BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Only Blind spot retrofit for G30 2017

11-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
Fornax85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520XD

Only Blind spot retrofit for G30 2017

Hi all,

My car is G30 2017 and has the following extras:
- Parking Assistant Plus (S5DN)
- Active Cruise Control+Stop&Go Function (S5DF)
- Outside Mirror With Auto Dip (S4T8)

It doesn't have a Lane departure warning or Lane change warning, only a front, and back collision warning.

Because I'm the second owner of the car, I'm still wondering how the guy before me ordered all of these cool extras: 360 Cam, Self-parking, ACC, but not a Blindspot...

To my question...
From what I've read, to have a fully functional Blindspot, I need the mirrors' glass, the right steering wheel, rear sensors, and coding...something more?

The glass:
Ok, I'll buy mirrors' glass, but will I have to do new wiring because of the LED symbol in the mirror or it is only a different pin in the existing harness?

The Steering wheel:
I read that it has to have a vibration generator in it. To be honest, I'm not sure if I have it, but I think I don't. I read also somewhere(not guaranteed), that if the car has a heating steering wheel, then it will only require the Vibration generator to be added, if not it will need to change the whole steering wheel together with some cluster wiring....I'm completely unsure for this! The car doesn't have option code S248

The sensors:
The car has 6 (2 Side) sensors in front and 6 (2 Side) at the back. So I have them.

The coding:
I think is the easiest part and I'll find someone to do it.

Because of the steering wheel, I was wondering if it's possible to have only mirrors' glass and coding, without the part with the vibration, which will be very easy to install if it doesn't require a new harness to the mirrors...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #2
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

I have two full option steering wheels for sale.

One with Heating and one without.

These will fit pre LCI cars
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax85 View Post
Hi all,

It doesn't have a Lane departure warning or Lane change warning, only a front, and back collision warning.

Because I'm the second owner of the car, I'm still wondering how the guy before me ordered all of these cool extras: 360 Cam, Self-parking, ACC, but not a Blindspot...

To my question...
From what I've read, to have a fully functional Blindspot, I need the mirrors' glass, the right steering wheel, rear sensors, and coding...something more?

The glass:
Ok, I'll buy mirrors' glass, but will I have to do new wiring because of the LED symbol in the mirror or it is only a different pin in the existing harness?

The Steering wheel:
I read that it has to have a vibration generator in it. To be honest, I'm not sure if I have it, but I think I don't. I read also somewhere(not guaranteed), that if the car has a heating steering wheel, then it will only require the Vibration generator to be added, if not it will need to change the whole steering wheel together with some cluster wiring....I'm completely unsure for this! The car doesn't have option code S248

The sensors:
The car has 6 (2 Side) sensors in front and 6 (2 Side) at the back. So I have them.

The coding:

Because of the steering wheel, I was wondering if it's possible to have only mirrors' glass and coding, without the part with the vibration, which will be very easy to install if it doesn't require a new harness to the mirrors...
My guess is you only need the mirror glass not the whole thing. The LED is inside the mirror glass. I'd recommend taking one of the mirror glasses out and check if there is an extra harness.
For the steering wheel I'm sure it's only coding since you have the vibration already.
I have a set of mirror glasses with blind spots, dim and heated LHD for sale if you're interested.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      12-01-2021, 07:26 AM   #4
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax85 View Post
Hi all,

To my question...

The glass:

The Steering wheel:

The sensors:

The coding:

The parts you have mentioned (2x rear bumper radars, mirrors and vibrated steering wheel) are the minimum requirements; but blind spot warning is the part of 5AS Assistant Package; so only these may not be enough, and you may need a different versions of one or more of these ECUS: BDC, SAS, DSC etc.
You also need KAFAS cameras additionally for the lane assist function. It is different than blind spot.
Since I've never seen Blind Spot as a stand alone option on G30 it is risky to spent money on these 3 for nothing.

Actually it is not worth it BTW. Basic blind spot warning feature only lights on a yellowish triangle on the mirrors and there is no other visual warnings or sounds inside the car. Most of the times especially during day time it is nearly impossible to notice that little triangle light in your peripheral vision (and I'm a bike rider with a trained peripheral vision). Only the active blind spot assistance (that comes with 5AT) that overrides steering wheel movement is something worth considering.
Steering wheel vibration is again needed for lane changing assistant and it's a separate feature (which needs KAFAS), and it is also quite annoying so you'll just turn it off or set the vibration to min. It is only something worth investing money with the features comes with 5AT.

My suggestion for you is to don't take the risk of investing money on this feature or go all the way with 5AT
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00