashcam manufactures/ retailers will tell you to buy an external dashcam battery module, which only last about 8-10hrs per charge and costs £200 ($250) + installation.

It cost me £5 and I did it myself!
It's pretty straightforward. wiring is simple.
Im not a "car guy", so if I can do it, then others can too.

It'll take 2hrs. Well worth it, and can be used for future dash cams/ other devices you'd like to power when the car is off.

for an additional £5 I installed a 12v socket in the boot + discrete usb out for powering GPS tracker and mobile hotspot.

Decent cameras have a built in voltage cut-off so you can safely leave your car off with it in parking mode for 2-3 weeks without fear of draining your battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 11:37 AM   #41
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
any updates on the fitcamx? I ordered the 4k version and should have it tomorrow. Kind of wish I got the rear facing as well after seeing it would be simple to wire to the fitcam connection. does it work when parked or does it power down?
      01-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #42
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
any updates on the fitcamx? I ordered the 4k version and should have it tomorrow. Kind of wish I got the rear facing as well after seeing it would be simple to wire to the fitcam connection. does it work when parked or does it power down?
Mine still good and doing what its supposed to. No complaints from me.
It powers down like 6 minutes after the car is turned off and locked.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #43
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3LaZeN View Post
Mine still good and doing what its supposed to. No complaints from me.
It powers down like 6 minutes after the car is turned off and locked.
I was looking at my rear view area and don't have a sensor or window there. What is the one on the camera mount for?
      01-20-2023, 10:21 PM   #44
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Do you know if the rear camera will work if you have the factory rear sun shade installed? I know the BMW factory rear camera won’t work because the sun shade is in the way.
Appreciate 0